PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets fan poll says Jets record 15-1 - only loss to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good Holmes/Holt comment. I see you aren't one of those that missed the fact that a couple of 50 catch season and a career high of 75 doesnt make the convict in waiting another Jerry Rice.
BTW, Holmes has 6 100 yard games in 4 NFL seasons. (Wes Welker had 6 and Moss had 5 LAST YEAR, Moss had 9 in 2007) But lets not let facts get in the way.

Let's not let facts get in the way that Holmes had 1300+ yards receiving last year and the highest YPC ratio in the NFL. You harp on about LT & Taylor being finished, why not Holt?

Is it possible for you to go one post without a negative Jets slant/positive Pats slant? That's what I meant about objectivity. I haven't seen one objective thing in any of your posts yet. There are good teams beside the Pats you know, and they aren't the best.

Holmes is overrated. Holt will get you close to identical production but the downside he is 33 and Holmes is in his prime. But Holmes is suspended, comes off as a bad lockeroom guy, while Holt is a future HOF and a great lockeroom guy.

Throw in the 5th round pick needed for trade the Jets should've just got Holt. :D

Come on now. Holt hasn't even had over 800 yards receiving since 2007. I mean, seriously? Identical production?

Yeah, Holmes was a terrible locker room guy when the Steelers won their Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Great post. It's natural to be a homer. I'm a homer. You aren't.

I would rather a Jets fan NOT agree with me,at least post it

As I said earlier in this thread, I expect a 3 team close race with one game seperating the 3 with a tiebreaker deciding the division with 10-6 being the afc east top record,this division will be a dogfight,no one team will dominate the division IMO,Not the Jets OR the Pats.

Last edited:
Its a statement that a #1 defense can overcome a below average to average QB

Not comparing the two exactly as even but both teams had a #1 defense

How do you know that Sanchez is going to throw another 20 INTS based on a rookie season? - Some of the long time QBs in the league had a rough rookie year.

I hate defending the Jets for any which reason because I simply dislike them especially pretty boy Sanchez,but you have to give a QB another year or two to get his act together,if he throws another 20 then you might have a real good case,but I think your hatred of the Jets leaves no possibility of any member of that team possibly improving at all in your eyes.

Why is it when a player gets drafted as a Patriot and has a bad rookie season its "give him another year or two to develop" but when its a rival team he will suck forever based on 1 year?,Yes its called being a radical homer

If you don't know that Sanchez wont be different in 2010 than 2009, then why do you assume the Jets are a #1 defense? They have changed half of their secondary (and its extremely debatable that it got better) there are still rumors that Ellis and Thomas will be gone, Jenkins is a huge question mark to start the season and a snowballs chance in hell to finish it, they lost a starting DE. That is up to 6 of 11 starters turned over. Why do you assume their D won't change?
Also, once again, saying some sucky rookie QBs got better is half a loaf, because a lot more stayed sucky.
Kinda like this:
Every year colleges great powers schedule cream puffs. They destroy them.
But I can't say that it will happen, because Appalachin State beat Michigan a few years ago.
Its the difference between making an affirmative argument with facts, and disputing a sound one with 'one time the opposite happened'.
Now I may be taking it to an extreme, but really the history isnt even close that QBs who play poorly when they are young stay bad way more often than they become good.

Let's not let facts get in the way that Holmes had 1300+ yards receiving last year and the highest YPC ratio in the NFL. You harp on about LT & Taylor being finished, why not Holt?

Is it possible for you to go one post without a negative Jets slant/positive Pats slant? That's what I meant about objectivity. I haven't seen one objective thing in any of your posts yet. There are good teams beside the Pats you know, and they aren't the best.

You are kidding right? Every post I am responding to is 100% Jet Homer. When the facts dont fit, we get 'well we lost out KR but we will be fine because it was all coaching'.

I've said all along Holmes is a weak #1, solid #2. My slant and yours both indicate that. Lets not make him out to be Jerry Rice, or overvalue the contributions of a guy who will miss at least 4 games.

You are kidding right? Every post I am responding to is 100% Jet Homer. When the facts dont fit, we get 'well we lost out KR but we will be fine because it was all coaching'.

I've said all along Holmes is a weak #1, solid #2. My slant and yours both indicate that. Lets not make him out to be Jerry Rice, or overvalue the contributions of a guy who will miss at least 4 games.

No one said he's Jerry Rice. He's a top-20 NFL receiver.

If you don't know that Sanchez wont be different in 2010 than 2009, then why do you assume the Jets are a #1 defense? They have changed half of their secondary (and its extremely debatable that it got better) there are still rumors that Ellis and Thomas will be gone, Jenkins is a huge question mark to start the season and a snowballs chance in hell to finish it, they lost a starting DE. That is up to 6 of 11 starters turned over. Why do you assume their D won't change?
Also, once again, saying some sucky rookie QBs got better is half a loaf, because a lot more stayed sucky.
Kinda like this:
Every year colleges great powers schedule cream puffs. They destroy them.
But I can't say that it will happen, because Appalachin State beat Michigan a few years ago.
Its the difference between making an affirmative argument with facts, and disputing a sound one with 'one time the opposite happened'.
Now I may be taking it to an extreme, but really the history isnt even close that QBs who play poorly when they are young stay bad way more often than they become good.

Believe me,I hope you are 100% right and that Sanchez does stink this year,next year and 10 years later but I still think you have to give the kid a chance to either prove himself or remove himself from being a starting QB in this league before we call him a bust.

This year will decide his worthiness as the Jets are putting all thier apples in one basket this year to try and go for it all and if he does not develop they could be in for tough times down the road when that defense does break apart via FA the next few years as all teams go through and then the burden falls on his shoulders and he is no longer in it for the ride,he will be asked to produce even more.

The Jets defense lineup is not set yet and you assume those players you mentioned may all be gone,but AS OF NOW the majority of players from 2009 will be there again so while they may not be a #1 in 2010 because its hard to do it multiple years,I think theres no definite proof that they will fall back either,Cromartie is key to that secondary.

Last edited:
You've got more chance of finding Osama bin Laden in the Afghan hills than going 19-0 Gunnails. :p
More of a chance of finding him in Beverly Hills...

Come on now. Holt hasn't even had over 800 yards receiving since 2007. I mean, seriously? Identical production?

Yeah, Holmes was a terrible locker room guy when the Steelers won their Super Bowl.

Holt is now playing with a better QB, potentially for 16 games.
Holmes is now playing with a worse QB, for 12 games at the most.

Holmes caught 79 passes last year, lets give him the 80th and call it 5 a game.
That means 60 if he plays all 12 games he is eligible for.
However, last year the Steelers completed 351 passes 216 to WRs the Jets completed 210 passes, 110 to WRs.

So Holmes is taking those 5 rec a game from an offense that completed 22 a game to one that completed 13, and from one that completed 13.5 to WRs to one that completed just under 7 a game to WRs.
Those numbers tell me the same WR in the Jet O catches between 50 and 60% of the passes he catches in a Pitt O. (And my eyes tell me that makes sense given the difference in QBs)
So now we are down to 30-36 catches if he is as big a part of the Jet offense as he was in Pitt and plays 12 games.
Wow, I'm not real impressed after doing the math.

No one said he's Jerry Rice. He's a top-20 NFL receiver.

He has not been a top 20 receiver so far in his career. Not with 3 seasons of about 50 catches and one of 79 (playing in a pass happy offense too)
He has the potential to be top 20, but he certainly hasnt achieved that yet.

Man, I can't wait until this overrated Jets team fails miserably, just like the Phins last year.

He has not been a top 20 receiver so far in his career. Not with 3 seasons of about 50 catches and one of 79 (playing in a pass happy offense too)
He has the potential to be top 20, but he certainly hasnt achieved that yet.

PLEASE humor me and name 20 better receivers. Ridiculous.

Right now I see the Jets' entire offense as a question mark. If they gambled right and letting Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, and Alan Faneca go does not affect their offense at all in the negative, they COULD be a 12 plus win team. But that would still need Sanchez to progress and not be the INT machine he was during the season. It will also mean the defense can't take a step back their (which happens frequently in the second year of a new system after a fast start). But that is a huge gamble. If they gambled wrong, they could be sub .500.

Personally, I think 15-1 is ridiculous to expect at this point. Even when people thought before the season last year that the Pats were stacked and even most in the media had them among the elite of the NFL, few Pats fans were realistically thinking 15 wins for the Pats in the regular season.

Believe me,I hope you are 100% right and that Sanchez does stink this year,next year and 10 years later but I still think you have to give the kid a chance to either prove himself or remove himself from being a starting QB in this league before we call him a bust.

This year will decide his worthiness as the Jets are putting all thier apples in one basket this year to try and go for it all and if he does not develop they could be in for tough times down the road when that defense does break apart via FA the next few years as all teams go through and then the burden falls on his shoulders and he is no longer in it for the ride,he will be asked to produce even more.

The Jets defense lineup is not set yet and you assume those players you mentioned may all be gone,but AS OF NOW the majority of players from 2009 will be there again so while they may not be a #1 in 2010 because its hard to do it multiple years,I think theres no definite proof that they will fall back either,Cromartie is key to that secondary.

I think you are missing my point.
I havent said he is a bust. Ive said its shortsighted to say he will improve from year 1 to year 2 as if its a certainty, because it is not.
I also said that its inconsistent to say you cant expect Sanchez to not be better than last year, and then out of the other side of your mouth annoint the 2010 Jets the #1 defense.
I hope Cromartie is the key, because he is awful. I don't care if he gets 8 Ints, he will hurt more on the other 900 plays than he helps with those 8.
Ryan, if he continues in the same manner, puts a lot of pressure on his corners. He jettisoned a solid fundamental, safe corner who fits that system for a 'go for the glory' guy who when on an island will still gamble, and who needs to tackle in that role, and either won't or can't.
Sheppard was unspectacular but a much better fit, IMO, for a gambling aggressive D.

Even if those 2 players dont leave you still are looking at 4/11ths turnover plus whatever Taylor does.

I think you are missing my point.
I havent said he is a bust. Ive said its shortsighted to say he will improve from year 1 to year 2 as if its a certainty, because it is not.
I also said that its inconsistent to say you cant expect Sanchez to not be better than last year, and then out of the other side of your mouth annoint the 2010 Jets the #1 defense.
I hope Cromartie is the key, because he is awful. I don't care if he gets 8 Ints, he will hurt more on the other 900 plays than he helps with those 8.
Ryan, if he continues in the same manner, puts a lot of pressure on his corners. He jettisoned a solid fundamental, safe corner who fits that system for a 'go for the glory' guy who when on an island will still gamble, and who needs to tackle in that role, and either won't or can't.
Sheppard was unspectacular but a much better fit, IMO, for a gambling aggressive D.

Even if those 2 players dont leave you still are looking at 4/11ths turnover plus whatever Taylor does.

You don't watch the Jets at all. I'm convinced. Lito Sheppard was so ******* bad for this team last year when he wasn't actually injured. A good fit?

PLEASE humor me and name 20 better receivers. Ridiculous.

Go to NFL.com and look at the production of the top 20 WRs the last 2 years. Tell me how many caught 55 and 79.
Are you seriously telling me that a guy who just caught more than 55 passes for the first time in his life and had his 1st 1000 yard season has been a top 20 WR for his career??????????
Really, next you'll say Edwards is a top WR.

Holmes has ranked 16,49,56 and 62 in receptions in his career. How is that top 20?

You don't watch the Jets at all. I'm convinced. Lito Sheppard was so ******* bad for this team last year when he wasn't actually injured. A good fit?

A better fit than an undisciplined guy who refused to tackle that you are going to leave on an island.
But, Sheppard is gone, so he must have sucked right.

A better fit than an undisciplined guy who refused to tackle that you are going to leave on an island.
But, Sheppard is gone, so he must have sucked right.

To be fair, Sheppard sucked pretty bad. He's a huge reason why Manning was suddenly able to pick the Jets defense apart in the AFCCG.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the Jets schedule and their wagon load of "classy" veterans will cause them to implode and the Dolphins will be the ones neck and neck with the Pats for the division by December.

Last edited:
To be fair, Sheppard sucked pretty bad. He's a huge reason why Manning was suddenly able to pick the Jets defense apart in the AFCCG.

I'm not saying Sheppard was a great corner, I'm saying his game and his strengths and weaknesses were a better fit in a gambling D.
If you blitz all day, you are better having a corner that will leave some cushion and tackle, than a guy who is undisciplined, refused to tackle and gambles to get a pick every 3-4 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes