PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Rice on Moss and Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Montana won 2 Sbs and 2 Sb MVPs before Rice set foot on an NFL field. He also won 1 Sb without Roger Craig. and 1 with Craig as a backup rookie.
That is true. One other thing about Steve Young was that he had a huge monkey on his back following Joe at QB. No matter what he did in his early years starting, it was, well, Joe would have done it better. Good luck to the guy that takes over someday for Tom Brady, hate even typing that.

I think that if Randy breaks the TD record there should be 2 records. Rice during the 12 game season and Randy during the 16 games season. One does not have to take away from the other. They are both records.

It was NOT a 12 game season! He CHOSE to sit out along with other NFL players as part of a strike. He could have CHOSE to play instead.

Players that actually played in a shorter season have a far more compelling complaint that Jerry Rice. His bringing it up to try to prop us his own record on the eve of it being broken is pathetic.

Last edited:
Actually, it's a terrible point. It's completely unfair to blame Rice completely for a players strike his Union called and he went with. Its whiff of Republican dogma isn't exactly compelling, either.

I agree that Rice shouldn't ***** about the number of games thing - not so much because it's invalid, but because it's beneath him. It's petty, like he cares SO MUCH about "his" record. He makes himself look like a tool when he doesn't need to - he's Jerry F-ing Rice, for God's sake.

The union may have called the strike, but it was not forced to sit out. He could have crossed over and played.

He CHOSE not to play. I don't have a problem with him doing that, just don't complain later about having only 12 games to set a record and how someone breaking it in 16 isn't a fair comparison. He could have had the entire season if he wanted.

I think it is a fine point. There are plenty of players that were too hurt to play in some games or played in season that were ACTUALLY shorter ... where they didn't have the ability to play in as many games. Rice could have. That's the difference. If those others players' records are broken without any mention of their shorter season, then Jerry's record should be no different.

Rice needs to shut up. He is making himself look like a total a.s.s ... which is too bad since he is the best WR in the history of football up to this point.

The union may have called the strike, but it was not forced to sit out. He could have crossed over and played.

He CHOSE not to play. I don't have a problem with him doing that, just don't complain later about having only 12 games to set a record and how someone breaking it in 16 isn't a fair comparison. He could have had the entire season if he wanted.

I think it is a fine point. There are plenty of players that were too hurt to play in some games or played in season that were ACTUALLY shorter ... where they didn't have the ability to play in as many games. Rice could have. That's the difference. If those others players' records are broken without any mention of their shorter season, then Jerry's record should be no different.

Rice needs to shut up. He is making himself look like a total a.s.s ... which is too bad since he is the best WR in the history of football up to this point.

While I agree Rice doesnt need to be hyping this (because most football fans know), I think its crazy to say he should be faulted for only playing 12 games. It really does make a difference.

Look at the options he has
a) Stop playing and support the players union, keep the respect of your fellow players, but at the same time, give up the rest of what would be the best year of your career
or
b) Break picket lines, be deemed a scab and lose the respect of your union, and keep scoring touchdowns against a bunch of replacements?

Had Rice decided not to strike and had played those 3 games against replacements, people would be saying "well his record is flawed since he played 3 games against replacements. He only played 12 real games so only consider the TDs in those 12 games.

Rice made the right decision to sit out and hed be damned either way in the eyes of a lot of people on this board.

He sits and people say "he didnt have to sit, he chose to"
He plays and people would be saying "oooh what a record, scoring TDs against replacements for 3 games. It shouldnt count"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back