PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Hughes may be available

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphilip77

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Found this interesting bit of info on Stampede Blue (Colt's SB Nation Blog):

2011 NFL Roster Cuts: Colts Reportedly Will Cut Ricardo Mathews, Donald Brown And Jerry Hughes On The Bubble - Stampede Blue

Should he be released and clear waivers, I would be on board for signing him to the 53 in place of Eric Moore or Mark Anderson. The guy has talent, but it seems as though Indy's scheme does not showcase his abilities (which seems VERY weird considering he looks and plays like a Mini Dwight Freeney). In any case, more pie in Polian's face!!!:singing:

IF they really cut Brown & Hughes, that means you'd have to go back to 2007 to find a Colts #1 pick who lasted more than 2 seasons before getting cut. Yikes.

Last edited:
This cannot be true. One of the main things I've learned here at PatsFans, is that only the Patriots blow high round draft picks. ;)

I'm pretty much madly in love with Brother Jerry Hughes.

But no way in HELL would I want to see us cut...ANY of those guys to make room for'm.

He's got exceptional potential, but not in our scheme.

This cannot be true. One of the main things I've learned here at PatsFans, is that only the Patriots blow high round draft picks. ;)

Exactly. Why, it was just last August when Felger was telling us how badly the Patriots have drafted in recent years, especially when compared to the Colts.

Mods, please move this thread to the Heresy forum! :D

Last edited:
He actually had a good game last night.I would take a chance on him.

Stop linking anything that is written by the biggest douche bag in blog history.

Good Lord!

He had a good game against scrubs. Jerry Hughes is awful. He almost single-handedly gave away their playoff gave to the Jets last year too with one of the most half-hearted special teams plays I've ever seen in a huge spot. He's a dog.

Hell Maybin looked good last night too should we grab him if the Jets cut him?

1st rounders don't get cut in their 2nd preseason unless they are terrible. No way would I cut Moore for this clown.

Colts have been horrendous drafting lately though. They are a team that could implode any minute, healthy Peyton or not.

But I thought Bill Polian = unequaled football genius

But I thought Bill Polian = unequaled football genius

Polian has to be the biggest fraud in the NFL right now. He hit gold once and a few other gems, but has done nothing for a few years now. Handing Caldwell the HC job is another failure of his that shouldn't be overlooked.

Pretty in Pink? 16 Candles? The freKin Breafast Club, for God's sake? Hell to the yes, sign the beast!

Oh. Jerry Hughes.

N/m

Here is a list of the Colts' first pick in each draft. Player was a first round pick unless noted.

2004 Bob Sanders (2nd rd)
2005 Marlin Jackson
2006 Joseph Addai
2007 Anthony Gonzalez
2008 Mike Pollak (2nd rd)
2009 Donald Brown
2010 Jerry Hughes

So about 1/7, with Sanders and Addai each counting as half a success?

Here is a list of the Colts' first pick in each draft. Player was a first round pick unless noted.

2004 Bob Sanders (2nd rd)
2005 Marlin Jackson
2006 Joseph Addai
2007 Anthony Gonzalez
2008 Mike Pollak (2nd rd)
2009 Donald Brown
2010 Jerry Hughes

So about 1/7, with Sanders and Addai each counting as half a success?

And don't forget the reason they didn't have a 1st in 2008: they spent it in 2007 to draft the immortal Tony Ugoh.

Found this interesting bit of info on Stampede Blue (Colt's SB Nation Blog):

2011 NFL Roster Cuts: Colts Reportedly Will Cut Ricardo Mathews, Donald Brown And Jerry Hughes On The Bubble - Stampede Blue

Should he be released and clear waivers, I would be on board for signing him to the 53 in place of Eric Moore or Mark Anderson. The guy has talent, but it seems as though Indy's scheme does not showcase his abilities (which seems VERY weird considering he looks and plays like a Mini Dwight Freeney). In any case, more pie in Polian's face!!!:singing:

If the Colts' are giving up on a high (D) pick this soon after he was drafted I'm not interested. I realize it would have been almost impossible to supplant Freeney and probably Mathis. But a high pick should have value somewhere on that D-line. At least as the first guy off the bench to spell starters.

The dude isn't a professional football player. Its too bad he can't speed rush MWC tackles all day.

Exactly. Why, it was just last August when Felger was telling us how badly the Patriots have drafted in recent years, especially when compared to the Colts.

Mods, please move this thread to the Heresy forum! :D

Borges also loves to sing the praises of Polian....

When was the last time he drafted an impact player>

DE - Hughes - 1st round pick (may get cut).
RB - Brown - 1st rouund pick (may get cut).
OL - Ugoh - (traded a 1st (following year) to draft him in the 2nd round.
WR - Gonzalez (Makes JD Drew look durable).

Great job Polian.....

When was the last time he drafted an impact player>

In the first round, 2004. Last time he drafted a first round impact player who could stay healthy was 2003, with Dallas Clark.

To be fair, Joseph Addai and Bob Sanders were two of the most important players on the Colts during their 2006 Super Bowl run, so even though both struggled to stay healthy or effective at times I'd say they were great picks.

Gonzalez has never been healthy either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye