PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets give Sanchez 5-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha_Dumbass_by_Cheating4Charity.gif

I just got home after spending the night with a smoking hot woman, and hearing this news is still the best thing that's happened to me today.

Yes, I am still drunk.

Hope she didn't cost too much :eek::cool:

Last edited:
is it possible to overdose on green schadenfreude?

if so, I think I need a medic....fast....

The interesting thing is what would Sanchez be worth(before the new contract) if they shopped him to Browns, Cardinals, Seahawks, Titans, etc.., maybe a 2nd rounder?
No way anyone would give a 2nd for him, and with the contract, even before the extension he is literally untradable.
If he were cut today, there would be a grand total of zero NFL teams that would offer him a starting job.

This is $20 million that frankly the Jets HAD to spend, out of their own sheer incompetence.

While other organizations give young QBs time to develop, not only does Rex Ryan thrust him into the spotlight, he "guarantees" Sanchez will lead the team to a Super Bowl victory while playing in the same Division as Brady.

Then the same coach who guaranteed a Super Bowl victory, not once but twice, uses that same word to assure the young QB that he will always be the team's starter.

Rex again proves that his definition of the word "guarantee" and the rest of our definitions of the word "guarantee" aren't exactly the same thing by openly flirting with Peyton Manning.

With Sanchez's confidence now torn to shreds, and with Peyton opting to avoid the circus that is Wrecks Ryan, they are seeking to bolster Sanchez' confidence with $20 million more in guaranteed money.

Sanchez better be sure he has the definition of "guarantee" in writing.

Seriously, my biggest worry about the Jets pulling out of their tailspin was that they would have saved cap space by cutting Sanchez, they could have spent that money on all their other holes, signed some other slug like Henne or McNab and drafted a QB in the 2nd or 3rd to develop and by 2014 could be over their cap problems, have built a deep team and not have sANCHORchez tied around their neck.
Instead, with a short stack, they went all in on their pair of 4s.

Given the organization’s apparent mixed feelings about Sanchez, getting the extra money and converting all of it to a guaranteed payment was a good career move. He could have been dumped after 2012, with the $6 million due next year forever gone.

Breaking down Sanchez’s “lipstick and powder” contract | ProFootballTalk

In other words, Sanchez just made sure that he gets his $20 million, plus base salaries and workout bonuses, for this year and next, and this deal can be 'revisited' by him in the future if he ever shows real improvement, while the team is stuck with him for at least this year and next.

Thanks Tanny!

The Jets just guaranteed one of the few worst starting QBs in the NFL $20million for 2 years, and people around here were complaining about tagging Wes Welker.
Every time I see the difference between the Patriots and the Jets I thank God I wasn't born 150 miles to the south, and into a life of sportsfan misery.

is it possible to overdose on green schadenfreude?

if so, I think I need a medic....fast....

This has been the BEST EVER season for those of us bad, bad people who revel in the Jets soap opera.
Overconfident Super Bowl coach looses BOTH games to the Pats. Badly.
Jets miss the playoffs but not too soon so their fans get their hopes back only to see them crushed in Dec
Season ends with major FA starter benching himself...and unknown to the HC!
Then the locker room implodes with first one, then two then multiple players embarrassing the coach and their team mates
Icing on the cake is their pathetic pursuit of Peyton which disses their existing QB in the eyes of the players and fans...
whose dogmeat stature they try to rehabilitate by a contract extension which actually screws the team's opportunities for a better QB for two more seasons
Only a massive draft debacle can top this off

Last edited:
After guaranteeing money in the next season in contracts for players like Bart Scott and Santonio Holmes have been a surprise success for the Jets, it was a smart move guaranteeing Sanchez's salary in 2013. With his ceiling being limitless, this will stop Tanny and Rex from having the temptation to cut him if he has another down year since he is destined to be the greatest QB of all time.

Stupid contract for a QB they have little faith in to free up $6.4 million in cap. Granted, that is what happen when you do stupid deals like the ones that Tannenbaum has done in recent years. You gotta keep on doing them.

At least now the Jets have enough cap room to cut Bart Scott.

The only way to top this would be for Manning to now fly to New Jersey and innocently ask for the meeting with Tanny that he was promised. In other words, make it look like the Jets actually had a chance at him (but just blew it by spending the cap money on Sanchez). Then he can act upset with the Jets for offering something to him and taking it away, and fly down to Miami to talk to the Phins about becoming their QB.

This has been the BEST EVER season for those of us bad, bad people who revel in the Jets soap opera.
Overconfident Super Bowl coach looses BOTH games to the Pats. Badly.
Jets miss the playoffs but not too soon so their fans get their hopes back only to see them crushed in Dec
Season ends with major FA starter benching himself...and unknown to the HC!
Then the locker room implodes with first one, then two then multiple players embarrassing the coach and their team mates
Icing on the cake is their pathetic pursuit of Peyton which disses their existing QB in the eyes of the players and fans...
whose dogmeat stature they try to rehabilitate by a contract extension which actually screws the team's opportunities for a better QB for two more seasons
Only a massive draft debacle can top this off

Or Hunter returning as the starting RT... :D

Francises' gift just tells his team that playing lousy get's a larger paycheck. Talk about paying for mediocrity. Jets will suck as long as this guy is quarterback and Ryan will be out at the end of next season when they finish
4th in the division. Nice bonus plan Jests.

if you break down this contract it appears 2 years are fully guaranteed, and the jets can release sanchez after 2 seasons for free if it doesnt work out.

also he just gave the jets a bunch of $$ to play with in free agency this year.
jets arenow like 16below the cap.

if you break down this contract it appears 2 years are fully guaranteed, and the jets can release sanchez after 2 seasons for free if it doesnt work out.

So what are you trying to say? That it's a good deal?

Not free they'd have amortized guaranteed money as dead cap

The killa is that this removes the Jets from spending a #1 on a QB or signing a good FA QB prospect like Flynn for 2 more seasons.
Good times. Good times.

Not free they'd have amortized guaranteed money as dead cap

The killa is that this removes the Jets from spending a #1 on a QB or signing a good FA QB prospect like Flynn for 2 more seasons.
Good times. Good times.
To Jet fans, it is free to take 6 mill of cap space and push it into the future, because every year they end up cutting more players to cover the cap space they pushed forward, and maybe one of these years they might just be able to afford some players.

The Jets gave Mark Sanchez a RAISE.
No objective person could not find that moronic.

A couple of comments on twitter I thought I would share.

Greg Cosell: "Maybe just as important for Jets is whether Greene is true feature back. With Sanchez run game must be foundation of off"​

To me this is something that is very true, and is being overlooked. In conjunction with that, how effective is the Jets offensive line at this point? I heard some radio host who was doing a horrible job of hiding his being a Jet fan this past week, practically in glee declaring that Manning to the Jets was a sure thing, berating a caller who suggested the Jets o-line was over rated. He threw out the names of Mangold and Ferguson - both very good players - but what about the rest of the line? Jets ranked 30th in rushing yards per attempt (3.8) and ranked 20th in sacks allowed (40) despite being in the middle of the pack in passes attempted (34 per game, 17th).

Tim Graham: "Dolfans should recognize last night's Jets maneuver. Same move when Fins couldn't land Harbaugh, then pledged undying love to Sparano."​

So what are you trying to say? That it's a good deal?

yes. he had 2 years remaining on his deal anyway. they just freed up 6mil in money.

if he sucks in 2 years they can cut him and have it cost nothing. and like i said his original deal was ending in 2 years anyway.

but if it works out for him, hes signed at a friendly number for 3 years.

The Jets gave Mark Sanchez a RAISE.
No objective person could not find that moronic.

2million dollar raise, and freed up 6mil in this years cap. not bad job by mr.t

Last edited:
yes. he had 2 years remaining on his deal anyway. they just freed up 6mil in money.

if he sucks in 2 years they can cut him and have it cost nothing. and like i said his original deal was ending in 2 years anyway.

but if it works out for him, hes signed at a friendly number for 3 years.

2million dollar raise, and freed up 6mil in this years cap. not bad job by mr.t

It's only a good deal if he becomes a good QB. You just guaranteed Sanchez to be your starter for the next 2 years where if he wasn't resigned the Jets could have got rid of him after this season if he has another bad year.

Tanny & Rex have tied themselves to Sanchez. If he doesn't turn the corner all 3 of them will be gone in 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back