PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets broke rules with Abraham trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
THe NFL and Players Association does not police their rules.

No team is supposed to franchise a player with the intent of trading them.
Clearly this is what happened with Abraham.
By cheating they got an extra first round pick. the league should have stepped in.

If the Patriots had taken a similar strategy with Viniaterri, perhaps they could have received a second or third round choice...but the Pats follow the rules.

marcus said:

By cheating they got an extra first round pick. the league should have stepped in.

If the Patriots had taken a similar strategy with Viniaterri, perhaps they could have received a second or third round choice...but the Pats follow the rules.
I still think we could, and should, have with Givens. Unfortunately the league has rules like this which are clearly ignored and they just sit there and do nothing.

marcus said:

Are you saying that the Patriots did not franchised Tebucky with the intent of trading him??

Miguel said:
Are you saying that the Patriots did not franchised Tebucky with the intent of trading him??
Clearly they did. But the Patriots having done it doesn't mean it's right for other teams.

The rule doesn't really need to be policed. Trading a player can have a large impact on a team's free agent signing success, depending on how the trade occurred (i.e did the player have a say, was the outcome favorable for both sides, etc.) I figure that the Jets preferred that the deal happen specifically with Atlanta in order to keep the player happy and their reputation relatively intact.

BelichickFan said:
Clearly they did. But the Patriots having done it doesn't mean it's right for other teams.

No, it doesn't. But Patriots fans should, IMO, not be complaining about the Jets' actions when the Pats did the very same thing in 2003.

Miguel said:
No, it doesn't. But Patriots fans should, IMO, not be complaining about the Jets' actions when the Pats did the very same thing in 2003.

Miguel, I'm almost certain that the Patriots and Jets were not the only team in NFL history to make trades like that. The NFL has not done a very good job of enforcing many of their rules. Tampering runs rampant in this league. I have yet to see any team punished for that practice.

franchise designation

If the Patriots did it with Tebucky Jones they should have been punished as well.
Did they actually franchise or transition Tebucky?

It is preposterous to labe l a player with a "franchise" designation as critical to your team and then trade them away less than a month later.

DefenseRules said:
Miguel, I'm almost certain that the Patriots and Jets were not the only team in NFL history to make trades like that. The NFL has not done a very good job of enforcing many of their rules. Tampering runs rampant in this league. I have yet to see any team punished for that practice.
I agree with you 100% on that. When everyone is breaking the rules, it is hard justifying singling out a single team.

Miguel said:
I agree with you 100% on that. When everyone is breaking the rules, it is hard justifying singling out a single team.
I agree...and I think all know there always is tampering a great deal of the time..when Ted Washington signs a deal a minute after miidnight...II mean..how did it happen IF there was not a lot of talk before??? Not complaining specifically about that, but using that as an example. Bentley supposedly had a deal with Phillie but I guess feared the NFL mIGHT do something and jumped to the Brown. We still don't know for dure Givens had one with Cleve....tampering is rampant and the NFL policing is more it's still a rule don't abuse it..and yet, it goes on..more and more. If there are rules..clean it up OR make up other rules that will allow a window or some such thing to control it. Have other teams used the franchise rule like that??
I am sure thre are cases...

I've always looked at trades as a bonus for the networks. IMO this is one of the reasons they look the other way. Trades pique interest and bring new TV/cable/internet fans into the fold.

This offseason will go a long way in helping the networks make a handy profit keeping the salaries up for the players. Like Miguel says...if everyone can do it then why complain now.

Would anyone have given a pick to grab Vinatieri...I doubt it...not for a kicker. ;)

Interesting...NYJ may NOT have broken any rule...

CLEARING THE AIR ON FRANCHISE DESIGNATIONS
There was plenty of misinformation in the media regarding the rules that applied to the efforts of the New York Jets to trade defensive end John Abraham. Some journalists suggested that, given Abraham's status as the team's franchise player, there was a specific deadline for a trade. Others suggested that there was a looming deadline by which Abraham could receive offers from other teams.
Here's a quick summary of the relevant rules, as amended by the new CBA.
The Jets could have signed Abraham to a long-term deal, and kept him with the team, at any time. If they had done so prior to March 25 or after July 15, they would have been able to use the franchise designation again in 2007. If they had done so after March 25 but before July 15, they would have lost the franchise designation for 2007 only. (Under the old CBA, the Jets would have forfeited the ability to utilize the franchise designation for the life of the deal. The new CBA amended that rule.)
Abraham could have entertained offers from other teams through July 15 or the date on which the first training camp opens, whichever is later. Of course, any offer sheet that Abraham signed would have required the new team to send two first-round picks to the Jets as compensation, if the Jets didn't opt to match the deal (and opt to match they wouldn't have done).
Here's the key -- the Jets could have signed Abraham to a long-term deal and traded him to a new team at any time, with no loss of the franchise tag in 2007 if he was traded on the same day that he signed the long-term deal.
(FROM PFT Talk...)
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back