PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets give Sanchez 5-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
let's face it....with our "defense", even making the playoffs was a success last season...we had our chances in the Bowl....bitter pill for sure but anybody who says they wouldn't want a chance in the big dance is a liar.

Its the best news I've heard in a long time. The Jets royally screw up again!

Kind of reminds me of that time when the Dolphins extended Sparano after they were publically humiliated by Jim Harbaugh.

Wonder why that is?

Wonder how many cover articles the Cheese got as part of the extension.

Not the Jets best move even given the history of not very good moves in the last 3 years.

This makes me smile.

Before this last year, if you whiffed on a top 5 draft pick it actually set your organization back a few years because of all the locked up money. How bad is it when you whiff on the extension for the QB when you try to shatter his confidence.

I guess, this was their way of trying to say "we love you man." Still, having that money locked up in Sanchez is good for the rest of the AFCE (unless he turns it around).

This makes me smile.

Before this last year, if you whiffed on a top 5 draft pick it actually set your organization back a few years because of all the locked up money. How bad is it when you whiff on the extension for the QB when you try to shatter his confidence.

I guess, this was their way of trying to say "we love you man." Still, having that money locked up in Sanchez is good for the rest of the AFCE (unless he turns it around).

It's more like, "Well, we couldn't get someone better so hey man, we love you?"

The JETS had to do this after publicly swinging and missing on Manning. That they or anyone else ever believed they had a shot at landing Manning is just proof of how delusional they are and how delusional the media remains about them. They just extended a guy they have no faith in because they had no choice but to try and prop him up in hopes of salvaging the GM's job. That's why Favre was traded for, why Mangini got fired, why Rex got hired, why Sanchez just got extended, why Rex will get fired and eventually Sanchez will too before accountability finally lands on Tannenbaum himself... because it will never land on Woody Johnson.

Isn't this kind of like the $4M rock Kobe gave Vanessa to save their marriage after he raped someone in Colorado? Unfortunately for Sanchize and the Jesters, the only "rings" they'll ever exchange can be purchased in the Midtown Diamond District.

This makes me smile.

If by "turn it around" you mean improving your Chevy Volt to keep up with the neighbor's Lexus then I wouldn't really worry about it.

is this the jets way of saying we are sorry mark for calling on manning? :D

LOL! I love this part of the Jets' press release:

“I’m going to be the starting quarterback for the next few years here, and that’s exciting,” Sanchez said, in comments distributed by the Jets’ P.R. staff. “It gives the team just a reminder that I’m the leader of this team, and I’m excited to get back, and I’m going to be working my tail off these next few months to become the best possible starting quarterback that this franchise can have.”

Mark Sanchez: New deal shows I’m the leader of the Jets | ProFootballTalk

Does Brady need a contract extension to show the Pats that he is the leader of the team? Does Aaron Rodgers?

Hey Mark, you know what reminds the team that you are the leader of the team? Showing some leadership. Things like contract extensions and the "C" on your jersey should be the results of leadership, not proof of it to make your teammates follow you.

Last edited:
The JETS had to do this after publicly swinging and missing on Manning. That they or anyone else ever believed they had a shot at landing Manning is just proof of how delusional they are and how delusional the media remains about them. They just extended a guy they have no faith in because they had no choice but to try and prop him up in hopes of salvaging the GM's job. That's why Favre was traded for, why Mangini got fired, why Rex got hired, why Sanchez just got extended, why Rex will get fired and eventually Sanchez will too before accountability finally lands on Tannenbaum himself... because it will never land on Woody Johnson.

Don't confuse the NY media with the Jets themselves. Jets never publicly swung and missed going after Manning because the Jets never went after Manning. All the over the top and ridicilous media shilling for Manning is what forced the Jets to extend Sanchez and that's a pretty stupid reason to do so but that's the Jets.
I think Mark Sanchez is a quality NFL QB and showed that in his first 2 years in the league. He's coming off a bad year but has a new OC to work with. Be careful what you wish for Patriot fans when making judgements on young QB's.

Don't confuse the NY media with the Jets themselves. Jets never publicly swung and missed going after Manning because the Jets never went after Manning. All the over the top and ridicilous media shilling for Manning is what forced the Jets to extend Sanchez and that's a pretty stupid reason to do so but that's the Jets. .

Tannenbaum said publicly yesterday the Jets pursued Peyton Manning.

LOL. Jets are stuck with their Sanchize!

is Sanchez so emotionally weak that he needs an extension to coup with all the Peyton rumors? NEWSFLASH: you're not a good QB, Mark Sanchez

I think Mark Sanchez is a quality NFL QB and showed that in his first 2 years in the league. He's coming off a bad year but has a new OC to work with. Be careful what you wish for Patriot fans when making judgements on young QB's.
All i have to say is ......WTF are you smoking? It must be pretty good stuff. Sanchize can't carry a team on his passing, he needs a running game to compliment him. If he doesn't have the run game to help out he throws a good percentage of his passes the the other team.

Last edited:
Don't confuse the NY media with the Jets themselves. Jets never publicly swung and missed going after Manning because the Jets never went after Manning. All the over the top and ridicilous media shilling for Manning is what forced the Jets to extend Sanchez and that's a pretty stupid reason to do so but that's the Jets.

A few things:

- The Jets did pursue Manning. The Jets confirmed it. I don't think they pursued him too hard because I don't think Manning wanted to go to New York and steal the spotlight from his brother. Plus, I don't think Manning wants any part of the NY media. He doesn't like the media spotlight and probably prefers going to a smaller market. I think they never pursued it too aggressively because Manning wanted no part of them, not that they didn't want Manning.
- Sanchez was never a quality QB. At his best, Sanchez is a good game manager. Even in his first two years, he was wildly inconsistent and most games he consistently struggled for three and a half quarters while the Jets' defense kept the game close, low scoring game and then Sanchez would put together a great drive, maybe two.
- The difference in the Jets' fortune last year was not the collapse of Sanchez. It was the fact their defense was average, the running game was mediocre, and the o-line sucked.
- People want to blame Schottenheimer for last year, but he is the same OC who brought the Jets to back to back AFC Championship games. If you are going to argue that Sanchez is a quality QB for doing that, you gotta give Schotty the same credit.
- The only way this could backfire on the Pats if they use the cap room to significantly improve their defense. If they get say Mario Williams, Dwight Lowrey back, and Red Bryant (for example) with the cap money, then it might be bad for Pats' fans. But considering the Jets have been bad at acquiring talent since Mangini left in both the draft and free agency, I am not that worried that they will rebuild that defense with the cap room.

Last edited:
Matt Moore, Ryan Fitzpatrick and the worst of all Sanchez. It's always nice to start with a 1st round by.

I end this post with another famous Ray Rayism, today has been a waterfall of hilarity..."for all intensive purposes".

I think this guy was in my freshman English class a few years ago where he not only defended this mangled cliche, but also created (and defended) a number of other Mrs. Malapropisms like irregardless and unthaw.

If you don't think the NYJ reached out to PM before giving MS that contract your are kidding yourself- regardless of any media-related attention it would garner. Whatever the reason, PM declined to even listen to the NYJ. What FA does that? There may be some PR-related salvage operations going on here but I'm pretty sure the NYJ fan base isn't exactly enthralled with MS's productivity these past few years and any MS complaining would backfire on him- not the NYJ. The contract is a stop-gap for essentially two seasons and for a starting QB is relatively cap-friendly.

The NYJ finished with the 3rd worst QBR last year. MS has been in the league 3 years now and the consensus is that he is a at-best mediocre QB. They signed MS because they had to as they really didn't have much of an alternative.

Last edited:
===========================

Could not laugh, still bitter.

It still boggles my mind that you insist/persist on torturing yourself long-distance. Isn't life challenging enough without borrowing sorrow from that ridiculous collection of fools and miscreants? As long as Woody Johnson owns that team it will be futility incarnate. Even your hero Joe Namath knows this.

And so Sanchez will be the starter — or at least make starter money — for two more years. What happens after that depends on what happens in the next two seasons.

Once we get the official breakdown, we’ll break it all down. For now, it’s safe to say that this isn’t a phony, stop-gap contract. Which may be great news for Sanchez, but possibly bad news for Jets fans.

Source: Sanchez deal has $20.5 million in real guarantees | ProFootballTalk

Great deal for the JESTS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill