PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jersey Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Amendola -- 80 (Troy Brown No. 2, hopefully)
Blount -- 29
Hawkins -- 83 (sorry welker's not coming back, lol)
Jenkins -- 10
Jones -- 19
Washington -- 33
Kelly -- 93
Svitek -- 72
Wilson -- 24
Arrington -- 25 (guess they made that deal)
Kafka -- 8

i will always think of 80 as TB and 33 as Faulk. Always

I hope so too. If amendola, gronk, ahern don't get plagued by freak injuries again this year, man this O looks good. If Dobson can get this system down and connect with tom, this O should work well in the playoffs.

Amendola will wear #80

Interesting that he's going to get Troy Brown's old number. Nick Underhill made a humorous comment about the fact the Patriots might be putting the jinx on Aaron Dobson No. 17. He points out that Chad Jackson wore it, as did Taylor Price and Greg Salas. Hopefully Dobson breaks that cycle :rolleyes:

Re: Amendola will wear #80

Interesting that he's going to get Troy Brown's old number. Nick Underhill made a humorous comment about the fact the Patriots might be putting the jinx on Aaron Dobson No. 17. He points out that Chad Jackson wore it, as did Taylor Price and Greg Salas. Hopefully Dobson breaks that cycle :rolleyes:

.....and lest we forget Dedric Ward also wore #17 for a season.

Re: Amendola will wear #80

.....and lest we forget Dedric Ward also wore #17 for a season.

Ah yes, forgot about him. I thought Tony Gaiter was a guy who did as well but he actually wore #14 - so he's not in that distinguished group of names ;)

Last edited:
A full list of the number 17's throughout franchise history:

QB Mike Taliaferro (1968-70; '69 Pro Bowl)
WR Elmo Wright (1975)
QB Tom Owen (1976-81)
P Luke Prestridge (1984)
QB Jeff Carlson (1992; 0-2 as starter, completing 37% of his passes with one TD and 3 picks)
WR Tony Gaiter (1997; switched to number 14)
WR Henry Ellard (1998; the long time NFL great ended the final season of his career with just 7 receptions)
QB John Friesz (1999-2000)
WR Dedric Ward (2003)
WR Chad Jackson (2006-07; whether it was due to his torn ACL or something else, he never lived up to the hype as a 2nd round draft pick and will forever be known as the WR the Pats drafted over Greg Jennings)
WR Greg Lewis (2009 training camp)
WR Taylor Price (2009-10; 3rd round pick had just three receptions in a year and a half with Pats; now with Jaguars)
WR Britt Davis (2011 practice squad)
WR Jeremy Ebert (2012 practice squad)
WR Greg Salas (2012)

Working on the rest of the numbers, will hopefully have that completed later today.

Last edited:
A full list of the number 17's throughout franchise history:

QB Mike Taliaferro (1968-70; '69 Pro Bowl)
WR Elmo Wright (1975)
QB Tom Owen (1976-81)
P Luke Prestridge (1984)
QB Jeff Carlson (1992; 0-2 as starter, completing 37% of his passes with one TD and 3 picks)
WR Tony Gaiter (1997; switched to number 14)
WR Henry Ellard (1998; the long time NFL great ended the final season of his career with just 7 receptions)
QB John Friesz (1999-2000)
WR Dedric Ward (2003)
WR Chad Jackson (2006-07; whether it was due to his torn ACL or something else, he never lived up to the hype as a 2nd round draft pick and will forever be known as the WR the Pats drafted over Greg Jennings)
WR Greg Lewis (2009 training camp)
WR Taylor Price (2009-10; 3rd round pick had just three receptions in a year and a half with Pats; now with Jaguars)
WR Britt Davis (2011 practice squad)
WR Jeremy Ebert (2012 practice squad)
WR Greg Salas (2012)

Working on the rest of the numbers, will hopefully have that completed later today.

So I was right - I guess Gaiter was on that list. The team had him listed with 14 in the archive but I thought he wore 17 at one point:

The New England Patriots - Tony Gaiter

Last edited:
So I was right - I guess Gaiter was on that list. The team had him listed with 14 in the archive but I thought he wore 17 at one point:

The New England Patriots - Tony Gaiter

From what I can gather he was originally assigned number 17, then switched to number 14 during that off season - though I'm not 100% sure, and it could be the other way around.

Last edited:
Kamar Aiken wouldn't give his number to Amendola? *shrugs* I actually came across a site selling fake #19 Amendola jerseys. Whoever bought one before the official jersey was released is probably pissed.

Speaking of selling jerseys, Amendola adult Patriots jerseys seem to have vanished from NFLshop. Only the youth version is there now. Wonder what happened... Pats proshop has adult sizes on preorder, though.

In any case, with Amendola being #80, that means the spirit of Troy Brown is gonna be with him. THAT CLUTCH!!!!!

I hope so too. If amendola, gronk, ahern don't get plagued by freak injuries again this year, man this O looks good. If Dobson can get this system down and connect with tom, this O should work well in the playoffs.

Big Ifs..this team is never healthy...well the play makers ect (gronk, AH)

I don't really expects Hawkins to make the final 53, so I foresee Dobson taking over that number at the end of camp. Remember, these number's aren't final. Dobson reportedly wanted 83 but was told it was taken.

I don't really expects Hawkins to make the final 53, so I foresee Dobson taking over that number at the end of camp. Remember, these number's aren't final. Dobson reportedly wanted 83 but was told it was taken.

Dobson would look nice in an 83. He would look like a Vincent Jackson in that Patriot blue with all that size.

Dobson would look nice in an 83. He would look like a Vincent Jackson in that Patriot blue with all that size.

his college number was #3 and his twitter handle is @AyE_DeE_3, sound that out and its 83.

Could also mean Aaron Dobson 3

No doubt that it is exactly what it means, but he cannot wear number 3 so 83 would be the natural progression.

Blount -- 29
Hawkins -- 83 (sorry welker's not coming back, lol)
Jenkins -- 10
Jones -- 19
Washington -- 33
Kelly -- 93
Svitek -- 72
Wilson -- 24
Arrington -- 25 (guess they made that deal)
Kafka -- 8

Middle of field receivers 80 series. Outside receivers 10 series. Pass rushers 90's series.

Designed or am I reading to much into numbers?

kind of but not quite used to be recievers only got 80 numbers but some teams need more number so the nfl added the teens to reciver numbers

That confuses me. Dobson was told 83 was taken before Hawkins was signed...maybe he didn't actually want it. Too bad, because 17 is bad luck...

That confuses me. Dobson was told 83 was taken before Hawkins was signed...maybe he didn't actually want it. Too bad, because 17 is bad luck...

Kind of confuses me too, somebody tweeted him asking why not 83 and he said it wasn't available, did we cut any wr or te recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes