PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Porter rumor... is this gonna happen???

Status
Not open for further replies.

phriar

Rookie
Reaction score
Hi.. I'm new to the board, but have popped over here time to time to read in the past. I saw a rumor on a fantasy football page (rotoworld.com) reporting that we may be trading for Jerry Porter.

Didn't see any talk of it over here (suprisingly)... did anyone else hear anything about this? Any truth to this?

Here's the report from Rotoworld.com:

WEEI in Boston's Jon Meterparel reported Tuesday that the Patriots are close acquiring Raiders WR Jerry Porter, but other sources including NFL.com's Pat Kirwan have dismissed the claim.

Don't call them the New England Raiders just yet. Meterparel hasn't been the most reliable reporter in the past, although the possible deal makes sense on the surface. If Porter is available in your fantasy league, it's a good idea to pick him up in case.

First of all...Welcome to the board!

But with all due respect, I will no longer be suckered by rumors like this. The Patriots never leak info like this. I got suckered by that Donnie Edwards rumor a few weeks ago. How did that turn out for us?:rolleyes:

welcome to the board and thanks for citing your claims. that is the first that i have seen the rumor in writing. have no clue if it will take place. there are a million threads to whether it should take place or not.

Last edited:
DefenseRules said:
First of all...Welcome to the board!

But with all due respect, I will no longer be suckered by rumors like this. The Patriots never leak info like this. I got suckered by that Donnie Edwards rumor a few weeks ago. How did that turn out for us?:rolleyes:

i thought we traded for donny. oh my bad. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing Porter in a Pats uniform, but I don't put much stock in what meterparel says; he's a joke-just like the rest of the EEI morning show crew.

Last edited:
Depends on a lot of things, #1 being who's his agent?

I just looked, you are right it does say that. From what I've seen of Meter on NEST, he seems like an airhead moron - but he's certainly closer to the scene than I am. Porter, Gabriel, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown would be an interesting group.

With what little I admittedly know about Porter, I'll stick with Caldwell.

Edit: Didn't Porter recently sign a multi-million dollar semi-elite WR deal? I'd rather trust Tommy, Brown, and Daboll to whip this receiving corps into shape on the cheap given our latest exposure to disgruntled players smelling dollar signs.

Last edited:
PatsChick87 said:
Depends on a lot of things, #1 being who's his agent?
Here's his contract situation :

"Signed a five-year, $21 million contract on 02/23/2005. The deal includes $7 million in guarantees, including a $4 million signing bonus. He will receive base salaries of $1 million (2006), $1 million (2007), $5.2 million (2008) and $6.4 million (2009). Porter can be an unrestricted free agent in 2010."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=830

I don't see us bringing this bad apple into town

- but those who have predicted that the Pats already have the strongest WR corps we've ever seen around here should be prepared for the possible shock of seeing street FA WRs brought in for tryouts, or even the possibility of a different trade

As much as some are banking on Gabriel and Jackson filling Branch's shoes, BB prefers to improve the odds in his favor as much as possible.

That means he and the Patriots won't stand "Pat"

Last edited:
"there are a million threads to whether it should take place or not."

Thanks for the welcome... I haven't been around to see the other threads you refer to... what is the overall consensus? Would you guys like this trade... obviously depends on what we give up... but what do you guys think of Porter? Talented receiver... but may have an attitude problem. I heard he was laughing it up on the bench while Brooks was being sacked for the 7th time last night. Do we want that kind of player around here.. we all know Bill won't take that sh*t. On the other side of the coin.. Porter is very talented in a position we need to fill.

I guess the attitude can be adjusted in the right system and as long as we don't give up much, I'm all for this trade.

I would be very surprised it we traded for Jerry Porter.

Has anyone tried to get on the Raiders boards and check out what they're saying. I tried getting in over there, but couldn't find any posts on the threads. Any luck?

I like Porter's ability and I think that he could be a good player here. You can understand his frustration 27-0 and he is on the sidelines. I think in an atmosphere as solid as ours Porter would be fine. Having said that I would not give either of the first's for Porter. A second is as far as I would go. Also acclimation is going to be a factor.... (Gabriel and Jackson are not even acclimated yet)

Box_O_Rocks said:
With what little I admittedly know about Porter, I'll stick with Caldwell.

2005 and 2006 :

Porter :

64-998-15.6
76-942-12.4

Branch :

35-454-13.0
78-998-12.8

Krazy Koz said:
Has anyone tried to get on the Raiders boards and check out what they're saying. I tried getting in over there, but couldn't find any posts on the threads. Any luck?

I've tried getting on there. All I can find is a bunch of people looking forward to Brady Quinn arriving in the Bay Area after being the first player selected in the draft next year. Although the way the Raiders are these days, you wouldn't bet the house on them even getting that right.

Are you kidding me NEM they aren't acclimated other wise they would have played. They both have recovered from their injuries. Receivers have a tough time coming to NE and just stepping on the field and starting, ask Caldwell. I like both guys but it is going to take time

I don't think it is going to happen either. Welcome to the board. Especially the cap hit the Raiders will take on this deal. It's huge I Believe.

I heard that Porter was on the sidelines clapping and laughing at one of Brook's sacks. Is this the kind of guy you want on your team? I also hear he's kind of a d#ink and rather selfish. Is this the kind of guy you want on your team?

Garbanza said:
I heard that Porter was on the sidelines clapping and laughing at one of Brook's sacks. Is this the kind of guy you want on your team? I also hear he's kind of a d#ink and rather selfish. Is this the kind of guy you want on your team?

Best thing ever was his parking in Al Davis' parking spot the other day. THAT'S how you get sent out of town.

I wouldn't be opposed to acquiring Porter. The money is definitely right, since his SB has already been paid. He doesn't want out because of financial reasons, and never heard a bad thing about him before. He's certainly less of a character risk than Corey Dillon was. Exponentially less.

The only hangup might be what Oakland wants in a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back