PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets have already inquired about Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.
going to the jets makes the most sense

it's ny (even though they play in jersey)

2 mannings, in NY, all that endorsment cash, and a shot at an all manning superbowl

that's too good for the archies to pass up

Most sense for who? Certainly not Manning. Manning probably wants no part of the real life soap opera that is the NY Jets. Add the fact that they have questions all over the offense and their defense has been steadily declining since Rex took over. You have a big ego Rex.

Peyton Manning is already one of the highest grossing athletes in terms of endorsements. At one point in time, he was starring in every other commercial on television. Really how much more endorsement deals will he get? He isn't going to go for local deal that NY offers because an athlete of his caliber only does national spots. And he is already one of the world's most recognized and marketable athletes. Going to NY will do little for his endorsement contracts.

As for an All Manning Super Bowl, he can have a shot at that in Miami, Denver, Tennessee, or Houston (all mentioned as possible landing spots). In fact, he might have a better shot at an All Manning Super Bowl in a few of those cities since he doesn't have to fight Brady and Belichick for the division title. Going to NY gives him no better shot for an All Manning Super Bowl than anyone of several other AFC teams who could be potentially interested.

Depends on what his priorities are. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he wants to compete for championships, in which case staying out of the AFC East makes the most sense.

Actually Denver may make the most sense. The AFC West sucks. The Broncos have some building blocks for a good team if they could have a QB who puts up points. They have a great o-line, some good WRs, a good RB, and some playmakers on defense. The only downside is the backlash of the Tebowites who are fiercely loyal.

14 years of playing a minimum of half your games in a dome can sure pad a QB's stats. Not that Manning isn't a HOF qb, but imagine what Brady could have done to his stats playing that many dome games....:rocker:

brady's a better qb

i'm just saying, you guys are typecasting him

if he joins the jets, that shows balls

going to a dome team is kinda ****yish

Actually Denver may make the most sense. The AFC West sucks. The Broncos have some building blocks for a good team if they could have a QB who puts up points. They have a great o-line, some good WRs, a good RB, and some playmakers on defense. The only downside is the backlash of the Tebowites who are fiercely loyal.

denver makes alot of sense in terms of that probably being one of the best defenses he'll ever play on (potentially)

but unless they offer way beyond what other teams do, i don't think he's going to do that to tebow

denver makes alot of sense in terms of that probably being one of the best defenses he'll ever play on (potentially)

but unless they offer way beyond what other teams do, i don't think he's going to do that to tebow

But you think he would do that to Sanchez?

I don't think what he does to Tebow will factor into it. He is probably going to go to the team that either offers him the most money or gives him the best chance to win or both. I don't think the Jets will fall into either category.

But you think he would do that to Sanchez?

I don't think what he does to Tebow will factor into it. He is probably going to go to the team that either offers him the most money or gives him the best chance to win or both. I don't think the Jets will fall into either category.
i think he would actually love to do that to sanchez for some reason

and remember, i still think he won't pass any physicals, and will retire

i'm just saying, if he's healthy , jets seem like a great thing for that family IMO

I was thinking the same thing with a couple of other teams in weaker divisions too, that's a good point.

Assuming that the SF 49'ers won't quite live up to the bar that they set this past yr (not saying they can't be competitive, just that I don't see another 12 or 13 win season), Seattle or Arizona could make good landing spots too.

Denver of course, is another one. I'm guessing that he goes to a team where he feels a decent shot of winning the division and going to the playoffs. After all, his previous division wasn't exactly top notch.

I can't see anyway possible that the NYJ and their outside, cold circumstances would be a potential landing spot for Manning. And that's not even taking into acct many of the issues that you have already covered. Then there's the fact that you'd take all of those circumstances and factor in the fact that they play the NEP 2x every yr, and I would think Manning would consider the odds lessened about going to the playoffs.

This is one more enormous gaffe by the NYJ coach and front office. All this will do is cause more discord throughout the Jet locker room, and problems with trusting/confidence issues with Sanchez. They must be total idiots.

I was thinking the same thing with a couple of other teams in weaker divisions too, that's a good point.

Assuming that the SF 49'ers won't quite live up to the bar that they set this past yr (not saying they can't be competitive, just that I don't see another 12 or 13 win season), Seattle or Arizona could make good landing spots too.

Denver of course, is another one. I'm guessing that he goes to a team where he feels a decent shot of winning the division and going to the playoffs. After all, his previous division wasn't exactly top notch.

I can't see anyway possible that the NYJ and their outside, cold circumstances would be a potential landing spot for Manning. And that's not even taking into acct many of the issues that you have already covered. Then there's the fact that you'd take all of those circumstances and factor in the fact that they play the NEP 2x every yr, and I would think Manning would consider the odds lessened about going to the playoffs.

This is one more enormous gaffe by the NYJ coach and front office. All this will do is cause more discord throughout the Jet locker room, and problems with trusting/confidence issues with Sanchez. They must be total idiots.

you guys seem to be acting like hypocrites though

you rag on sanchez and call him garbage, but when the jets seem to make a play for someone who may be a legit qb still......you say it's bad form because they're hurting sanchez's confidence.........

you rag on sanchez and call him garbage, but when the jets seem to make a play for someone who may be a legit qb still......you say it's bad form because they're hurting sanchez's confidence.........

???

Yes, I rag on Sanchez. Partly because he's on our team's biggest rival, and partly because he just isn't all that good.

However, I fail to see any link between the two.

The NYJ are constantly saying that "they have Sanchez' back," and that "he is their QB of the future, by far." Then they allow word to leak out that they're attempting to get another QB, who they almost 100% won't get...???

WTF will that do to his "confidence" that they are always trying to bolster?

Manning will have his choice of teams. Most, if not all will have a lot more cap room to spend than the Jets. Most, if not all do not play in a division where one team has won 9 out of the past 11 yrs, and lost the other 2 on tie-breakers. Most, if not all will play in a much better environment than the city of NY. Most of the other teams will play in a better environment, as Manning is accustom to playing in a weak division at home in a dome...

The Jets are already in cap hell. They couldn't even franchise their biggest defensive player this yr, b/c they can't afford it. He is a staple of their defense, yet they don't have the money!!

The Mannings have already made it perfectly clear that they do not want to compete against each other, and attempting to be the king of the biggest city in the USA would kind of go against that thinking, no?

What do the Jets have that Manning would actually want? Especially since he's trying to play in a warm environment and go to the SB, on top of getting paid?

This surely seems like a P.R. nightmare for a QB who by all accounts, is having terrible issues feeling confident and trusting his team/teammates.

This thinking is almost hilarious. If they actually had a chance at getting him, then I would see what you're saying, but all they're doing is completely runing their QB's confidence--which sucks already. They are the ultimate morons.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, sportsinteraction.com (popular betting site in N.America, which is rare considering all of the S.American ones) has the KC Chiefs as the betting favorite for where Manning will go.

You guys have hijacked the thread. The intent isn't to talk about where Manning will actually go. The intent is to encourage the drum beating about the Jets signing him. I know he won't actually go there. This is about torturing the Jets fan base and eroding Sanchez' confidence.

You guys have hijacked the thread. The intent isn't to talk about where Manning will actually go. The intent is to encourage the drum beating about the Jets signing him. I know he won't actually go there. This is about torturing the Jets fan base and eroding Sanchez' confidence.

I hear ya, but the original topic has been completely covered:

1. The Jets can't afford him, and if they want him, they'll have to shed even more talent. This is an 8-8 team that has to shed talent without signing Manning.

2. There are a ton of factors involved, but uneless we know "Mannings priorities, it's only speculation.

3. If he does become a Jet, the Pats/Jets and Brady/Manning rivalries will hit a fever pitch.

This was all hashed and rehashed within a page. We could keep rehashing, the thread could derail or the thread could die. Since you oppose derailment, would you rather rehash more of let the thread die?

Last edited:
no one knows yet who can and can't afford him, because no one knows yet where he may want to go

it's just not known right now how much or little he's going to take

The new league year begins on March 13 at 4:00 p.m. ET. At that moment, every team must be in compliance with the salary cap.

And yet no team knows specifically what it will be.

A league source tells PFT that the teams still have not been told the amount of the 2012 salary cap. As of March 3, the NFL and the union were “scrambling” to increase the number.

:D

Teams still don’t know the 2012 cap number | ProFootballTalk

Sanchez is a mediocre QB. One thing that makes him mediocre is that I think he is immature and can lack confidence.

I think the Jets have little shot at getting Manning and will be stuck with Sanchez. By flirting with Sanchez, it will only make Sanchez a worse QB next season.

What I disagree with is that the Jets are a good fit for Manning (and I didn't even bring up Ryan's Ground and Pound philosophy). Manning, if healthy, is a huge upgrade over Sanchez, but that isn't the argument I am disputing.

I think the point here is that Sanchez clearly doesnt have the support of many of his teammates, and the coaching staff, theorectically in order to fix that, has come out and said they stand 100% behind him, and he is their QB.
By pursuing Manning, the coaching staff is, again, showing its phonyness, and the factions in the lockerroom that are antiSanchez have more ammo in their argument.
It is a dysfunctional franchise, so adding more dysfunction cannot be good.
Of course if they sign Manning, Sanchez will be cut, so that point is moot (other than the coaching staff being proven disinenuous) but does anyone really think Peyton Manning is going to sign on to be part of that circus?

I hear ya, but the original topic has been completely covered:

This was all hashed and rehashed within a page. We could keep rehashing, the thread could derail or the thread could die. Since you oppose derailment, would you rather rehash more of let the thread die?

LOL. I'd rather than Pats fans come up with ways they are going to influence the press and the internets to keep the story alive in the greater NYC area. I want NYC area Pats to pledge to call in to the local sports talk shows and ask creative questions like, "If we sign Manning, do we keep Sanchez, hoping he can learn enough to become a good quarterback in a couple of years?" Or, "If Manning comes on board, does Rex completely abdicate involvement with the offense?" Etc.

The Jets Implosion Theatre I think has been the most entertaining hit of 2012. My only problem with it is all the drama is so over the top, it isn't believable.

They are going to destroy Sanchez completely before the season even starts.

If Sanchez can't handle it then he'll never handle big game pressure. Much as i hate the jets this is a good way to put Sanchez through the wringer and see oif he has the sack to handle it.

Manning would have to be an idiot to even consider the Jets. IMHO, the Jets have a better shot at finishing fourth in the AFCE then they do competing for the crown.

Their time was 2008 and 2009, now their time is is past. Their lines both Offensive and Defensive are a mess. Thry have three good O-linemen, but unfortunately you need at least five; and then someone to step in and play when others are dinged.

The DL has no pass rush, and outside of Pouha not even middling talent.

The LBs were going over the hill last season; and the Safeties are no prize, worse than the Pats, even.

Who catches the ball? Problem child who was booted off the Steelers; or the guy booted off the Steelers AND the Giants? Both/either are a Team wrecker.

Add Manning and they climb two positions in the AFCE to around .500 and not even within waving distance of the Pats. I'd give the Phish an even chance to match their record or surpass it, even with Manning wearing the Jets colors.

The only thing I see ahead for the Jets is... rebuilding....

Reminds me of the love affair with F-a-r-r--h- r-r-v-e

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey