PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets at Pats week 5 post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Game Thoughts: Jets Edition

I seem to recall 2 long passes to Hernandez that looked overthrown. It made me wonder whether Hernandez with the big knee brace was simply half a step slower than Brady expected him to be.

Despite the overthrows I was encouraged that he got behind the defense like that. He truly does give this team a deep threat. Hope the knee heels up to a 100% before he comes back from the bye in 2 weeks. Of course tomorrow would be best.

A special thanks to Plaxico Burress for dropping passes and stepping out of bounds.

Remember some haters this week saying the Pats had not played a decent D and the Jets would shut them down?

Eat it losers.

BOB called a great game, the defense was better, the Special Teams Sucked.

BOB called a great game, the defense was better, the Special Teams Sucked.

I don't recall a single poor punt, kickoff or FG attempt -- and their PR/KR was injured and inactive, and they were going against one of the league's top ST units. Under the circumstances, I'll take it.

I don't recall a single poor punt, kickoff or FG attempt -- and their PR/KR was injured and inactive, and they were going against one of the league's top ST units. Under the circumstances, I'll take it.

This exactly. People are focusing on McKnight and how well he did. Overall I don't think the special teams was all that bad.

Anyone remember a play when Tomlinson was on the ground and the Patriots defender apparently tripped over him so couldn't make the sack and let Sanchez complete a pass? The replay clearly showed Mr "Classy" neatly scissoring his legs around him.

Yeah it was Shaun Ellis after he blew up Laclassian on the Kerley TD and he defiantly scissored his legs.

A special thanks to Plaxico Burress for dropping passes and stepping out of bounds.

A minor point, but Chung (IIRC) deserves major credit for forcing that catch out of bounds at the last moment.

Great Win a couple of things i noticed about today.

Defense:

Vince Wilfork is really putting alot of time in with this D... I really hope he gets bodies back soon along the Dline to help out (Brace, Wright, Deadrick).

One of the better games i have seen Guyton play today. Spikes also defended the run very very well.

Our pass rush is getting close but is not quite there yet but it's a long season and there's time to improve.

On Offense: Brady had another Solid Game, should have been 2td's 0 Int's but Hernendez dropped the TD at the end of the Half.

Wes Welker is having and All Pro Year what a player he has been for us this year... and he returns punts.

BJGE once again ran well behind a great run blocking performance up front.

Chad is giving us flashes of production, i can't wait for him to get on the same page as Tom.

Great win today guys nothing makes me happier than seeing Rex after a losing press conference try explain the loss while still throwing in comments about how they are still a great team and there are alot of positives.

This exactly. People are focusing on McKnight and how well he did. Overall I don't think the special teams was all that bad.

The problem is that McKnight didn't do anything all that well. On his 88 yard runback, the Jets started off with a 4 man wedge and the refs missed it. The 4 men came together and then split apart. By the rules, it should have been blown dead and a penalty assessed.

I can't fault the Pats coverage unit for getting knocked around by an illegal formation.

Great Win a couple of things i noticed about today.

Defense:

Vince Wilfork is really putting alot of time in with this D... I really hope he gets bodies back soon along the Dline to help out (Brace, Wright, Deadrick).

One of the better games i have seen Guyton play today. Spikes also defended the run very very well.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Guyton was horrible out there. Both he and Spikes got burned by Greene where they over-ran their gap assignments and got clogged with blockers..

Our pass rush is getting close but is not quite there yet but it's a long season and there's time to improve.

They are doing the same things they've been doing. And they got 2 sacks and would have had a 3rd had Arrington actually gotten Sanchez down..

On Offense: Brady had another Solid Game, should have been 2td's 0 Int's but Hernendez dropped the TD at the end of the Half.

Wes Welker is having and All Pro Year what a player he has been for us this year... and he returns punts.

I was surprised to see him out there returning punts when they also have Vereen and Price. 2 guys who are supposedly healthy, but haven't touched the field despite the injuries on offense.

BJGE once again ran well behind a great run blocking performance up front.

Chad is giving us flashes of production, i can't wait for him to get on the same page as Tom.

Great win today guys nothing makes me happier than seeing Rex after a losing press conference try explain the loss while still throwing in comments about how they are still a great team and there are alot of positives.

Phil Simms seems to be doing that for him. That's all Simms was doing at the end of the game was talking about the positives that the Jets could take from this game.

5.) On that note, my one complait with Bill O'Brien today is his insistance of throwing the deep ball on third and anything longer than six. The Pats need a first down, not a TD pass.

Didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if beating a dead horse . . .

But surely not *every* route is deep, right? I mean, it doesn't seem sound to send everybody underneath. And once the ball is snapped, it's out of BOB's hands which receiver Brady will target. Without having a recording to scrutinize, I trust Brady's reads/decisions are sound more often than not.

More to the point: I think 3rd down is every bit as viable an opportunity as 1st and 2nd down to challenge the deep part of the field, especially considering that's clearly a part of the Pats offense this year. Goes towards being unpredictable and all that.

Last edited:
To DaB's earlier post...

Like I posted in another thread, I was there up close for that play...there was a clip on a Pats player at about the 30 yard line...saw it clear as day...on the DVR I just watched it's not as profound but it DID happen...I saw that 4 man grouping too but as soon as it split I figured that was OK...it's not, huh?

Last edited:
We'll have to agree to disagree. Guyton was horrible out there. Both he and Spikes got burned by Greene where they over-ran their gap assignments and got clogged with blockers..

They are doing the same things they've been doing. And they got 2 sacks and would have had a 3rd had Arrington actually gotten Sanchez down..

I was surprised to see him out there returning punts when they also have Vereen and Price. 2 guys who are supposedly healthy, but haven't touched the field despite the injuries on offense.

Phil Simms seems to be doing that for him. That's all Simms was doing at the end of the game was talking about the positives that the Jets could take from this game.

A couple of people have said that about guyton on this board... im going to have to watch the game again because i didn't see him screw up/take a bad angle like i usually see every game.

With the pass rush, we seemed to be a half second off getting to sanches numerous times and we had the arrington close encounter.

The above is why we are not an elite defense however, as the ravens showed the week before, that half second causes INT's, Fumbles and Sacks. I am hoping this defense comes together soon.

My only disappointment is haynesworth (I know he's injured and am not blaming him). i had very high expectations for him and wilfork in the middle being rested every now and then by wright, pryor and brace. This has not yet come to fruition

BJGE imrpoves every week. His use of blockers is approaching the sublime. He also breaks tackles and is running with more power every week. If he continues to improve at this pace..... Brady still doesn't trust him in the passing game.. he was open a lot without getting the ball.
I miss Woodhead.

Yeah, LawFirm is a man - always making the absolute best of a situation.

I don't know that you're wrong, but I'm skeptical of the assertion that Brady doesn't trust him to catch a ball. For one, I think that the Patriots have made a point to go increasingly vertical with the pass, especially over the middle. And who can blame them, the way the NFL has played the first month of this season? Brady has averaged 9.6 yard per attempt over the first five games! (That figure will surely come down to earth before all is said and done, but for contrast, even in '07 Brady threw for 8.3 YPA.) Without having the statistics in front of me, my sense is that RBs in general, including Woody before the injury, have been targeted less in the passing game than last year.

Moreover, Woodhead has a pretty unique skill set, certainly when compared to BJGE. Just to remind how how freakishly athletic he is:

Patriots #39 Danny Woodhead Video Highlights Hit! - YouTube

I loved that Holmes still did that first down thing he does in late in the 4th

All things considered i think our guys played pretty decent. Our own mental errors kept this game close.

Now...what happens when we get our All-Pro RT,all-pro MLB and both our TE's back to 100%? A sweep of the Jests i'm thinking.

Yeah, LawFirm is a man - always making the absolute best of a situation.

I don't know that you're wrong, but I'm skeptical of the assertion that Brady doesn't trust him to catch a ball. For one, I think that the Patriots have made a point to go increasingly vertical with the pass, especially over the middle. And who can blame them, the way the NFL has played the first month of this season? Brady has averaged 9.6 yard per attempt over the first five games! (That figure will surely come down to earth before all is said and done, but for contrast, even in '07 Brady threw for 8.3 YPA.) Without having the statistics in front of me, my sense is that RBs in general, including Woody before the injury, have been targeted less in the passing game than last year.

Moreover, Woodhead has a pretty unique skill set, certainly when compared to BJGE. Just to remind how how freakishly athletic he is:

Patriots #39 Danny Woodhead Video Highlights Hit! - YouTube

There were far too many times that BJGE was open with lots of room in front of him when no one else was. Sometimes, for easy first downs. Because it happened so much, there has to be more to it than a more verticle philosopy.

Play of the game: Shaun Ellis destroying LaClassian. "We physical, they finesse".

He got crushed like a baby. Now I know they got a TD from that play. But Eliis ****ed him up on that play.

He got crushed like a baby. Now I know they got a TD from that play. But Eliis ****ed him up on that play.

The thing is on the replay, Nantz was absolutely drooling over what a great play Lady T made, taking Ellis out. Lady T never even saw Ellis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back