PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets Confident They Can 'Completely' Shut The Patriots Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
as well it should. This game will be a 6.5-7.5 point spread by Sunday....and that's about right. 9.5 is just too high. That being said, if Haynesworth and Hernandez play then the Pats are going to cover

Favorites usually move higher, later in the week. But you'll also have large NY money pulling it the other way. And I guess most people still think these are the Jets of last year, and will play the Jets, but for evey ten of them there will be sharp capper betting 10x the other way.

It'll be interesting to see where the number lands. But no matter where, it looks good for our overall chances, -6.5 or -9.5, to get a W. I think in last year's playoffs we were -7. Interestingly, concerning some previous posts about motivation for each team going in; last year's playoff and last game between the teams, I actually pegged the Jets as more motivated/ready-to-play after that embarrassing mid season shellacking. That and it's tough anyway to win two in a row, especially against cagey adaptive veterans, injury free and peaking to boot.

On the other hand, I had a bad feeling our young pats might start reading their 14-2 press clippings during their week off, and even start thinking all those turnovers they recovered were a god given right. So for those and other reasons, I begrudgingly took the Jets to cover, and was pissed to the bank.

Strangely, the motivational factors where completely reversed going into the previous matchup (our big blowout win). With the Jets talking smack and literally preening themselves while simultaneously disrespecting the Pats in the media, while we, the better team IMO (but unknown to most), lay at home, in the weeds ready to throw a beatin' to remember on them, ...and after a loss to them few weeks back, so division title hopes pushing factor as well) That, not coincidentally, was my favorite pick last year. I took the alternate line of -10 (from -3 I think) and got whopping -200 or 2-1 payback on top of living a happy week.

Anyway, for his game, I think motivational effects are a wash. Pats have last year to avenge. For Jets, loss could end their season. Big rivalry, no surprises, yada, yada. Both team are equally pumped starting this game. The difference this year IMO, is skill level. Last year we were more closely matched, and this year we are superior. Significant roster turnover, youthful improvement, decline, important injuries, and returnees all factor in there. That Mangold injury must be especially worrisome for the Beans, he can't be fully effective right? That OL is a mess too, won't help there. That and I keep waiting for Sanchez to have a 7 INT game. Oh yes, they'll try to confuse Brady, take away one option with Revis, compress the field, but this time our matchups are so favorable everywhere else, it won't matter. I hope Brady spends less time trying to unravel the defensive disguises and just picks one at the line and hammers it in, and lets the talent take its course. The Jet's are all bravado right now. They have an doubt right now. Everywhere. I think the 9.0 line is right, and I see it playing out this way, 1) Jets confuse Brady, pull their OL together, and put up a few points. This how it starts no matter what. Tight. Then either we practically beat ourselves and win only by 3 to 7 and fail to cover. , or what I feel is more likely to occur, we slowly begin to realize we're the much better team, and we start taking it to them, winning in a route by 13+. They're gonna try like heck not to let us get that loving feeling, so they're gonna mix it up and try confuse TB12. It's imperative we let them know it's a different ballgame this year, and raise that doubt, as early as possible. Watch for serious bad blood to erupt if, or more likely, when we start to blow them out. They're gonna be pissed, and things will surely get ugly. Throw the Jet's playoff shannagins from last year into the mix, and we're gonna have a big dance party.

I LOVE it when the Jets talk s***! They are giving Bill Belichick TONS of motivational material for his team! :rocker:

It's so funny that so many of you Pats fans buy so hard into this BS.

So did Belichick decide not to put any of that "motivational material" up on the bulletin board before the playof game last year? :rolleyes:

So what your saying is "If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries" :D

In BB's case, he needs someone to shop for him. I think he goes on impulse buying and just buys the generic brands thinking they are of the same quality.
9773223-small.jpg
Heinz_Tomato_Ketchup1__62537_std.jpg

As time goes, it is becoming evidently clear that BB can't not draft good Defensive players consistently. I think he has done well on offense in general as most of the guys on the team were drafted by us.

Head over to TheGangGreen.com - the most complete source of New York Jets information and read their week 5 Jets-Patriots thread. There is little to no confidence there among the posters about this week. Most of them are resigned to taking a loss and just hope it is not a humiliation.

One guy suggested that the Jets run hail marys on every play and take the points that come when the receivers beat the Patriots secondary. The Jets fans know that they have no running game and that Sanchez is getting rattled as he takes beatings every week.

I have not seen a Jets game in its entirety and these guys have. They are worried and upset that the depth and quality is not there on offense. They clearly get it that the Jets shot their wad on high profile free agents and their depth chart is very very weak.

Bravado out of Rex and some of the players is empty talk.

IIRC most of them were resigned to defeat prior to that fateful night in Foxboro this past January. I wouldn't put much stock in their lack of confidence.

It's so funny that so many of you Pats fans buy so hard into this BS.

So did Belichick decide not to put any of that "motivational material" up on the bulletin board before the playof game last year? :rolleyes:

What is remarkable about the Jets players and Wrecks Ryan is that they do it every time a Jets-Pats game comes around and it is so many different guys blowing smoke. Most other teams have more discipline and if one player does say something that could help the Patriots or any other team, they get deep-sixed until after the game. The Jets are either undisciplined, or, they are encouraged to feed the noise machine (that would be the media and us).

Either way, it is a waste of energy and focus as we saw last season when Wes Welker did his nine-minute soliloquy on Wrecks' foot fetish.

The other newsworthy feature is how different the players' and Rex's bravado is from what the NY media and the Jets fans are posting who have little confidence that the Jets might win today. If the Jets were favored instead of a TD+ underdog in Foxboro, it would at least be consistent. In this case, it looks like the Jets are whistling past the graveyard.

Good luck today. Let's hope for a good game and no more injuries. This war of attrition is the biggest downer of this post-lockout season.

Last edited:
Yeah Bynum is a POS, but I don't remember him popping off during the Celtics battles. Bynum really came into his own as a douche last season.

ermm, garnetts a POS as well. (I am no laker fan btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes