PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Rice on Moss and Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, he has a very valid point but I think he should tone down trying to point to his 12-season game in every interview.

But given his remarkable achievements and his good character, I ignore his reminders of his 12-season game and instead admire the grace with which he applauds Moss and Brady.

regardless of length of season... rice had more TD's than the MVP, a QB, that season, yeah, a wide receiver had more TD's than the MVP QB... that would be like moss throwing up 50 TD's this year... rice was robbed of the MVP that year... the winner was a QB who has 19 TD's and 12 int's. that is a joke.... although, i will point out, the nfl does not even have an mvp award (bet many of you didnt know that)

No I'm not nuts. Why don't you crawl back into that little lightning bolt hole you came from? Young took over the wheel of a high performance machine with the greatest offensive weapon since Jim Brown sitting next to him in Jerry Rice. His passing efficiency consisted of throwing the ball umpteen times to the greatest receiver in NFL history, or dumping it off to his running back. He routinely sucked in big games and was a huge frontrunner who tended to fold under adversity like a lawn chair. A HOF induction for a 1 time SB winner who should have won 5 if he'd had a set of balls isn't a HOFer in my book.

PS. Kurt Warner won 2 MVPs too. Big F'n deal.
you are crazy... young was a MUCH MUCH better QB than elway... not even close.

Thank you! I came here to suggest this, but wasn't sure of the extent these factors played into the record. That year, a guy from my Division 3 college ended up on the Patriots for a while!

Why does the national media NEVER mention these points?
get your facts straight... rice did not play once against replacement players. he sat out the same 3 games the other "regular" guys sat out. your D3 buddy played the first 3 games.
the rice 1987 year was the single greatest season by any player in the history of the nfl... like him or not, it is a fact.

Last edited:
you are crazy... young was a MUCH MUCH better QB than elway... not even close.

Yes. And just off the top of my head Young was much, much better than Jim Kelly too. If anyone wants to kick Steve Young out of the Hall of Fame they will need to throw John Elway and Jim Kelly out of the Hall first.

Last edited:
I'm tired of the "I did it in 12 games" crap. He played 19 other seasons, he had plenty of 16 game seasons to beat or set his own record. Tough break, Jerry.

I'm not tired of it. Record-breaking seasons are judged on their own merits, not what the guy did in his other seasons. What have the other seasons got to do with it? Did Babe Ruth equal his own record later? That's a ridiculous comment. Just admit that there is a big difference between 12 and 16 games and give the man his dues. He earned his dues, so pay up. That's what you demand for our guys, so why change it up for some other guys?

You do realize of course that if you write off Rice like this, you have to write off Brady the exact same way.
This year he's been given a high performance machine and he has the greatest offensive weapon in the league next to him in Randy Moss. His passing efficiencnty consists of throwing the ball umpteen times to the (arguably) greatest receiver in NFL history.

Would you write off the year Brady is having just because hes throwing to the (arguably) greatest? No. Itd be stupid. So why fault Steve Young for being in the exact same offensive situation as your current QB?
You may be the only person in all of the football universe who would say Steve Young is not HOF calibre.

Nonsense. Brady has 3 rings without Moss, and Moss was nothing over the last 2 seasons without Brady. There are plenty of astute football fans who would agree with me regarding Steve Young. As a side note, Young was always injured and barely had enough full years as a starting QB IMO to qualify for the HOF ballot, let alone gain entry. Young played only 11 games in 1991, 11 games in 1995, and 12 games in 1996. In none of those seasons did his team win a playoff game, and Young averaged only 17 TD passes per season. BTW, in those 3 seasons, in which Young threw for 51 TDs, Jerry Rice caught 37 TDs. In those 3 seasons when Young threw for 8100 yards, Jerry Rice had 4300 receiving yards.

So basically Young must have got into the HOF for what he did in the 5 seasons which didn't include the mediocre years 91, 95 and 96. 5 years is a very short time frame to put a QB in the HOF. Granted, they were
5 great statistical seasons. Kurt Warner has had 4, won just as many MVPs, just as many SBs, and actually led his team to more SB appearances. Furthermore, Warner didn't have a resume which included coughing up fur balls in the playoffs prior to his hand injury. He barely trails Young in career passer rating. And yet rightly, nobody argues that Warner should be in the HOF. IMO Steve Young was the West Coast system Qb par excellence, who benefited from a ridiculously talented supporting cast his entire career in SF, and was an underwhelming playoff performer. He couldn't carry Elway's jock, a QB who singlehandedly brought his team to multiple Sbs with as little surrounding offensive talent as any QB until Tom Brady.

get your facts straight... rice did not play once against replacement players. he sat out the same 3 games the other "regular" guys sat out. your D3 buddy played the first 3 games.
the rice 1987 year was the single greatest season by any player in the history of the nfl... like him or not, it is a fact.

I could care less. The bottom line is that he CHOSE to sit out those 3 games in order to squeeze a better deal out of the NFL.

You can't have your cake and eat it to. You choose to sit out 3 games and then you complain later that someone else is going to break your record because you only had 14 games to do it in so your record should MEAN more.

Too F'n Bad! His A.S.S should have played those 3 games and pumped the record higher if he doesn't like it. Otherwise, Jerry Rice should just shut the Fck up!!!!

It's not like his played he career in a 14 game seasons.... what about all those other years Jerry? You cry baby!

Last edited:
I could care less. The bottom line is that he CHOSE to sit out those 3 games in order to squeeze a better deal out of the NFL.

You can't have your cake and eat it to. You choose to sit out 3 games and then you complain later that someone else is going to break your record because you only had 14 games to do it in so your record should MEAN more.

Too F'n Bad! His A.S.S should have played those 3 games and pumped the record higher if he doesn't like it. Otherwise, Jerry Rice should just shut the Fck up!!!!

It's not like his played he career in a 14 game seasons.... what about all those other years Jerry? You cry baby!

Hard to come up with an argument for that one. Great point.

Last edited:
I think that if Randy breaks the TD record there should be 2 records. Rice during the 12 game season and Randy during the 16 games season. One does not have to take away from the other. They are both records.

Please, if they expand the league to 20 games one year, and someone beats (assuming brady beats manning's record) brady's TD record, everyone on this board would say that brady's record is more impressive.

If you just look at TD passes (not interceptions) and consider the era, perhaps most impressive was Sonny Jurgenson in 1961 throwing 31 in a 12 game season.

No, I don't. I think Young was a mediocre QB who had the greatest WR in history running routes for him. Even Steve Bono looked good with Jerry Rice.

Idiotic. Steve Young MAY be overrated, but he's definitely a Hall of Famer and he's clearly NOT a mediocre QB. Give me a break.

Hard to come up with an argument for that one. Great point.

Actually, it's a terrible point. It's completely unfair to blame Rice completely for a players strike his Union called and he went with. Its whiff of Republican dogma isn't exactly compelling, either.

I agree that Rice shouldn't ***** about the number of games thing - not so much because it's invalid, but because it's beneath him. It's petty, like he cares SO MUCH about "his" record. He makes himself look like a tool when he doesn't need to - he's Jerry F-ing Rice, for God's sake.

No, I don't. I think Young was a mediocre QB who had the greatest WR in history running routes for him. Even Steve Bono looked good with Jerry Rice.
Well, Joe Montana had Rice, and John Taylor, who for a few years was just about as big a threat as Rice, and he had Roger Craig, the first 1,000 yd rusher and 1,000 yard pass receiver in a single season. So, you could say that Joe was more of a product of the talent around him than Steve. I wouldn't say it. It goes both ways. The QBs make the WRs as much as vice versa. Joe and Steve are both HOFers. Steve made it in in the first round also.

He doesn't need to point out the fact he is great or that he has the record but at the end of the day the record is for a single season number of TD receptions. his may have been more impressive harder to get but if moss gets it he has the record thats the way it is there was less games played in the 60's and 70's but they go in with the NFL records not on their own why should a strike season be any different.

What rice did is amazing and yes harder than it is for moss to do but when we look back in time there could be more games played in a season and break that record moss doing it will be better than someone else but the record will be theirs.

Young may be overrated but he is definitely of HOF caliber maybe not as good as others like Elway but still HOF calibre. And didn't Elway choke and a big game too like in superbowl22 vs the redskins (1987)? He overcame that and won 2 rings but not for 10 years he was a 9 time pro bowler and one of the greatest to play the game. Just cause Young choked doesn't mean he wasn't great his numbers are great.

I think that if Randy breaks the TD record there should be 2 records. Rice during the 12 game season and Randy during the 16 games season. One does not have to take away from the other. They are both records.

My personal thought has always been that seasonal league records should only apply when the games played were identical. For example, baseball should have a set of records for 154 games and a set for 162. It would solve a lot of these sorts of problems.

He was just on Mike and Mike, he stated again that he did it in 12 games, but that he would call Moss and congratulate him. He appreciated what he was doing.
They asked him what QB he would want to line up with and he said Brady, Manning and Favre. They corrected him and said of all time, he said Montana, Brady and Marino. He said what Brady has done is just amazing, and he now needs to be in the discussion of greatest of all time.

at least he got the second part right

Well, Joe Montana had Rice, and John Taylor, who for a few years was just about as big a threat as Rice, and he had Roger Craig, the first 1,000 yd rusher and 1,000 yard pass receiver in a single season. So, you could say that Joe was more of a product of the talent around him than Steve. I wouldn't say it. It goes both ways. The QBs make the WRs as much as vice versa. Joe and Steve are both HOFers. Steve made it in in the first round also.

Montana won 2 Sbs and 2 Sb MVPs before Rice set foot on an NFL field. He also won 1 Sb without Roger Craig. and 1 with Craig as a backup rookie.

Rice doesn't need to bring up the 12 games season issue. That's what we fans are for. I'll ignore his comments on this issue and not make a big deal out it.

Moss has 2 seasons with 17 TDs and one with 21 ( and counting)
Rice has 1 season with 22 TDs and (the next best season) with 17 TDs. He had around 3 seasons with 15 TDs.

Rice has averaged 9.85 TDs per season.
Moss has averaged 12.2 TDs per season (surprised?).:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill