PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Porter rumor... is this gonna happen???

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I'm all for bolstering the WR corps, but no. Not Jerry Porter. I can never bring myself to root for a guy like that. Guys like Harrison and Dillon, they were never seen on the sidelines laughing and cheering because of their teams being clobbered. Nor did they park in their boss's parking space to send a message. They came to New England because they want to win. Porter is all about Porter. No chance that he comes here.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
Porter, Gabriel, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown would be an interesting group.
What a creative group of WRs:

Cole Porter
Peter Gabriel
Erskine Caldwell
and of course, Jackson Brown

I just want to start this completely unfounded rumor in case it spreads all over the net to the point where the teams might actually consider something this rediculous:

Three-Team-Deal

Pats send the #1 they got for Branch to Oakland who sends Porter and a fifth rounder to the Giants who then send the disgruntled Plaxico Burress and cash to New England.

NOTE: This is completely fictional and most likely very stupid on all accounts. I just wanted to start a rumor, get feedback.

NEM said:
I believe they are both ready but BB held them out figuring it was a home game, one they should have won fairly easy. and that they would be better fit and ready to go with one more week of recovery.. i look for both of them in uniform, playing, and contributing.

Too much is made out of this acclamating garbage....

Injuries, yes, acclamating, no.

I think there's a lot to the acclimation issue. It almost seems to be worse for veterans coming in than rookies starting out - we've had more failures than successes.

Reche Caldwell's interview a week ago shed a lot of light on that, he said that he had to throw out everything he ever learned at San Diego, who's a passing-oriented team. He said that here you can run the right route but end up in the wrong place, based on reads and adjustments the WR needs to make all over the field as the play is being called, as the D lines up, and as the play unfolds.

We're in survival mode the first half of this season, until these guys all pick it up. Only Troy knows the system, the rest are all learning it. It's going to take them months to learn it well. We've got to improvise and hang on until then.

Warren94 said:
I don't think it is going to happen either. Welcome to the board. Especially the cap hit the Raiders will take on this deal. It's huge I Believe.

If this were to happen and the Pats traded Oakland a 2nd round pick or less for Porter after this Branch thing, construction on BB's statue in Foxboro should begin immediately.

Is there a chance Shell can make Porter inactive for the entire season or will the NFLPA step in?

BelichickFan said:
Here's his contract situation :

"Signed a five-year, $21 million contract on 02/23/2005. The deal includes $7 million in guarantees, including a $4 million signing bonus. He will receive base salaries of $1 million (2006), $1 million (2007), $5.2 million (2008) and $6.4 million (2009). Porter can be an unrestricted free agent in 2010."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=830

Just say no....

If the Pats weren't willing to give Branch a ton of guaranteed money, why would they do it for Porter?

Last edited:
BigT815 said:
Just say no....

If the Pats weren't willing to give Branch a ton of guaranteed money, why would they do it for Porter?

What guaranteed money? It's one million this year, one million next. The Raiders already paid most, if not all, of the guaranteed money.

If we he becomes a #1 WR for us, the 5.2 million in 2008 is reasonable too.

BoTown said:
Is there a chance Shell can make Porter inactive for the entire season or will the NFLPA step in?
one would think the PA would step in, he would have to suspend him for good reason.......Even then the NFLPA would take issue with it. It is in Oakland's best interest to trade him, but his value is probably very low right now with all the crap he has been pulling.

BelichickFan said:
2005 and 2006 :

Porter :

64-998-15.6
76-942-12.4

Branch :

35-454-13.0
78-998-12.8
Thanks, but I've already seen that in the eleventy-dozen previous threads discussing a trade I think is very unlikely, I'll still stick with Reche.

BigT815 said:
Just say no....

That looks like $13 million over 4 years to me. So Porter would cost $3.25 a year versus $6.5 million to Deion.

dryheat44 said:
What guaranteed money? It's one million this year, one million next. The Raiders already paid most, if not all, of the guaranteed money.

Check '08 and '09 if he can not become a #1.

He is big an talented, but I don't see them doing it just for the '09 salary. Just a feeling....

dryheat44 said:

Right, with no bonus acceleration he's a 2 year, $2M player.

BoTown said:
You know, I'm all for bolstering the WR corps, but no. Not Jerry Porter. I can never bring myself to root for a guy like that. Guys like Harrison and Dillon, they were never seen on the sidelines laughing and cheering because of their teams being clobbered. Nor did they park in their boss's parking space to send a message. They came to New England because they want to win. Porter is all about Porter. No chance that he comes here.

Do we know for a fact that Porter was cheering and laughing because the Raiders were losing? No, we do not.

Corey Dillon, in the year he backed up Rudi, was frequently seen pouting on the sidelines and not paying attention to the game. He threw his equipment into the crowd the last game, remember? Or is it forgotten now because he's a Patriot?

How can you say Porter is all about Porter? I don't know what his latest problem is. It's probably resentment after the team promised him the #1 job and then signed Moss, because he doesn't like the zoo-like atmosphere over there, or because they suck with no hope in sight. What I do know is that until recently, he was (by all written accounts) a model citizen. How come Dillon and Harrison get the benefit of "only wanting to win" but not Porter? Especially since Dillon was leaving a playoff-caliber team because he was unhappy with his role? Let's not revise history.

I could care less if we get him or not, but we've signed guys that were much bigger question marks than Porter. This team has the veteran leadership that will get him to toe the line if necessary.

BigT815 said:
Check '08 and '09 if he can not become a #1.
Doesn't matter. He would be 2 years, $2M after which we could cut him with zero cap hit.

upstater1 said:
That looks like $13 million over 4 years to me. So Porter would cost $3.25 a year versus $6.5 million to Deion.
If I am not mistaken, the NFL doesn't work like the NHL where you take the total number and divide it by the # of years on the contract. I Believe the NFL cap works on the actual amount being made that year, including bonuses. I may be wrong, and feel free to correct me, but I am pretty sure that is how it works.

BelichickFan said:
Doesn't matter. He would be 2 years, $2M after which we could cut him with zero cap hit.
good point, and the NFL does allow that. But then you start to run the risk of having players not want to come to NE because they are afraid they won't have a job in a year or two for the contract they have. I know, it's a trade...but look at the rep the Bruins have had for not forking over money to players, it has hurt them in signing UFA's until this year. Would you want to see the Pats be known as a team that just tosses players after their contract no longer appeals to them? After a while it will come back to hurt them.

BigT815 said:
If I am not mistaken, the NFL doesn't work like the NHL where you take the total number and divide it by the # of years on the contract. I Believe the NFL cap works on the actual amount being made that year, including bonuses. I may be wrong, and feel free to correct me, but I am pretty sure that is how it works.

If the figures reported on the contract are correct, Porter would count 1.8 million vs. the cap in '06 and '07, 6 in '08 and 7.2 in '09. However, unlike the NHL, contracts are not guaranteed, so we could cut him after 2007 with a dead money hit of 1.6 on the cap. Not bad at all.

Last edited:
BigT815 said:
good point, and the NFL does allow that. But then you start to run the risk of having players not want to come to NE because they are afraid they won't have a job in a year or two for the contract they have. I know, it's a trade...but look at the rep the Bruins have had for not forking over money to players, it has hurt them in signing UFA's until this year. Would you want to see the Pats be known as a team that just tosses players after their contract no longer appeals to them? After a while it will come back to hurt them.

Every team does it. Every single one. The back years are a phony cap accounting device that nobody except Ty Law expects to see. In this scenario, Porter would renegotiate or be cut.

BigT815 said:
good point, and the NFL does allow that. But then you start to run the risk of having players not want to come to NE because they are afraid they won't have a job in a year or two for the contract they have.
It's kind of a moot point because he would have received the bonus already and known there was a decent chance he wouldn't see the last two years.

More likely if we made a deal we would offer to re-do the deal with more level salaries and a new signing bonus that would work for both sides long term and get Porter a nice big check now. Instead of $14M in salaries over 4 years, give him $4M signing bonus and $2.5M a year over four years. Gives him the same money but more guaranteed. And costs us $3.5M a year as opposed to the $6M we offered Branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye