PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets, Eagles and post-Brady trading back

meatface

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
We have all heard the rumors that the Eagles are trying to trade up for Mariota and that the Jets are interested in him at 6. However I was listening to WFAN and they had a very good point that the Jets might be better served trading with the Eagles for a bunch of picks and Nick Foles. Foles has shown at times that he can be good but some would say that its entirely because of Chip Kelly so it would really depend on how the Jets view him. I have no idea what the jets will do and I hope that no matter what they make the wrong decision, but I wonder what the Patriots would do in a situation like this.
It seems likely that the Pats would trade back with the Eagles if they were offering a ton of picks but what if this was in a future draft where Jimmy G struggles and so the Pats have a high pick. Would the Pats take the picks and gamble on a guy who hasn't proven he can be the starter or would they take the QB even if he has a decent chance of busting?

We have all heard the rumors that the Eagles are trying to trade up for Mariota and that the Jets are interested in him at 6. However I was listening to WFAN and they had a very good point that the Jets might be better served trading with the Eagles for a bunch of picks and Nick Foles. Foles has shown at times that he can be good but some would say that its entirely because of Chip Kelly so it would really depend on how the Jets view him. I have no idea what the jets will do and I hope that no matter what they make the wrong decision, but I wonder what the Patriots would do in a situation like this.
It seems likely that the Pats would trade back with the Eagles if they were offering a ton of picks but what if this was in a future draft where Jimmy G struggles and so the Pats have a high pick. Would the Pats take the picks and gamble on a guy who hasn't proven he can be the starter or would they take the QB even if he has a decent chance of busting?

Well I don't think BB drafts a QB in the top 10 of the draft if he thinks he has a decent chance of busting. In that scenario, BB would take the picks. But if he rated the QB as a potential starter, then I doubt he trades back. There's too much value in a QB that can give you good starts - even if he's not actually a franchise guy. Look at how much love Cassell, Hoyer and McCown are still getting and they are at the lower end of "decent starts".

Well I don't think BB drafts a QB in the top 10 of the draft if he thinks he has a decent chance of busting. In that scenario, BB would take the picks. But if he rated the QB as a potential starter, then I doubt he trades back. There's too much value in a QB that can give you good starts - even if he's not actually a franchise guy. Look at how much love Cassell, Hoyer and McCown are still getting and they are at the lower end of "decent starts".
Agreed, a franchise qb is worth an entire draft. People love to mock washington for the RG3 trade but it's not as if the Rams have won anything since that trade. A qb can alter an entire franchise

People love to mock washington for the RG3 trade but it's not as if the Rams have won anything since that trade.

Put the Rams into a different division or in the same division at the different timepoint and they win it. You have to agree that it was unfortunate timing for them to get the draft picks at the same time as the 49ers and then the Seahawks grow dominant, plus they lost Bradford for what feels like every year.

I think the trade itself was - on paper - a big win for the Rams but sometimes things that are out of your control just go wrong. So in reality you are right that nobody really has won so far. That being said, I'd still make the trade every time.

Agreed, a franchise qb is worth an entire draft. People love to mock washington for the RG3 trade but it's not as if the Rams have won anything since that trade. A qb can alter an entire franchise

If RGIII had turned out to be the player they hoped, the trade would have been a huge win for both sides. And as you say, that's because he's a quarterback. Most other positions just aren't worth trading the farm for.

If RGIII had turned out to be the player they hoped, the trade would have been a huge win for both sides. And as you say, that's because he's a quarterback. Most other positions just aren't worth trading the farm for.

How good would RG3 have to be to be for the trade to be worth it? Given the gift of foresight, how many QBs in the league would be worth that much in trade compensation? Not many. Rodgers, Brady, Luck, Manning, and Brees is probably the short list. I guess you could argue for the inclusion of Roethlisberger and Rivers. Did anybody really think that Griffin was going to be on that level? Guys like Stafford, the other Manning, Flacco, Dalton, Ryan, etc. might give you quality quarterbacking for 10-12 years, but is that really worth all those picks? I doubt it. Would you give up three number ones and a two for the opportunity to have Stafford or Ryan on a rookie deal for five years? I'll pass.

How good would RG3 have to be to be for the trade to be worth it? Given the gift of foresight, how many QBs in the league would be worth that much in trade compensation? Not many. Rodgers, Brady, Luck, Manning, and Brees is probably the short list. I guess you could argue for the inclusion of Roethlisberger and Rivers. Did anybody really think that Griffin was going to be on that level? Guys like Stafford, the other Manning, Flacco, Dalton, Ryan, etc. might give you quality quarterbacking for 10-12 years, but is that really worth all those picks? I doubt it. Would you give up three number ones and a two for the opportunity to have Stafford or Ryan on a rookie deal for five years? I'll pass.
What is the other option? Good Qb's dont hit the market and if you stuck in the middle of the draft you have to keep picking mid level guys and hope they turn into something. You can say that should be their plan but their arent many of those guys in the league today. I think the browns would absolutely give up that haul to get a Qb like Matt Ryan or Stafford, otherwise they have to keep being terrible and hoping somebody falls into their lap.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back