Welcome to PatsFans.com

Jerry Rice on Wes Welker

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by MoLewisrocks, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Nice comments about their similarities. The field vision comment, how beyond athleticism or speed you have to know how to create space in the right place to allow your QB to target you. Rice says that was what made him the complete receiver...

Being productive when hurt is a huge component when talking contracts and extensions. They're all hurt, and they're mostly all tough and will at least attempt to play through injuries. But it's the guys who can play WELL in the process that have added value.

Wes Welker, Jerry Rice two of the same | Boston Herald
  2. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +67 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

To all the 9ers fans visiting this week WES IS BETTER! :D:D
  3. dales804

dales804 Rookie

Ratings:
    +134 / 2 / -1

Disable Jersey

High compliments from the best to do it. What has Welker missed since he became a Patriot, three games? I do want to see him back here next season (and beyond) and hope they can come to a deal, unlike this past offseason.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  4. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 8 / -1

Michael Irvin is a big Welker booster too. He's refreshingly blunt about it. Paraphrasing him. Everybody says he can't be that good. Need some big brother out there in order to be that good. But, Welker is good. Very good.
  5. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

The age/durability point is a good one.

I do think Welker will be hampered more as he ages by injuries he needs to play through. But if that's what's happening this season -- well, he's still a darned good receiver.

Returning to http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/981881-welkers-real-flaw.html, where we discussed that Welker has limited catching radius but is otherwise all-time elite -- he's going to have to learn how to keep catching reliably despite playing through the injuries that will be healing more slowly as he ages. But he sure still seems to have the ability to elude defenders both before and after the catch.
  6. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +747 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

His so-called "limited catching radius" hasn't stopped him from being an all-time elite. He's the best slot receiver in the game. Again, you're claiming a flaw where there isn't one.
  7. kennyb

kennyb Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 2 / -3

I hope he signs at a reasonable price for the next year or two. But there are signs he's aging a bit. How many drops in the last game? Plus a dropped TD in the Miami game.

I hope he doesn't want to break the bank. Most receivers are about done at 32 which is what he'll be next May I think. 12M / 2 years he should be willing to take that.
  8. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

So the best of something is necessarily without flaw?

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm putting stupid words into your mouth, but I can't think of a non-stupid way to interpret what you're saying.
  9. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

I thought it was Randy Moss that made Welker good/productive :D
    Agreed, Welker has all the traits you want in a slot receiver. and, he's the perfect fit for Brady who has some of the best accuracy of any QB in the game. While, Welker might not work our for less accurate QBs, there are plenty he could be good with. But, I'd say there is no better QB for him than Brady. They see the field about as similar as 2 people can
  10. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +747 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

I feel the same way about your post and that thread. You don't seem to understand what a flaw is. As I noted in the thread you needlessly chose to resurrect via linking, using your logic, you'd claim that Bill Russell was flawed because he was too tall to play point guard.
  11. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +99 / 2 / -1

#12 Jersey

Tom Brady is flawed because he isn't strong enough to play nose tackle. Vince Wilfork is flawed because he isn't quick enough to play wide receiver. Gronk is flawed because he isn't elusive enough to play running back.
  12. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

So does Wes need Brady more than Brady needs Wes?
  13. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

Catching radius isn't a flaw for him if he's being evaluated as a slot receiver. In this post, he's being evaluated as a receiver in general, against all of them, and in that context, it is a flaw. It is a weakness.
  14. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +747 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Again, I don't think you understand what a flaw is.
  15. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

No. I would, however, say that Bill Russell was flawed because of his questionable shooting ability (FT and FG alike) ... and that didn't stop me from advocating him as #1 on a list of all-time NBA greats, specifically RealGM • View topic - RealGM Top 100 List (my view didn't quite carry the day).
  16. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

I would say the same of you.

A flaw is an imperfection. Either you think Welker is perfect, or you think he has imperfections.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  17. Halifax_Pats_Fan

Halifax_Pats_Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I know if the GOAT was saying that about me, I would be pumped to go out there and prove it.
  18. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +256 / 4 / -8

you could see where the effects of that might be minimized by the guy throwing the ball
  19. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +544 / 6 / -0

Come on now, dissing Jerry Rice? Even just to poke a stick at Niners fans? That's football blasphemy. :)

I had the good fortune to be living in the SF area during the Young-to-Rice years. It was a pleasure to watch those teams play.
  20. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +67 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Dude WTF? Vince can do anything. He would make for one nasty WR and is quick enough to create seperation its just that he is an absolute beast at NT and we dont want to tire him out playing iron man football.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.