PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets creating lockerroom problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
With all the money they are throwing around, the Jets could be creating locker room problems:

"You pay guys you don't even know, and the guys in the locker room - the guys that have your back - you don't give a damn about them," one player said Tuesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "It shows where the loyalty is."

Apparently, they are still far apart with Kerry Rhodes, who would make a nice Patriot:

The Jets are trying to negotiate a long-term extension with Rhodes, one of their top young players, but they remain far apart, sources said. The Jets' hesitancy could be costly, as the free-agent market for safeties is exploding.

I recall a story that ran about 3 weeks ago that Laverneous Coles was frustrated with his deal, and wanted an extension soon. If Damien Woody costs $5 million per, imagine how much can Coles demand.

I really think the Jets blew it. They spent like drunken sailors, as if they were one or two players away.

Moreover, other than Faneca, none of their signees are bona fide stars without question marks. Jenkins hasn't played nose; he's been injured a bit. Woody disappeared in Detroit. The bungled the Robertsen transaction. Pace is good but he reminds me of a poor man's Adalius Thomas at huge dollars.

That team still lacks a QB. They don't have a number one RB (though McFadden could be that).

Rhodes was their best player on defense last year. He's pissed.

Coles is one of their toughest players. He's pissed.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think Ratboy and Tannenbaum panicked a bit and shot all the guns at once. It's better than where Mangini will end up if he fails -- unemployed and unemployable in the NFL given his SpyGate whistle blowing -- but it was a risky strategy.

As a Pats fan, I'm delighted that they made these moves.

Kerry Rhodes meet the franchise tag. There is 0 chance he ever sees FA. That sonds like Laveranues Coles if anyone

Kerry Rhodes meet the franchise tag. There is 0 chance he ever sees FA. That sonds like Laveranues Coles if anyone

That strategy might work for one year. But be prepared for Rhodes to hold out to guarantee that they can't do it twice. See Samuel, Asante.

Jenkins hasn't played nose; he's been injured a bit.

Woody disappeared in Detroit. The bungled the Robertsen transaction. Pace is good but he reminds me of a poor man's Adalius Thomas at huge dollars.

That team still lacks a QB. They don't have a number one RB (though McFadden could be that).

Rhodes was their best player on defense last year. He's pissed.

Coles is one of their toughest players. He's pissed.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think Ratboy and Tannenbaum panicked a bit and shot all the guns at once. It's better than where Mangini will end up if he fails -- unemployed and unemployable in the NFL given his SpyGate whistle blowing -- but it was a risky strategy.

As a Pats fan, I'm delighted that they made these moves.
Stingley a couple questions for you, how is Kerry Rhdoes pissed? tannenbaum and his agent are in the process of working on a new deal and he alluded to that in several radio interviews yesterday. Do you have inside info? Coles should not get a new contract. He has two years remaining and he wont last more then 3 in the NFL. I love how some Pats fans here paint everything their rival teams do as horrible no matter if they greatly increase in talent. Everyone here knows that Faneca is on the decline and Jenkins stinks. Also we didnt F up the Robertson trade. His agent did not want to restructure with the bengals.

Last edited:
That strategy might work for one year. But be prepared for Rhodes to hold out to guarantee that they can't do it twice. See Samuel, Asante.
We have been working on a deal since the season ended, Rhodes has already said he likes Mike T and Mangini, I am not worried at all b/c he will have a new deal around the draft. We still have 20 million in cap room so no worries

They dug their grave when they refused to re-negotiate with Kendall. That opened a lot of eyes on the gang green.

We have been working on a deal since the season ended, Rhodes has already said he likes Mike T and Mangini, I am not worried at all b/c he will have a new deal around the draft. We still have 20 million in cap room so no worries

You might have 20 million in cap room for 2008 but how does the situation look a few years down the road with this spending spree?

You might have 20 million in cap room for 2008 but how does the situation look a few years down the road with this spending spree?

That 20 mil still includes a projected 6 mil to Pennington and 10 mil to robertson. I think our cap in a couple years will still be fine. The article is directly referencing Coles who is mad about not getting a new deal. It just would not be smart giving him an extension with his history of concussions

Last edited:
Ratboy Buttboy said:
blah blah blah Jets are doing fine, signing pro bowl players, extending all key players, plenty of money to go around, everyone happy in locker room, coach loved and respected throughout NFL, veterans spry, young players coming along nicely, Pennington throwing 80 yards with pinpoint accuracy, Curtis Martin's knee all better, predict 19 wins ....
... over the next decade :rofl:

I see the whole Coles thing ending badly. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't playing for another team in 2008. His whole situation is eerily like the Pete Kendall thing last year.

He has a point now. They overpaid a mediocre Damien Woody to play out of position. They overpaid for Pace who so far is an one year wonder and even his one year was good, not great. He claims the Jets promised to redo his contract this offseason and now only are willing to guarantee his last two years (this lying about redo contracts is becoming a trend).

Let's face it. The Jets decided to subscribe to the Daniel Snyder school of trying to build a championship team. This is a strategy that even Snyder seems to have realized does not work and no longer subscribes to. Look how well it worked for San Francisco last year.

I hear all these media experts predicting huge swings in records for the Jets. I have heard people predicting as much as 10 wins for the Jets next year. I still have questions on this team and whether they will even get to 8-8.

Will Woody just be a really expensive scrub? Yeah, he played fairly well at RT for the four games he played, but is that enough of a sample to overpay him like he did?

Can Kris Jenkins convert to a 3-4 NT, stay healthy, and be happy to tie up linemen to allow the LBs to get all the glory? He has had problems with injuries and being happy with his role in recent years. Converting to a NT in the 3-4 isn't all that easy either.

Is Calvin Pace more than an one year wonder and is he worth the contract that he got even if he isn't? He was an above average OLB LB last year getting elite money.

I see the Jets being a preseason sleep like the 49ers last year, but I think their expectations may not get close to being met.

They dug their grave when they refused to re-negotiate with Kendall. That opened a lot of eyes on the gang green.

BINGO!

The way they treated a respected veteran - Kendall - opened everyone's eyes last year. Mangini is an azzhole and they all know it. How do you remain loyal to a man who will turn on you at the drop of a dime? - pun intended.

I see the whole Coles thing ending badly. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't playing for another team in 2008. His whole situation is eerily like the Pete Kendall thing last year.

He has a point now. They overpaid a mediocre Damien Woody to play out of position. They overpaid for Pace who so far is an one year wonder and even his one year was good, not great. He claims the Jets promised to redo his contract this offseason and now only are willing to guarantee his last two years (this lying about redo contracts is becoming a trend).

Let's face it. The Jets decided to subscribe to the Daniel Snyder school of trying to build a championship team. This is a strategy that even Snyder seems to have realized does not work and no longer subscribes to. Look how well it worked for San Francisco last year.

I hear all these media experts predicting huge swings in records for the Jets. I have heard people predicting as much as 10 wins for the Jets next year. I still have questions on this team and whether they will even get to 8-8.

Will Woody just be a really expensive scrub? Yeah, he played fairly well at RT for the four games he played, but is that enough of a sample to overpay him like he did?

Can Kris Jenkins convert to a 3-4 NT, stay healthy, and be happy to tie up linemen to allow the LBs to get all the glory? He has had problems with injuries and being happy with his role in recent years. Converting to a NT in the 3-4 isn't all that easy either.

Is Calvin Pace more than an one year wonder and is he worth the contract that he got even if he isn't? He was an above average OLB LB last year getting elite money.

I see the Jets being a preseason sleep like the 49ers last year, but I think their expectations may not get close to being met.

A lot of what you said are my ?'s into the season. Interesting to see how this develops b/c this is a big year for Tangini more so Mangini

BINGO!

The way they treated a respected veteran - Kendall - opened everyone's eyes last year. Mangini is an azzhole and they all know it. How do you remain loyal to a man who will turn on you at the drop of a dime? - pun intended.

And it all goes back to Abraham, who was enticed to play for the tag by Tannenbaum's predecessor with the promise of a new long term deal to come. Then when Mangini landed and Tannenbaum got promoted and the former GM became a consultant, they told Abraham they were not bound by any promises and there was not money for him. So he ended up a tag and trade (because they couldn't even afford the tag). Having trouble with Kendall the very next season was when Mangini started to lose the locker room. Then there was the whole Pennington issue as they used him hurt in the process of trying to replace him. Existing veterans who remain will be warning young talent that the guys they are spending money on this year will make it impossible for them to re-sign you in a couple of years and you too will be lied to and abused and then rolled out the door as a malcontent to be replaced by a FA once the cap gets cleaned up again...Tangini are hoping that the veterans they just acquired and overpaid will become their new core in the locker room.

I think many of you need to stop over blowing everything just b/c you hate the Jets. Were going to lock up Kerry Rhodes b/c we still have plenty of money. He is the only player coming up for a contract the next 3 yrs who is any good on our team. Cotchery locked up for 5 yrs, Harris, Brick, Revis, Mangold, Leon all have 4 yrs or more on their contract, so who exactly would we be such a rush to resign? As bad as you all are make it out to be we got a good deal on jenkins by only giving up roughly 5 for 30 and 9.5 guaranteed. Rogers got 6 for 42 and 20 guaranteed. Woody's 5 for 25 is not killing our cap. We had 45 mil coming into the free agency period and we still have a cool 20 with both d-rob or pennington on the team. Sorry but the sky is not falling and our cap situation is still chill

Last edited:
That 20 mil still includes a projected 6 mil to Pennington and 10 mil to robertson. I think our cap in a couple years will still be fine. The article is directly referencing Coles who is mad about not getting a new deal. It just would not be smart giving him an extension with his history of concussions

I don't think you have 20 million in cap room with the signings you did. I heard it's down to around 10 now unless you get rid of Robertson. You're going to need that money if you're going to keep the 1st round pick.

Last edited:
I don't think you have 20 million in cap room with the signings you did. I heard it's down to around 10 now unless you get rid of Robertson. You're going to need that money if you're going to keep the 1st round pick.
trust me were around 18 mil to 20 mil under. I know that for a fact

trust me were around 18 mil to 20 mil under. I know that for a fact

Mind pointing me to the breakdown beacause some Jets fans don't think so on their board? I'm not doubting it but I'm interested in the breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes