PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets bring in Dennis Byrd for pregame speech tonite

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
via twitter.

OfficialBraylon:As God is my witness I have never been more ready to perform in my life. Dennis Byrd I respect, salute, and honor you

Sorry i havent known/followed this game long enough to know about him

OfficialBraylon: Gettin my drink on, then driving back to the hotel. Ready for the ass kicking we're going to get.

via twitter.

OfficialBraylon:As God is my witness I have never been more ready to perform in my life. Dennis Byrd I respect, salute, and honor you

Byrd broke his neck in a collision with a teammate trying to sack Kreig (KC's QB). I think in 1990 something- he could not walk again for a while and his football career was over.

I'm willing to bet that his speech had something to do with "you never know when your career is gonna end, so leave it all on the field."

via twitter.

Career ending neck injury. Defensive lineman for the Jets back in the day. Late 80's I think.

My guess is he's pitching the comeback story. He busted his neck in 1992 and I don't think he was given much of a chance to walk again.

Nice story, I can see what Rex is trying to do here, but his team is filled with Baffoons that just won't get it.

I feel compelled to make some sort of invalid comment but that would be in poor taste given the beat down the Jets will get tomorrow.

Last edited:
So I'm guessing Jack Tatum wasn't available.

Not gonna lambast the guy or this move. I just hope that the Jets get as much out of this as they did out of the symbolic Coles signing prior to week 13...

So I'm guessing Jack Tatum wasn't available.

I don't think so. Tatum died a few years ago. Though his speech might have been even more inspirational.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that wondered why the Jets would bring in a former failed #1 pick of the Patriots? With all respect, they couldn't apparently, he died this past July.

From Will McDonough's ten wackiest patriots stories...
The Patriots hope to get defensive lineman Dennis Byrd of North Carolina State, and he is still on the board when the Patriots are up. Holovak tells the writers he is going to call Byrd at home to give him the news that the Patriots have chosen him. The writers listen in on the call, which went approximately like this:

Holovak: "Is Dennis there, please?"

Answer: "He's not."

Holovak: "This is Mike Holovak, the coach of the Boston Patriots, and I'd like to get in touch with him. Do you know where I can reach him?"

Answer: "The hospital."

Holovak: "Hospital? What's he doing in the hospital?"

Answer: "He's just had a knee operation."

At this point, Holovak wanted to strangle McKeever, his alleged chief scout. Things get even better later in the day when McKeever tries to draft a wide receiver. Slight problem. The kid is dead. He was killed in an accident a month earlier.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Tatum died a few years ago. Though his speech might have been even more inspirational.

He died this past July. I remember some espn stories trying to paint him as someone other than the cheapshot dirtbag, no remorse having sob he was.

Jets posters over at theganggreen and jetsinsider are already proclaiming a Jets win solely based on Byrd's speech...

He died this past July. I remember some espn stories trying to paint him as someone other than the cheapshot dirtbag, no remorse having sob he was.

was it just this past July?! Well Tatum's been dead to me since he ended Darryl Stingley's career.

Jets posters over at theganggreen and jetsinsider are already proclaiming a Jets win solely based on Byrd's speech...
Well that does it then, no need to play the game. :rolleyes:

via twitter.

Perform what, Braylon? A lap dance for Sanchez or a hummer for Rexy? What a freaking idiot.

So Byrd breaking his neck is akin to getting toasted by the Pats. Ok, but then what, Byrd never played football again, and it took him a year of hard work just to walk. So going forward with the metaphor, the Jets should be about ready to field a team by next December?

Good one Rex!

Of course, just like Sanchez will go from Sanchise to Suckchez is a matter on minutes in their game thread.

So Byrd breaking his neck is akin to getting toasted by the Pats. Ok, but then what, Byrd never played football again, and it took him a year of hard work just to walk. So going forward with the metaphor, the Jets should be about ready to field a team by next December?

Good one Rex!

It's not the logic that is important with that team. They could have brought in Krusty the Clown for the pregame speech and the results would have been the same.

Byrd must have been proud of Bart Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down