PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets are "discussing" signing free agent Adalius Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hunch it could be another NY team in the running as well....The Giants

Re: Jets are "discussing" signing free agent Adalius Thomas.

Yes, I do say that Thomas' pass rush abililty is fine.

Ok. So BB who's job is to coach the players, watch all of their film, assess them, teach them how to do those jobs, etc, says the Thomas is not a good pass rusher.
You who watches the game on TV says BB is wrong.
So your evaluation skill is so superior to Bill Belichick that from your recliner, without ever meeting the player, without watching the film, speaking with him, seeing him in practice, giving him direction he can or cannot follow fou are a better judge of Thomas ability to rush the passer.

And you aren't arrogant?

You should retire from message boards.

Ok. So BB who's job is to coach the players, watch all of their film, assess them, teach them how to do those jobs, etc, says the Thomas is not a good pass rusher.
So your evaluation skill is so superior to Bill Belichick that from your recliner, without ever meeting the player, without watching the film, speaking with him, seeing him in practice, giving him direction he can or cannot follow fou are a better judge of Thomas ability to rush the passer.

And you aren't arrogant?

IMO Thomas WAS a good pass rusher and in fact one of the best, just like McGinest WAS a good pass rusher but both prior to 2005 that is - All downhill from there.

Father time catches up to you,some quicker than others

Guys like Jason Taylor are rare in this league taking thier talents all the way to the mid 30s although he is falling fast as well.

Last edited:

And you aren't arrogant?

Let's try this again:

Thomas' pass rushing abililty is fine. His overall level of play was fine in years one and two in New England. What happened last year is something none of us know. It could be age, discontent, scheme, the fit of his right shoe, or goodness knows what.

Thomas, as I recall, was leading the team in sacks in 2008 before he broke his arm. In 2007, he had started fast and then gotten injured, struggling afterwards. You may recall, however, that he was able to get to the passer in the Super Bowl.

I suppose you think the opposing QBs just ran to him and told him to tag them down, though.

Now, when you figure out the import of those posts when read as part of a theme, and can respond like an adult and a moderator, get back to me. Until then, don't waste my time with more garbage like this nonsense you just posted.

IMO Thomas WAS a good pass rusher and in fact one of the best, just like McGinest WAS a good pass rusher but both prior to 2005 that is - All downhill from there.

Father time catches up to you,some quicker than others

Guys like Jason Taylor are rare in this league taking thier talents all the way to the mid 30s although he is falling fast as well.

I would agree with that. Except I wouldnt call him one of the best at any point. Good, but not more than that, although AT TIMES he had some of the best pass rush production (because of the players he played with)

Last edited by a moderator:

Let's try this again:

Now, when you figure out the import of those posts when read as part of a theme, and can respond like an adult and a moderator, get back to me. Until then, don't waste my time with more garbage like this nonsense you just posted.

Nice try. I dont care about the 'import' of other comments you want to use to deflect the topic.
The topic is:

You said Thomas pass rush skills are fine.
I pointed out BB disagrees and asked if knowing BB says you are wrong, do you accept BBs judgment or do you think yours is better.
You chose yours.

Thats all I need to know.

I can fill in the answer myself to whether this means you are so arrogant you think you can make that decision better than BB or whether you are simply to insecure to ever admit you are wrong.

I would agree with that. Except I wouldnt call him one of the best at any point. Good, but not more than that, although AT TIMES he had some of the best pass rush production (because of the players he played with)

Which could also be why he might have been a bit overated overall as a defensive player.

When you have guys like Ray Lewis and the way he got his guys to dominate and overperform and when you look at the nucleus of players we had like Bruschi,Vrabel and Harrison to keep you in line,when all those talents leave, you are exposed for what you are...and that looks to be an overated defensive player after all is said and done.

Some people say look at his 2003 year when some say it was great....I would say that was special teams where he excelled at that year.

Although like I said he was a good pass rusher in the early years but looked better than he was as an overall player and who wouldn't look good on that Ravens defense,especially the one of 2000

Thats why several of those Ravens defenders left there and sucked afterwards just like most players on this team do when they leave.

2006 was his best year and probably ends his career that way.

Last edited:

Nice try. I dont care about the 'import' of other comments you want to use to deflect the topic.
The topic is:

You said Thomas pass rush skills are fine.
I pointed out BB disagrees and asked if knowing BB says you are wrong, do you accept BBs judgment or do you think yours is better.
You chose yours.

Thats all I need to know.

I can fill in the answer myself to whether this means you are so arrogant you think you can make that decision better than BB or whether you are simply to insecure to ever admit you are wrong.

Actually, you didn't point anything out. You made a claim without backing it up. That's not the same thing. Furthermore, you deliberately continue to ignore the actual content of my posts and make stupid comments based upon deliberate misapplication of what I've written.

By the way, one can feel that someone else is generally both smarter and more informed than they are, be it in a specific field or in general, and still disagree with that person on particular points. I have no doubt that Belichick is far more competent at being a head coach than I ever will be, and the same is true of his work as a front office man. That didn't make him right (and me wrong) on the Burgess trade, though, did it?

But thanks for tossing out yet another red herring!

as far as Raven LB's go, there's Ray Ray and then the supporting cast...look at blabbermouth Bart Scott...on the Ravens he looked all world...on the Jets he was basically all mouth last season and in fact had his azz bailed out by David Harris all season. Ray Lewis definitely made A.T and Scott a lot of money in F.A.

Let's try this again:

The only "theme" I can find in those posts is one of using a player's past performance to evaluate his current talent. Yes, Thomas was a good pass-rusher in 2007 and 2008. But what you've been stating repeatedly is that he is a good pass-rusher. However, all available evidence seems to suggest that he can no longer fill that duty successfully.

So either you're too childish to admit that you meant to say Thomas "was" a good pass rusher, or you actually believe he can still win one-on-one matchups in this league, despite all available evidence to the contrary. If that's the case, what makes you believe this? In which 2009 games did Adalius Thomas show his ability to beat blocks and get to the passer?

Maybe it's just because I've been taking Adderall and studying for two exams all day (I'll grant the possibility that my brain may be fried), but the first one is your original post toward me. Here is the post I made which prompted that response...

To be honest with you, I don't know what you're arguing with me about. Nowhere in this post did I claim that sacks were the "know all, end all" of the Jets defense. Nowhere ANYWHERE on this forum did I say that sacks were the "know all, end all" of the Jets defense. My original claim was that, with more pass rushing attempts, I expect AD's sack totals to go up from 2009 to 2010. Now, perhaps that you are disagreeing that he won't see more sacks because he's not actually going to be rushing the passer more in the Jets defense? If that's the case, I would welcome you to explain why you believe Ryan's defense isn't centered around various blitz packages. There's no need to "let it go". Just be more clear about what you're actually arguing with me about because, again, I didn't make the assertion that you're claiming I have made anywhere.
I'm not arguing with you I'm actually agreeing with you. That's the point.

The only "theme" I can find in those posts is one of using a player's past performance to evaluate his current talent. Yes, Thomas was a good pass-rusher in 2007 and 2008. But what you've been stating repeatedly is that he is a good pass-rusher. However, all available evidence seems to suggest that he can no longer fill that duty successfully.

So either you're too childish to admit that you meant to say Thomas "was" a good pass rusher, or you actually believe he can still win one-on-one matchups in this league, despite all available evidence to the contrary. If that's the case, what makes you believe this? In which 2009 games did Adalius Thomas show his ability to beat blocks and get to the passer?

Actually, I didn't use the word "good", I used "fine", and I disagree with your assertion that "all available evidence seems to suggest that he can no longer fill that duty successfully." Again, I believe he was leading the team in sacks in 2008 before he was lost to injury. Also, I noted the problem last year and pointed out that we didn't know why it happened, but pointed to age as one possible reason among many. I'm not sure what seems to be so difficult about this for people to understand. In 2007, Julius Peppers had just 2.5 sacks. Does that mean that he was no longer a good/great pass rusher and was done? He's gotten 14.5 and 10.5 in the two years since, for the record.

im not realy a fan of AD but to be fair to the guy he was never just a pass rusher with the pats

2007 he had 535 snaps at ILB and 395 snaps at OLB and was thrown at a total of 35 times so that meens is was in covrage at lest 35 time that season.

2008 472 snaps at OLB and was thrown at 17 times befor geting hurt

2009 only 263 sanps at OLB on a D line that did not have seymour on it anymore

yes he only had 3 sacks last year but if u look at someone like Tamba Hali, for KC he had 8.5 sacks but he played over 1100 snaps at OLB if AD got 1100 snaps he would have 9 sacks

im not saying i want him back but he will be a good pick up for who ever signs him and lets him play just as a pass rusher.

Last edited:
I know people don't want to remember it this way now but in 2007 and 2008 Thomas was effective rushing the passer from OLB. Starting with the Buffalo game (the 10th game in 2007) when he was moved to OLB after Colvin's injury through the Indy game in 2008 (his last full game before getting hurt) he had 13 sacks in 18 games including playoffs. That was good production - not Hall of Fame production but it was good production. I'd sign for that tomorrow from an OLB.

He stunk in 2009. Was it his skills as the Pats thought or the way he was used as Thomas thought? We'll find out in NY this year.

Last edited:
Ive said it before, and i'll say it again. I DO NOT want him signing with the Jets. I wouldve preferred BB trade him for a bag of used socks to the Raiders, than cut him and let the Jets get him. If the Jets sign him, he will most certainly do a good job of rushing the passer in atleast 2 games this season. Guess which two games :rolleyes:

i say ther are like 5 teams that may sign him in the next few days

#1 jets

#2 ravens

#3 bills

#4 the fish

#5 KC

No way the Ray-vens take him back. The Fish despite Nolan have already said they have no interest. They had their own locker room issues last season and drafted several team captains as a result. Pioli and RAC wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. They're in the midst of installing Bill's defense.

Supposedly he is determined to stay on the east coast which is the real reason he signed with us in 2007. His only other big money suitor was SF. He could go to the Redskins where Shanny is trying to turn a 4-3 into a 3-4. Mort tweeted a followup to his being discussed comment yesterday that while he is being discussed by the JETS it's only 50-50 he'll be signed because of the Taylor signing and probably the current backlash to all the rent a players Tanny is accumulating to replace the vets he's cut or traded.

In the end he will go where there is the combination of interest, $$$, opportunity(playing time and role) and location. In some ways it will be telling if he lands in NY because there he will have no excuse if he doesn't deliver...while anywhere else he can do what he does.

Actually, I didn't use the word "good", I used "fine", and I disagree with your assertion that "all available evidence seems to suggest that he can no longer fill that duty successfully." Again, I believe he was leading the team in sacks in 2008 before he was lost to injury. Also, I noted the problem last year and pointed out that we didn't know why it happened, but pointed to age as one possible reason among many. I'm not sure what seems to be so difficult about this for people to understand. In 2007, Julius Peppers had just 2.5 sacks. Does that mean that he was no longer a good/great pass rusher and was done? He's gotten 14.5 and 10.5 in the two years since, for the record.

The bolded section of your post seems to contradict the notion that his pass rushing skills may still be fine. That is the inconsistency that everyone is pointing out to you. You can't reasonably defend the assertion that his pass skills are "fine" until there is some evidence that they actually are fine. Did he have some success in 2007 and 2008 before being injured? Sure. Does that mean that he was the same player in 2009? No. Can he return to form? Sure, but that is not what the evidence points to. The evidence is of course his production and BB assessment of his play.

By the way, one can feel that someone else is generally both smarter and more informed than they are, be it in a specific field or in general, and still disagree with that person on particular points. I have no doubt that Belichick is far more competent at being a head coach than I ever will be, and the same is true of his work as a front office man. That didn't make him right (and me wrong) on the Burgess trade, though, did it?

Burgess' pass rushing skills are fine.

I'm not arguing with you I'm actually agreeing with you. That's the point.

Yeah, the point seemed a little more clear today. :eek:

Wasn't it around this time last year that everyone was ganging up on and trying to tell a few people in a thread about how Favre's skills had eroded? How his performance with the Jets had nothing to do with an arm injury and that he had always sucked? That he would be the same old Brett Favre and would do nothing but hurt the Vikings? Yeah, what happened to that thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes