PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Rice reaps what he sowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or has Jerry Rice always been an azzhole. Thats what I seem to remember from his last couple years in SF.

Rice was always an a-hole, but he got the job done every single time.

Moss was a major punk as well as a slacker, who never really got the job done to the best of his ability until this year. His stats are great, but a shadow of what they could have been, even with Dullpepper throwing him the ball.

Now we see what Moss could have been about if he spent more time dedicated to football and less time hitting traffic cops with his cousin's Cadillac.

We will never have to ask what Rice COULD HAVE achieved, because we have seen all he had to give on the football field. He has left us no doubt about his production.

Moss will always have an asterix next to his early years, *took plays off, could have done even more...

And I don't believe Moss will catch Rice because he doesn't have the work ethic and his body will break down sooner.

Rice's record is the exception, not Moss's. The NFL has played 16 game seasons since 1978. So, in the record book, it should be:

Most touchdowns receiving 23 Moss 2007

Most touchdowns receiving 22 Rice 1987*+

* 12 game season
+ Replacement players and scabs

Glad to see so many other folks here concluding that Rice was an all pro receiver but also an all pro whiner. I loved those 49er teams, second to the Patriots, but grew to dislike Rice more and more as the years went on because of his complaining so much, and, get this, sometimes he *****ed about Joe Montana getting too much of the credit.

The phone call goes from the old record holder to the new record holder.

You have it all EXACTLY right!

Talent wise, yes.

Work ethic and overall production, Moss is so far behind Rice that your post IMO is way off.

Results are what counts, not potential.

If Moss has so much more potential, as you claim, and I also agree, then it just make his comparative lack of similar career results all the more of a gap between him and Jerry Rice. Not saying that Moss's body of work isn't impressive. Just that he will never catch Rice. He would have to play until he is about 45.

Jerry Rice and Walter Payton were the two hardest working football players in the offseason. They spent their time running up mountain sides and training endlessly.

If Moss had Rice's work ethic, he just might have his production as well. He wouldn't ever have taken a single play off. I watched him all those years with the Vikings. I watched him pull antics, take plays off, drop balls due to lack of concentration, spend his time making goofy faces at the opposing team's sidelines. All that stuff. I saw it with my own two eyes.

I wanted him to come to the Pats because I knew that he still had the talent, and was capable of maturing. But to compare him to Rice as a football player who is getting the job done on the field to the best of his ability, Moss has only one season which we can really look at as the best of Moss. Rice has an entire career as the best of Rice.

I don't buy into the argument that Moss is better because he has more natural talent. He will be better when his production says so. Right now it is not even close.

Rice's numbers are off the chart. Staggering. Moss will never catch him.

In terms of production, this year he's had has been better than any year Rice ever had. And there are things that career stats don't reveal. It's no surprise whatsoever that Moss has been the only common denominator between the two highest scoring offenses in NFL history.

I agree with you on the issue of work ethic, but I think you have to look at where Moss came into the league versus where Rice came into the league.

Rice came into the league under Bill Walsh and the 49ers, being thrown to by Joe Montana.

Moss came into the league branded as a problem child. He came into college branded as a problem child. Rather than look at his talent and try to mentor him, most teams looked past him. And I don't believe the Vikings under Dennis Green was the kind of environment he needed to mature in.

Oakland was even worse. If you watch "The Moss Method" you'll see he did put in the hard work and attended the roughest training camps in the off-season. But Oakland didn't know what to do with him and had no way of really tapping his potential. It's like the kids who are too smart for the classes they're in, so they get into trouble out of boredom.

Now, 10 years in, he's been given a shot to work with today's Bill Walsh and Joe Montana. And you can see that now that he's been given that chance, he's exceeded all expectations, been a true team player, found a coach who respects him and can mentor him, and a QB who is good enough to utilize him to his full potential.

It's wrong to characterize Moss as being less than Rice because of career stats or his work ethic when he wasn't in the right environments to excel at either.

If anything, it's the same story as Brady or Belichick. Brady never had the career stats and no one thought Belichick could be a great head coach. He was run out of Cleveland and then bailed on the Jets. Maybe that's the real story of the 2001-2007 Patriots. A team of misfits who were never given the chance to show their greatness coming together to surpass all metrics of greatness.

In short, don't be too fast to judge Moss for his past lest you be willing to hold Belichick's or Brady's against them as well. In time, he will put all doubt to rest about who the greatest WR ever is.

I must agree. Jerry Rice is a prick. I recall when he was with Oakland and his streak of consecutive games catching a pass came to an end while they were playing Buffalo. The Raiders WON, but Rice was throwing a fit on the sideline about his streak ending. That shows you what Rice is all about.

Yup, thats the Jerry Rice I remember.

Nothing against Jerry Rice but...

Moss has 2 seasons with 17 TDs and one with 23
Rice has 1 season with 22 TDs and (the next best season) with 17 TDs. He had around 3 seasons with 15 TDs.

Rice has averaged 9.85 TDs per season.
Moss has averaged 12.2 TDs per season (surprised?).

Didn't Rice also throw a fit when TO caught the insane TD catch (against GB, IIRC) in the playoffs?

Since when....

is it Moss' responsibility to call Rice.

Rice definitely is the greatest receiver who ever played the game, but just like the 72 dolphins has he lost his mind???

Be a little gracious and call Moss to congratulate HIM.

Rice set his record for 12 game season. Moss set his record for a 16 game season. Two different records IMO. Moss didn't break Rice's record, he set a differnet record.

That's sorta how I look at it: Rice's record is a different record, set against "iffy" competition.

If you lower the bar for competition you might score 22 in one game, but who really can compare that against what a guy like Moss did?

no one would actually ever admit it in the media or football world but Rice while a great reciever has always been a big jerk with the same selfishness of a TO. back then we didnt have internet and ESPn didnt have 8 channels so it wasnt as prevelant. But go back and listen to the way he talks in game and out of game the man is and always has been a jerk

jerry rice should go back to hanging out in whorehouses and "massage" parlors.

Why the hell does Randy Moss owe Jerry Rice anything? Your record got broke. Too bad pal.:rolleyes:

The saddest thing is that King warned that Moss' comments would alienate future Hall of Fame voters. Claimed he knew voters personally who would not ever vote for Moss because Moss wasn't a nice guy and that Moss' "slap" to Jerrry Rice was further proof.

how did Moss "slap" Rice? I never heard him make any comments regarding Rice at all.

how did Moss "slap" Rice? I never heard him make any comments regarding Rice at all.

Glad to see i'm not the only one...i've been scratchin my head trying to figure out what bad thing he said about Rice. He took a shot at the media..he said his motivation wasn't breaking the record..it was shutting the media up. What does that have ot with Rice?? Should Moss lie and say the record was really imporant to him when it may not have been.

Now if the media directly asked him if he felt honored to surpass Jerry Rice..and he dismissed that question, then MAYBE. But as it stands, the first I heard of Rice being dissed was reading stuff online and ESPN gossip.

Rice was a great player, one of the best of all time, but he's really exposing himself as being a total jerkoff. In one breath he totally disparages Moss for needing 16 games to break his record, then he voices his disappointment in him for not kissing his *** once he does??? What did he expect Moss to do? The guy is delusional.

I don't know how long you've been watching football, but Rice exposed himself as a jerk-off long, long before this.

Talent wise, yes.

Work ethic and overall production, Moss is so far behind Rice that your post IMO is way off.

Results are what counts, not potential.

If Moss has so much more potential, as you claim, and I also agree, then it just make his comparative lack of similar career results all the more of a gap between him and Jerry Rice. Not saying that Moss's body of work isn't impressive. Just that he will never catch Rice. He would have to play until he is about 45.

Jerry Rice and Walter Payton were the two hardest working football players in the offseason. They spent their time running up mountain sides and training endlessly.

If Moss had Rice's work ethic, he just might have his production as well. He wouldn't ever have taken a single play off. I watched him all those years with the Vikings. I watched him pull antics, take plays off, drop balls due to lack of concentration, spend his time making goofy faces at the opposing team's sidelines. All that stuff. I saw it with my own two eyes.

I wanted him to come to the Pats because I knew that he still had the talent, and was capable of maturing. But to compare him to Rice as a football player who is getting the job done on the field to the best of his ability, Moss has only one season which we can really look at as the best of Moss. Rice has an entire career as the best of Rice.

I don't buy into the argument that Moss is better because he has more natural talent. He will be better when his production says so. Right now it is not even close.

Rice's numbers are off the chart. Staggering. Moss will never catch him.

I agree about Moss not having near the work ethic of Rice and OCASSIONALLY putting in less than 100%, but there's no basis to say he hasn't produced on the level of Rice. This is a fact: 10 years deep into his career, Randy Moss has basically been just as good as Jerry Rice was 10 years deep. What Rice has on Moss is the longevity, and thats where the work ethic really benefited him, but thats it imo. Rice's CAREER numbers are off the charts, but year in year out, Moss has been as good as any other WR to play the game. And if you take away that disaster of a season last year, it becomes more apparent.

Jerry to Randy: "If you don't want an *asteriska*, you gotta do the asstakissa."

Randy to Jerry: "Savin' my best moon for you."

Is it just me or has Jerry Rice always been an azzhole. Thats what I seem to remember from his last couple years in SF.
I posted about 5 times about Rice's whining this year, but nobody else did, so I thought maybe I was posting in Italian. Looks like a lot of people are agreeing with you (and me) now.

Didn't Rice also throw a fit when TO caught the insane TD catch (against GB, IIRC) in the playoffs?
I forget if he did for that game ("the Catch II", they call it in 49er country), but Rice wasn't too happy when TO caught 20 balls on Jerry Rice day. :rofl:

Last edited:
Didn't Rice CHOOSE to go on strike? He acts like it wasn't part his, as a member of the union, responsibility. Not only that, but Joe Montana and many other 49ers came back early. Montana played in 13 games that year, Roger Craig 14 I believe. They came back early.

You can't choose to sit out and then act like its bad luck. Maybe the record would be 30 if they hadn't struck. I don't know. But you reap what you sow and need to take ownership in the good and the bad. You want to sacrifice by striking for a greater good? Fine. Good for you. But don't whine about it 20 years later you "only had 12 games." You MADE THE DECISION to only play 12 games that year. Too bad. You don't get the record because of that decision. Live with it.

J D Sal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back