Welcome to PatsFans.com

jets blitz package

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SVN, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0

How will the patriots handle this on sunday ? I saw some clips on nfl network where the jets D was moving around and confusing brady like we used to do to manning ?What is the best way to counter this and avoid free rushers coming to the QB ? all you X/O guys can give some insight ?

i think this could be the key to the whole game...
  2. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I think it is obvious improvement with the offensive line communication and they have been greatly improved since the miami game. i think that game was a wake up call.

I think their are two ways to handle this when passing, it will be a good strategic battle.

1. Short quick routes over the middle. Dump off passes to the rb. Screens if there is enough time to let it develop. And as some suggest slants.

2. Max protection when they are blitzing hoping it leaves the wr in a one on one matchup where Brady will have enough time to hit a recv'r for a gain of 20 or more yards when there is no safety to rotate over because he is blitzing.
  3. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

The simplest answer is to never get into a situation where a blitz heavy package makes sense. If NE never trails by more than 3 points and stays out of 3rd and long, blitzes will hurt the Jets more than they help, particularly with how well the offense is playing of late.
  4. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

teams blitz on first and 10 all the time. you are talking about obvious pass rush situations versus a blitz. teams also run blitz too on what is pwerceived as a running down.
  5. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I recall the Jets having most of their success on blitzing the pass later in the game. If the Jets were run blitzing, they were doing a poor job of it based on the results of the game.
  6. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Don't forget that the field was a mess when they last played. The Jets could bump the receivers to really throw off their timing since their footing was bad. This helped the blitzes. Having all the different pre-snap looks probably helped a bit in confusing the blocking assignments with Neal out, but to what degree I'm not positive. With the fake turf and the regular OL playing, I dare the Jets to blitz as much.

Regards,
    Chris
  7. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I didn't say they ran blitz. I said "teams", I was talking football philopsophy that teams don't just blitz on 3rd down.
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Maybe spread the field with 4-5 WR/TE, makes the reads easier for Brady, use screens and short passes. IMO the reads made by the WR recently have been better, more 'in-sync' with the reads Brady is making.

Remember last time the Pats were coming of the Colt game the Jets had a bye and 2 weeks to prepare that isn't the case this time.
  9. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I guess it is just a miscommunication. I interpreted the question more as "how can NE minimize the effectiveness of what the Jets did well last time?"

I do think that NE's offense has improved to the point that they can take advantage of a blitzing defense. When I discussed staying out of obvious passing situations (long and trailing late) I didn't mean that teams only blitz then, I mean that NE would have the entire playbook available and it is harder to effectively blitz a team in that situation.
  10. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Cory Dillon.
  11. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

It takes me two posts and over 100 words to basically say what you did in two.
  12. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0

i guess that is true but how much is it a result of playing teams recently which didnt blitz much like jax ?. i dont know how much tenn did but certainly not like the jets...
    lets hope the receiver position has come together enough for us. i know we shouldnt be talking about the new receiving core but its hard to ignore the fact that the pats were actually quite good against blitzing teams like pitt. dont know much of such a similar challenge we have faced this yr thus far.two times -denver and jets did it and it worked for them.
  13. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good post. Dont forget either that our O line was not at 100% for that game. The best way to stop a blitzing D is with an effective running game. Run right at the early down run blitzes, with lead blockers and pulling linemen. Dont allow obvious passing situations more than necessary, and utilize the screen, comeback, and dump off routes effectively directly behind the blitz. These actions are blitz killers. The zone vacated by the blitzer is wide open for lots of YAC, just as the lane behind the run blitzer is nothing but green, too.
  14. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

You make a good point that the last couple teams didn't blitz much, but I guess I am optimistic.

Nonetheless, I think this game is going to come down to NE winning the LOS on both sides. I wouldn't doubt it if Brady doesn't even go over 200 yards.
  15. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 3 / -2

Brady has read very quick and decide where to go. If PAts have an empty
    Back field and Brady has 5 receivers some short and intermediate routes
    he can make them pay for blitzing. He has to be quick and accurate.
    If they are succesful JETs will back off. The Oline needs to hold up
    for at least 2 seconds - 3 would be better. Brady needs to be very
    prepared to tuck and run if possible. Shotgun also may work well.

Another way is to run well. O'Callagahan is back and so is Neal. Graham
    seems to be healthy and Evans and Thomas have been making good blocks.
    If PATs come out and can run well and convert some 3rd and shorts
    running it that will also keep JETs back a bit.

I just think if JETs blitz Rhodes a lot this time PATs will be prepared to make
    them pay. I wouldn't be surprised to see PATs use a spread offense
    with Brady in shotgun in early part of the game.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +887 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

3 step drop out of the shotgun using 3 and 4 wideouts ... TOAST!!!:cool:

Mangini wants us to run ... he will bait us to run. Expect at least 40 passes from Brady Sunday.
  17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +887 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

You're going to be punching your table sunday at the Vine. :p

Just make sure they give you all plastic on your table... :p
    It's okay we'll be crushing them... :rofl:

BTW: Do you yell at the TV at the Vine or are you quiet???
  18. jczxohn1

jczxohn1 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Need to keep Rhodes from cheating up as well.
  19. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0

rhodes is being used the same way the pats use rodney ...move him around and keep the off guessing
  20. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

The blitz has given them major issues. They haven't really come up with an answer with a team that blitzes them heavily(ie. Broncos, Jets). Until I see the remedy I'm gonna be a bit nervous.

What game this season do you think they have improved on that heavily blitzed them?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.