PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets are "discussing" signing free agent Adalius Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jets are "discussing" signing free agent Adalius Thomas.

According to Thomas' own words, BB said he was not rushing the passer because he was not good at it. So Bill Belichick would disagree that his pass rushing ability is 'fine'. I suppose you think that you are right and he is wrong?

Thomas, as I recall, was leading the team in sacks in 2008 before he broke his arm. In 2007, he had started fast and then gotten injured, struggling afterwards. You may recall, however, that he was able to get to the passer in the Super Bowl.

I suppose you think the opposing QBs just ran to him and told him to tag them down, though.

Last edited:

However, with the Jets (should he go there), he would have a decidedly higher number of pass rushing attempts which should see his amount of sacks to go up. To put it simply, it wouldn't suprise me to see Thomas' sack total double from 2009 to 2010.

This at the very least will happen because he is going back to an one gap system.

Thomas becoming a Jet was the expected outcome for many of us, so this comes as no surprise.

Hey, a post of yours I can completely agree with!

It will be a no risk signing for the Jets. He'll be cheap, motivated, and playing in a system he thrived in previously. If he performs well it is great for them. If he doesn't it isn't like they are going to pay him franchise $ and build their defense around him.

Heck, they'll probably pay him good money for one uncapped year.

They're going full Yankees, at least for one season.

I am not all that worried about Thomas going to the Jets. Just another head case going in with potentially a good lockerroom guy leaving (Bryan Thomas). As for Rex Ryan knowing how to use Thomas, if Thomas' skills have eroded it won't really matter. We know that at least Ray Lewis felt Thomas was more of a product of the guys around him (and the Ravens' front seven was far better than the Jets' is) than his skills.

Thomas wasn't nearly as quick last year as he was the first year he was there. Even when he rushed the passer, he was slow to get to him. If that is because of age and his injuries over the last two years and not because he was disinterested, Ryan won't be able to turn Thomas back into what he was.

Thomas just adds the head cases that were added this offseason to four (Thomas, Cromartie, Holmes, and Wilson). You could add Tomlinson to that list although he is a bit more of a diva than a head case. Seriously, the new stadium better have really, really big lockerrooms because I don't know if they are going to fit all those big heads in one room together.

Thomas, as I recall, was leading the team in sacks in 2008 before he broke his arm. In 2007, he had started fast and then gotten injured, struggling afterwards. You may recall, however, that he was able to get to the passer in the Super Bowl.

I suppose you think the opposing QBs just ran to him and told him to tag them down, though.

I was always wondering what ever happened to the guy at the end of that superbowl. Damn shame about that injury in 2008. Otherwise, who knows what could have been.

You didn't bother to properly read my post did you? I singled out that the sack total isn't the be all and end all of the Jets defensive scheme knowing it wasn't.

Sacks aren't the know all, end all of a defensive scheme. They are, however, a petty good barometer of how many times a player rushed the passer and was successful at doing it, which was my original argument. I would be shocked if Thomas wasn't more productive in Ryan's one gap 3-4.

Not fussed. Personality clash or not being benched and playing like a pansy only reflects poorly on Adalius Thomas and Adalius Thomas only. I'd love for the Jets to sign him. LdT, Holmes, Edwards, Thomas and the rest of the gang in the same locker room. They better hope they go better than 9-7 in the regular season.

I don't buy into people saying it will be easier to get sacks. The Jets showed a small ability to get sacks last season and it will be the same this year. What they have been able to do under Rex Ryan is create match ups and pressure schemes that hurried QB's. Brady picked it apart and so did Manning. People are underestimating that the NFL has had a season to see how Ryan's Jets work. It will be far easier the scheme against them this season now the Cinderella period is over.

Thanks for your contribution Adalius. I wished it were more but you simply weren't man enough to take that responsibility on your shoulders and run with it as one of the remaining veterans.

If Hernandez/Gronk can abuse their nickle/lb corps like Welker did, I see no reason that we couldn't beat them.

Sacks aren't the know all, end all of a defensive scheme. They are, however, a petty good barometer of how many times a player rushed the passer and was successful at doing it, which was my original argument. I would be shocked if Thomas wasn't more productive in Ryan's one gap 3-4.
I'm just going to let it go Kontra....

Ok I'll admit it for just about everyone, we don't want Thomas to go to the Jets. NFC would be great just so I don't have to worry about it.

If Hernandez/Gronk can abuse their nickle/lb corps like Welker did, I see no reason that we couldn't beat them.

let's not compare a couple rookie tight ends who've never played a game in the nfl to welker.

KontradictioN the Jets had 32 sacks for the season in 2009. More pressure or not it's hardly the strength of the Jets defense. You can argue it will improve or it won't improve this season but by design I doubt it's what Ryan based his pressure schemes solely around.

I'm just going to let it go Kontra....

Maybe it's just because I've been taking Adderall and studying for two exams all day (I'll grant the possibility that my brain may be fried), but the first one is your original post toward me. Here is the post I made which prompted that response...

You seem to have missed my point. Here, Thomas had a lot of coverage responsibilities which meant that, in many cases, he would not be able to rush the passer. There (New York) will be the same situation as he was in with the Ravens in which he has very little (if any) coverage responsibilities and will be allowed to rush the passer the VAST majority of the time. You can choose to have the opinion that he "sucks at rushing the passer". I hope you're right. However, with the Jets (should he go there), he would have a decidedly higher number of pass rushing attempts which should see his amount of sacks to go up. To put it simply, it wouldn't suprise me to see Thomas' sack total double from 2009 to 2010.

To be honest with you, I don't know what you're arguing with me about. Nowhere in this post did I claim that sacks were the "know all, end all" of the Jets defense. Nowhere ANYWHERE on this forum did I say that sacks were the "know all, end all" of the Jets defense. My original claim was that, with more pass rushing attempts, I expect AD's sack totals to go up from 2009 to 2010. Now, perhaps that you are disagreeing that he won't see more sacks because he's not actually going to be rushing the passer more in the Jets defense? If that's the case, I would welcome you to explain why you believe Ryan's defense isn't centered around various blitz packages. There's no need to "let it go". Just be more clear about what you're actually arguing with me about because, again, I didn't make the assertion that you're claiming I have made anywhere.

let's not compare a couple rookie tight ends who've never played a game in the nfl to welker.

Never said they will, I clearly said if.

It's a hypothetical, that's all. Without that option as a receiver, we will struggle with the Jets. As we already know Revis will shutdown Moss, and the Holt v Chromartie battle will really be a test of which former pro bowler has the most in their tank, and despite Chromarties terrible play recently, I'll give him the nod.

Last edited:

Never said they will, I clearly said if.

It's a hypothetical, that's all. Without that option as a receiver, we will struggle with the Jets. As we already know Revis will shutdown Moss, and the Holt v Chromartie battle will really be a test of which former pro bowler has the most in their tank, and despite Chromarties terrible play recently, I'll give him the nod.

edelman caught 8 balls in the first meeting for 98 yards and we scored 9 points.

if we want to score 27 points do gronk and hernandez need to catch 24 balls for 300 yards?

i say ther are like 5 teams that may sign him in the next few days

#1 jets

#2 ravens

#3 bills

#4 the fish

#5 KC

edelman caught 8 balls in the first meeting for 98 yards and we scored 9 points.

if we want to score 27 points do gronk and hernandez need to catch 24 balls for 300 yards?

That's a bit of hyperbole. But I see what you're getting at and I agree; that Welker is a completely irreplaceable fixture in our offense. However, if Hernandez/Cronk/Edelman/Holt all perform at a decent level, that will be a better roster than Galloway/Aiken/Moss/Watson. I think we can all agree on that. We don't need 4 elite receiving weapons to beat the Jets, we just need a few of them that are better than last year, that can get open quicker than the blitz hits Brady.

Last edited:

In 2007 he had 6.5 sacks playing all season. Nothing special.
In the SB he did a great job pass rushing
In 2008 he had 5 sacks in 9 games. Not awful.
In 2009, he had 3 sacks. When I watched him rush the QB he didnt even get close, was really stoned at the initial point of block consistently, and Bill Belichick took the pass rushing job away from him because he was doing a terrible job. That comes directly from him.
You said "Thomas' pass rush ability is fine"

Are you saying that you are a better judge of that than Bill Belichick who had the player on his roster and decided not to use him to rush the passer, and explained to him that it was because he wasn't doing it well?

It has nothing to do with why I think he got his meager number of sacks.

It has to do with BB is on record saying he is not a good pass rusher now.
Are you saying you disagree, and that your opinion is more valid? Because that is what you said when you said "Thomas' pass rush ability is fine" Do you retract?

playing what position?

In the SB he did a great job pass rushing
In 2008 he had 5 sacks in 9 games. Not awful.
In 2009, he had 3 sacks. When I watched him rush the QB he didnt even get close, was really stoned at the initial point of block consistently, and Bill Belichick took the pass rushing job away from him because he was doing a terrible job. That comes directly from him.
You said "Thomas' pass rush ability is fine"

Yes, I do say that Thomas' pass rush abililty is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes