PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets give Sanchez 5-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's all get along, now... everybody sing!

Start spreading the news, that came out today..
They’re gonna screw up all up again, in ol’… New York!
That Vagabond QB
Got paid $20.5 Mil guaranteed to stay
And spend the next 3 years at 8-8..
In ol’ New York
Now they can wake up in a city that never truly competes
Rex will be the clown of all clowns
Buddy’s fat son
Let’s get a godamn snack!
A – number - one and done..
It’s up to you (Rex and Tanny).. to screw…. Newwww Yyyyyorkkk!

Choke on it, jests fans! :rocker:

Last edited:
I think Mark Sanchez is a quality NFL QB.

Try caffeine. A brisk walk outdoors, perhaps. Speak to a wise old person, or maybe spend a few quiet, reflective hours in the local library. Pet a kitten and gaze into the sunny sky. Reality DOES exist, sometimes we just need to reach out to it.

Rhody is a closet fan of anything that is the polar opposite of the HC and QB and organization who frustrate him here with their inability to win it all all the time... In other words just another classic malcontent, card carrying member of the fellowship of the miserable fan this region has bred for decades. For them the grass is always greener, even if it grows in a swamp...

It is actually 3 years added to the two he has. $40 million of new money. Mediocrity for the NYJ QB to continue for a few more years.

Mediocre is a complement ot Sanchez

Don't confuse the NY media with the Jets themselves. Jets never publicly swung and missed going after Manning because the Jets never went after Manning. All the over the top and ridicilous media shilling for Manning is what forced the Jets to extend Sanchez and that's a pretty stupid reason to do so but that's the Jets.
I think Mark Sanchez is a quality NFL QB and showed that in his first 2 years in the league. He's coming off a bad year but has a new OC to work with. Be careful what you wish for Patriot fans when making judgements on young QB's.

What the hell are you talking about?

This is the most psychologically screwed up QB in the NFL.

He does more second guessing and head scratching in a typical game than Woody Allen does in a movie.

Don't confuse the NY media with the Jets themselves. Jets never publicly swung and missed going after Manning because the Jets never went after Manning. All the over the top and ridicilous media shilling for Manning is what forced the Jets to extend Sanchez and that's a pretty stupid reason to do so but that's the Jets.
I think Mark Sanchez is a quality NFL QB and showed that in his first 2 years in the league. He's coming off a bad year but has a new OC to work with. Be careful what you wish for Patriot fans when making judgements on young QB's.

Just the type of comments that would be expected from the person who has established themselves as by far the worst judge of QB play that posts on this board.

Also, the Jets admitted pursuing Manning, so your little made up version of the facts there? Also incorrect. You are consistent though.

LOL! I love this part of the Jets' press release:

Mark Sanchez: New deal shows I’m the leader of the Jets | ProFootballTalk

Does Brady need a contract extension to show the Pats that he is the leader of the team? Does Aaron Rodgers?

Hey Mark, you know what reminds the team that you are the leader of the team? Showing some leadership. Things like contract extensions and the "C" on your jersey should be the results of leadership, not proof of it to make your teammates follow you.

When you are the leader of a professional sports team you don't have to 'tell' anyone it is self evident.

Gotta love the insanity of the Jets, always working from desparation. We should start a dead pool for Rexy.

is this the jets way of saying we are sorry mark for calling on manning? :D

More like - oh my what was that we just stepped in?

Doomed by my location I was listening to WFAN (I know - I shouldn't but when driving I need a sports fix) and Francessa was lighting up the Jets on their approach to Manning. He must have called them liars at least half a dozen times if not more. Going after Manning means they haven't assembled the right team, they don't believe in Sanchez, they are are not in sniffing distance of a Superbowl. He also pointed out that to sign Manning they would have to cut Sanchez and another high profiler, even two if they wanted to bring in Wayne as well. The diatribe lasted well past the 20 minutes I had available. While a little extreme Francessa did make some very valid points. But that's the trouble in going public, you show your hand and suddenly everyone knows you've got a 10 high at most.

This is PR trying to recover from the misstep and has all the potential to lead them further from the goals they promised their fans.

I agree that the Jets probably never were truly interested in Manning and that this was probably a negotiation tactic. A good strategy on their part.

That said, this is still a really bad signing. If I understand correctly, the 3 year extension means his contract totals $58M over 5 years. That is reasonable money if Sanchez plays to his peak ability, which is a middle of the pack game manager type QB who can make the occasional clutch play and give his team a chance to win in January (IF the Jets are ever a playoff caliber team in this stretch). That IMO is best case scenario for this signing, which is ok I guess given the market for the starting QB in today's game. But when you look at the risks of him not progressing any further than he has or regressing (which I believe he did this year despite a better rating - check the ease of the Jets schedule as compared to 2010), this is a high risk-moderate reward signing which is not the commitment you want. Almost as bad as the Santonio Holmes extension last year.

More like - oh my what was that we just stepped in?

Doomed by my location I was listening to WFAN (I know - I shouldn't but when driving I need a sports fix) and Francessa was lighting up the Jets on their approach to Manning. He must have called them liars at least half a dozen times if not more. Going after Manning means they haven't assembled the right team, they don't believe in Sanchez, they are are not in sniffing distance of a Superbowl. He also pointed out that to sign Manning they would have to cut Sanchez and another high profiler, even two if they wanted to bring in Wayne as well. The diatribe lasted well past the 20 minutes I had available. While a little extreme Francessa did make some very valid points. But that's the trouble in going public, you show your hand and suddenly everyone knows you've got a 10 high at most.

This is PR trying to recover from the misstep and has all the potential to lead them further from the goals they promised their fans.

In other words, all it cost the Jets to make their interest in Manning public, was an extra guaranteed year with a mediocre QB who they have no confidence in, and bid against themselves in a market that had no other takers, brilliant!

What is being missed here is that the Jets wanted to sing Peyton Manning.
They admitted this.
One day after he is free, they no longer are in pursuit.
How did that conversation go:
Beep:
Rex: Hey Peyton, Rex, hit me back
Beep:
Rex: Hey Peyton, you must have missed my call on your flight with Elway. Call me.
Beep:
Rex: You do remember all the good things I said about you. Call me,
Beep:
Rex: Hey Manning, I guarantee we are going to win the SB this year, I don't know why you are disrespecting me by not calling back, I guess you are happy with your one ring
Beep:
Rex: Sorry, Peyton, you know I'm a competitor, I don't make any excuses for myself, thats why you should come here and take back NY from your baby brother.
Beep:
Rex: Allright, the joke was funny, call me back so we can get serious
Peyton: What
Rex: Oh my God you answered!!!!!! Peyton I want to invite you to have the honor of coming to play for the 2012 SB Champion NY Jets. You have heard how everyone wants to play for me so its your turn.
Peyton: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahaha
Lose my number Fatass.
Tannenbaum: How'd it go Rex
Rex: We are stuck with Sanchez, throw money at him so he stops acting like a girl and maybe his teammates will think they have to respect him. Now I'm gonna go have a goddamn snack

In other words, all it cost the Jets to make their interest in Manning public, was an extra guaranteed year with a mediocre QB who they have no confidence in, and bid against themselves in a market that had no other takers, brilliant!

What is even funnier is that they just gave 40mill to a guy that if they cut, would get signed for about 1 year and 2 mill to compete for a backup job.

I just got home after spending the night with a smoking hot woman, and hearing this news is still the best thing that's happened to me today.

Yes, I am still drunk.

Last edited:
What is even funnier is that they just gave 40mill to a guy that if they cut, would get signed for about 1 year and 2 mill to compete for a backup job.

The interesting thing is what would Sanchez be worth(before the new contract) if they shopped him to Browns, Cardinals, Seahawks, Titans, etc.., maybe a 2nd rounder?

I just got home after spending the night with a smoking hot woman, and hearing this news is still the best thing that's happened to me today.

Yes, I am still drunk.

that's funny...I just got back from reading J.I. and I'll be dymned if I don't feel drunk too...

that's funny...I just got back from reading J.I. and I'll be dymned if I don't feel drunk too...

Earlier I checked the thread with the poll on good signing vs. bad signing which was like 78% in favor of good signing. I didn't even need to read the thread, that itself was hilarious enough.

Is there a 12 step program for that?

This is $20 million that frankly the Jets HAD to spend, out of their own sheer incompetence.

While other organizations give young QBs time to develop, not only does Rex Ryan thrust him into the spotlight, he "guarantees" Sanchez will lead the team to a Super Bowl victory while playing in the same Division as Brady.

Then the same coach who guaranteed a Super Bowl victory, not once but twice, uses that same word to assure the young QB that he will always be the team's starter.

Rex again proves that his definition of the word "guarantee" and the rest of our definitions of the word "guarantee" aren't exactly the same thing by openly flirting with Peyton Manning.

With Sanchez's confidence now torn to shreds, and with Peyton opting to avoid the circus that is Wrecks Ryan, they are seeking to bolster Sanchez' confidence with $20 million more in guaranteed money.

Sanchez better be sure he has the definition of "guarantee" in writing.

Last edited:
...I think Mark Sanchez is a quality NFL QB and showed that in his first 2 years in the league. He's coming off a bad year but has a new OC to work with. Be careful what you wish for Patriot fans when making judgements on young QB's.

Mark Sanchez is a bottom tier NFL QB, and he's shown that in all 3 of his years in the league. It's nice to see you finally come out as a Jets fan, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back