PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo Ranked #72

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think he should be ranked much higher.

He's a tackling machine but lack of playmaking ability is what holds him back imo.

Last edited:

He's a tackling machine but lack of playmaking ability is what holds him back imo.

the defensive rookie of the year and last years leader in tackles....

isnt making enough plays?

for the record #71 was Brandon Marshall (thats not a typo)

He ranked:
16th in yards (1,014)
74th in TDs (3)

Last edited:
That headline is wrong Mayo is ranked 62 not 72. It was a great piece on him that was presented by Belichick. I think that is about right until the Pats get a more elite defense their player are not going to be rated very high. For the offense that is a different story.
Pats LB Mayo No. 62 in NFL's Top 100

Tackling is not playmaking? Tackling is a lost art in the NFL, sad but true.

Would you consider Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis playmakers?

Well, Mayo had more tackles then both of them, he had one less Forced Fumble then both Lewis and Willis; Mayo tied Lewis with 3 recovered fumbles which is 3 more than Willis had. Lewis and Mayo had 2 sacks each while Willis had 6. In the passing game, Lewis had 4 pass defensed, 2 Int's and 1 TD. Willis and Mayo had 5 pass defensed and no Int's.

So you will have to define what constitutes "playmaking ability" in your view. Because from every definable stat Mayo is on the same level or above as the two ILB's that are considered by many to be the best in the league. :confused:

Last edited:
Tackles or a loss, sacks, forced fumbles, interceptions....that is playmaking and he doesn't make enough of them....yet

Tackles or a loss, sacks, forced fumbles, interceptions....that is playmaking and he doesn't make enough of them....yet

Compared to whom?

Did you read my post above yours? I can't find a tackles for a loss stat on any of the normal stat sights but the rest of the categories you listed he was right their with Lewis and Willis trailing each in one category. Not sure what else you want out of a 3rd year player in a two gapping 3-4. If there is one weakness it is his coverage skills and although he doesn't have picks he does have PD's.

Last edited:
he had lots of tackles but after the runner had their 3-4 yards. I'm happy we have Mayo but IMO he is a very good but not elite player. I think he's more valuable to the team as a leader and for doing his job on the field and playing within the system. I think his ranking is close enough to where he belongs. He still has trouble shedding blockers and he's not great in coverage. He does what he's asked to do and he does it very well ... good enough to stay here a long time.

Last edited:
These are ranked by their peers, not by some fanboys, journalists or analysts with agendas. I think he's ranking is just about right.

And to randomK1, I see your point about Mayo not making enough impact plays. But good luck trying to convince these guys who'll use stats and numbers to paint a picture instead of using their eyes.

he had lots of tackles but after the runner had their 3-4 yards. I'm happy we have Mayo but IMO he is a very good but not elite player. I think he's more valuable to the team as a leader and for doing his job on the field and playing within the system. I think his ranking is close enough to where he belongs. He still has trouble shedding blockers and he's not great in coverage. He does what he's asked to do and he does it very well ... good enough to stay here a long time.
You need to watch more closely. Mayo is as good as any ILB in the NFL at shedding 300lb blockers

Whether he is ranked too high or low (or just right) to me would depend on how many inside linebackers will be ranked above him and who they are. Secondly, also by positional representation on the list. Some positions may be over-represented. I think there are a bunch of WR's on the list. If we consider all positions to be "equal" (debatable), then we might consider that since there are 22 starter positions on offense and defensive combined and there are only 2 starter spots for WR's, then there should be 2/22 x 100 spots for WR's. I think that comes out to 9. So, if we conclude that certain positions are over-represented, then we might also conclude that he should be higher by virtue of positional favoritism.

the link says he was ranked #62 i thinks thats pretty high for any ILB there are a lot of great players in the NFL

sounds like donnie edwards

I love Mayo but I don't think he's top 75. Borderline... probably. Great instincts but doesn't have a resume built up of monumental plays.

Tackling is not playmaking? Tackling is a lost art in the NFL, sad but true.

Would you consider Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis playmakers?

Well, Mayo had more tackles then both of them, he had one less Forced Fumble then both Lewis and Willis; Mayo tied Lewis with 3 recovered fumbles which is 3 more than Willis had. Lewis and Mayo had 2 sacks each while Willis had 6. In the passing game, Lewis had 4 pass defensed, 2 Int's and 1 TD. Willis and Mayo had 5 pass defensed and no Int's.

So you will have to define what constitutes "playmaking ability" in your view. Because from every definable stat Mayo is on the same level or above as the two ILB's that are considered by many to be the best in the league. :confused:

How many gamewinning interceptions Ray Lewis had last year? 4th and 1 stop vs the SD Chargers a year ago,he wins games for his team. Wills is a freak of nature, he is far better at getting to the QB and has quite a few big plays over his career.

I recall that Mayo had a shot at a few interceptions this year and he just couldn't finish the play and rarely do you see him lay a big hit on sombody. I think had one vs the Bills late in the year.

He is still so young and i don't want to be critical by comparing him to a GOAT and his heir apparent. It just isn't fair at this point.

Last edited:
sounds about right.....

number of tackles is partly due to the defenses inability to get off the field

Mayo is a solid player, but what is working against him in polls like this is that he doesn't make a lot of big plays. Mayo is a rock in the center of the field, but rare does he make that big gamechanging play that people who do rankings like these look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes