PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jet LOS Domination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswlek

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
This question was asked in the points for/against thread. I think my findings are helpful enough to warrant a new thread, but mods can delete/merge if they so choose.

SVN said:
technical question for all you guys...how do the patriots stop the jets short passing game. ..was watching some clips of the last game and the jets converted at will- 3rd and 5 ,3rd and 6. what is the best way to defend it.?

(although iam quite sure they will throw the ball deep in the first or second play of game just as a changeup ..just my thought)

This is actually a more complicated answer than you might have been asking. First and foremost, the reason that the Jets converted so many 3rd downs was because they were rarely in a long situation. Second, NE - probably because it was their first game without Rodney - played far too conservatively with their corners. Most of the time that the Jets did convert a 3rd and 6 or whatnot, they did so by just tossing a ball 3 yards and letting the receiver juke the oncoming CB. Lastly, the Jets dominated the LOS in the last game. This is the reason that they won. More than the Pats turnovers and their problems putting the ball in the EZ, their terrible run defense and poor pash rush helped the Jets slowly march down the field.

Here's a stat that helps you understand just how much the Jets won in the trenches. Out of 29 rushing attempts, only 2 went for 1 or less yards. On top of that, only 5 went for 2 yards. Of those 7 "successes" one was a QB scramble and one was a two yard TD. 3 of the five remaining "success" were on the Jets final drive when they were running out the clock. The other three carries on that final drive, BTW went for an average of 6.3 yards. So that means that the Jets got at least 3 yards (or a TD) on 23 of 28 RB carries. Even worse, of the Jets 22 "pre-final drive" RB carries, only 2 did not go for at least 3 yards or a TD. I can't explain how unbelievably horrible that is. By comparison, NE held the Jets to an average of 2.1 ypc in the entire first game!

Also, NE's terrible pass rush forced them to use blitzes to try and pressure Pennington. This only compounded the tentative usage of the CBs.

Amazingly enough, as much as NE was pushed around, they were a Hobbs swat away from only giving up 13 points. If they win in the trenches, it will be near impossible for the Jets to win this game. Think a Chicago-Arizona level type miracle.

Another great thread, Oswlek. Commendable.

Last edited:
Look at how many tackles Bruschi and Seau had in that game. I think it was 13 and 11. So what does that mean? The linemen were either getting dominated or tieing up their guy and maybe another guy. This supports your argument of them gaining good yardage on each and every running play. Warren has a ton of tackles for a 3-4 end for the season.

We can all say the d-line had a below average game whether it be due to injuries, out of position, or the field.

No excuses next Sunday. I think they'll deliver and will they utilize a 4-3 more? I think they'll stick with a 3-4 primarily.

Or you may see a 4-3 on first down to limit the yardage picked up on first down which will eventually put them into 3rd and long.

Look at how many tackles Bruschi and Seau had in that game. I think it was 13 and 11. So what does that mean? The linemen were either getting dominated or tieing up their guy and maybe another guy. This supports your argument of them gaining good yardage on each and every running play. Warren has a ton of tackles for a 3-4 end for the season.

We can all say the d-line had a below average game whether it be due to injuries, out of position, or the field.

No excuses next Sunday. I think they'll deliver and will they utilize a 4-3 more? I think they'll stick with a 3-4 primarily.

Or you may see a 4-3 on first down to limit the yardage picked up on first down which will eventually put them into 3rd and long.

They used a 4-3 the first time, but that was because the Jets had no running game to speak of. I can't remember who, but someone (on this board perhaps?) mentioned how effective Pennington is at passing out of a rollout. A 4-3 would be an effective way to combat that, especially because he is not that much of a threat to dash up the middle if a guy goes a little too wide.

However, the 4-3 would take one of the LBs off the field and that would free up more space for Washington, Baker and NY's short crossing routes.

The Jets passing game reminds me a little of Minnesota's except nearly every skill position is better. And the 3-4 was very effective against them.

I guess I really don't know which would be better. I would imagine that this is a game in which NE is going to change things up a few times.

its discussions like these that makes us go on this board...

thanks a lot for the painstaking information you have put forward.

Good info. Thanks for the read.

Mickens coming in in the nickel and dime position will help as well. Detroits slot rec, Furrey, tagged us for 11 catches, but Mickens covered Welker in the Mia. very well.

This just points out that our DL can be taken for granted. This is the kind of sh!t that happens when you don't have three studs up front - in that game we had 1 1/2 (Seymour hurt and out of position, Warren out). No team can claim these kinds of stats against our starters and that won't change Sunday.

The result will be a lot more 3rd and 7s or longer instead of constant 3rd and 2s and 3s. We all know the difference that'll make.

Hopefully having Warren back, and Seymour healthy and for a full game will make a difference!

Last edited:
Hopefully having Warren back, and Seymour healthy and for a full game will make a difference!

Without question. Especially with the possibility that we can use the tandem of Green and Wilfork will also be a big help.

According the NFL.com, the J-E-T-S were 6 of 13 on 3rd down and 1 of 1 on 4th down. That was a Pennington sneak. NFL Network replayed the 1st J-E-T-S/Patriots game last night. What an aggravating game to see the Patriots dominate the 1st half then how the 2nd half went. 2 big plays by the J-E-T-S made thier comeback happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots