PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerome Solomon wishes Globe liked Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Jerome Solomon of the Boston Globe ofcourse is leaving for Houston. He praises his soon to be former employers, but does add one interesting note:

"I just wish that more of them loved football rather than that scratch and spit sport."

Hmmm. I thought the brass at the Globe denies their Sox over Patriot favoritism. It seems their own writer agrees with us.

Case closed.

Yeah but Baseball is better:D

:singing: C'mon and try to get me! A moving target is very tough to hit.

Sadly, the bottom line is that the foremost newspaper in all of New England -- the Boston Globe, does a horrible job of covering the sport of football, and the Patriots specifically. Ever since Will McDonough died, the paper is nearly useless when it comes to football matters.

If they lose Reiss, they might as well stop bothering to cover the sport at all...

Bostonian1962 said:
Jerome Solomon of the Boston Globe ofcourse is leaving for Houston. He praises his soon to be former employers, but does add one interesting note:

"I just wish that more of them loved football rather than that scratch and spit sport."

Hmmm. I thought the brass at the Globe denies their Sox over Patriot favoritism. It seems their own writer agrees with us.

Case closed.

What??? I read the article and he wasn't talking about the globe at all. He was talking about the new england sportsfan.

"jlm

Good Luck in Houston. I hope you have some good memories of your time here and I hope you'll keep following the Pats. We'll miss your insight.

Jerome_Solomon

Great memories. Cancelled tee time in June because it was 50 degrees. Snow on Halloween. Daily Bill Belichick press conferences. Actually, the Globe has the best sports section in the country and my soo-to-be former boss Joe Sullivan is as good as they get. (That should help me get that final paycheck.) And the Boston sports fan has no peer. I just wish that more of them loved football rather than that scratch and spit sport. "

Last edited:
That is not even close to what he said. This is the quote:

" Actually, the Globe has the best sports section in the country and my soo-to-be former boss Joe Sullivan is as good as they get. (That should help me get that final paycheck.) And the Boston sports fan has no peer. I just wish that more of them loved football rather than that scratch and spit sport."

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...8/15/jerome_solomon_patriots_chat_transcript/

There is no doubt he is talking about Boston sports fans.

Last edited:
I think he is also saying Borges sucks and the line about the Globe thats nothing new they have been trying to put the Pats down ever since they became one of the best teams in the league. Its one of the few places in the country who promote baseball over football and they will argue the point even though you look at the football ratings the football TV contract etc... its not even close.

dhamz said:

" Actually, the Globe has the best sports section in the country and my soo-to-be former boss Joe Sullivan is as good as they get. (That should help me get that final paycheck.) And the Boston sports fan has no peer. I just wish that more of them loved football rather than that scratch and spit sport."

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...8/15/jerome_solomon_patriots_chat_transcript/

Thanks for the correction. I hadnt' read the article.

Sad to say, my opinion of the Globe still holds, nonetheless.

Bostonian1962 said:

Case closed.

You must be one of the members of the Boston Sports Media, taking quotes out of context in an attempt to stir up controversy. ;)

I don't think there are any Pats fans who think the Globe has good coverage. I'm not sure there are fans of any Boston sport impressed with the Globe's coverage of any sport these days. If a departing reporter said it, it would be good news but that just wasn't what Solomon said.

The only guy who they have that anyone respects is Reiss and as we saw this time last year (when his final roster prediction placed about 20 guys who had already prcaticed on the PUP) he is still learning the ins and out of the NFL.

dhamz said:
The only guy who they have that anyone respects is Reiss and as we saw this time last year (when his final roster prediction placed about 20 guys who had already prcaticed on the PUP) he is still learning the ins and out of the NFL.
Missed that one..are you sure that wasn't a nightmare?? (Maybe from reading too many of Borges's columns??)

Pats726 said:
Missed that one..are you sure that wasn't a nightmare?? (Maybe from reading too many of Borges's columns??)

Nope - just a big error on his part. One he apologized for and quickly corrected.

Since I haven't read a Borges column in years, it would be hard to get nightmares from it.

The Globe coverage has improved since 2005. Less Borges and more Reiss is a good thing. My one complaint about training camp coverage is the limited information that all the bloggers (Not you Mrs. B...never...you are the shining star, no doubt) offer up. Seven sentences...two paragraphs...a couple of random quotes is not enough. You bloggers are there all day every day, give us more. You may not think some info is important...but give us everything. Tomase, put down the hot dog and start cranking out the whole story, you are our eyes.

borg said:
The Globe coverage has improved since 2005. Less Borges and more Reiss is a good thing. My one complaint about training camp coverage is the limited information that all the bloggers (Not you Mrs. B...never...you are the shining star, no doubt) offer up. Seven sentences...two paragraphs...a couple of random quotes is not enough. You bloggers are there all day every day, give us more. You may not think some info is important...but give us everything. Tomase, put down the hot dog and start cranking out the whole story, you are our eyes.
Since Breer has been allowed to blog on the Herald's page and the ProJo has been letting the rest of the bullpen covering the Pats have a few sentences to share anecdotes, there has been in blog quality, now they get to prove they can keep the notes and quips coming beyond Training Camp - much of that will depend on how much leeway they will get to develop sources and player/media relationships.

dhamz said:
Yup...the Boston sports fan..NOT the Globe..If he had NOT talked about the Boston fans in the sentence before, you might think it was about the Globe..but no. I think Pats fans are getting close to the size of the Sox fans..it's amazing given the poor coverage in the papers and how the Sox are shoved down the throats of everyone.

I'd have more respect for Solomon if he didn't write 2 shill articles for Branch's agent.

Bostonian1962 said:

Case closed.

I think the title of this thread is a little misleading. I was the person Jerome was responding to and I think he definitely meant he wished the Boston sports fans, were more interested in football. He also complained about the weather here and BB's press conferences. I was a little offended. My response that the Africa-like heat and tornados in Houston ain't so great didn't get posted.

But if you want to think it was a dig at the Glob, go ahead.

Last edited:
dhamz said:

Wow, I misread that one. Sorry. It was 6 A.M., and I read it to be 'Joe Sullivan is as good as they get...the Boston sports fan has nobody better...I just wish more of the folks at the Globe loved football rather than that scratch and spit sport.'

I believe that could very well be my first mistake ever. :) Appologies!

Amnorix said:
Sadly, the bottom line is that the foremost newspaper in all of New England -- the Boston Globe, does a horrible job of covering the sport of football, and the Patriots specifically. Ever since Will McDonough died, the paper is nearly useless when it comes to football matters.

If they lose Reiss, they might as well stop bothering to cover the sport at all...

Wrong model!!

While Mr. McDonut was alive, he instructed and taught all his fellow aspiring and upcoming sportswriters to be Heda Hoppers, scratching for dirt and sensationalizing gossip, instead of covering the sports end of the job. Too many learned their lessons all too well.

But Will spent more time covering the Neuw Yawk Fuutball Jints, then he ever did the Pats.

Last edited:
I agree with Jerome.
This baseball vs football thing is the WORST part of living in Boston. Ted Sarandis was right, Boston does not have the best sports fans. Its just that the media saturates us with baseball, and the bandwagoners (people who don't really like sports at all) follow the Red Sox just to fit in. Ask most Red Sox fan about National League teams and you will get a blank stare.
Ugh..... it drives me up the wall everyday.

It's the same thing with basketball around here. People say it sucks. Have you seen Lebron James, Dwayne Wade or Dwight Howard? The Spurs, Suns and Heat play great team basketball. Yeah the Celtics suck but this new Team USA is the awesome. Any coverage or talk at all? Nope.

This is possibly the worst sports town in America if you like any other team than the Red Sox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes