PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo leads the NFL in tackles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayo cleaning up the middle of the field

Was this a new twist in the NE defense or has Mayo been dropping back in coverage quite a bit on defense? But, Mayo was laying receivers out (yesterday) and forcing some drops on pass defense. I don't remember a game where his physical presence has had such an impact in the secondary (and wit hthe number of tackles he has, that's saying something). Did it affect receivers during the game (meaning the adjusted to passing to the sideline more)?

I didn't see it called out and figured there are some people have been able to key in on him in their review of the game. But, call me impressed.

Re: Mayo cleaning up the middle of the field

He absolutely clocked a couple of people yesterday. Reminded of a young Ray Lewis. Not comparing him yet. But, he's gone from a good player to an all-pro. Should have 3 pro-bowlers on defense; Mayo, Wilfork and McCourty. We have a foundation for a good defense. Just need to work on the outside a little.

Thought all season that he was playing at all pro form, but yesterday he played somewhat different.. definately made a big impact.

Good to see Mayo finally taking that next step and starting to make big plays. Definitely deserves to be a pro-bowler.

He was great yesterday, really crunching people. The fumble recovery and forced fumble were nice too, but the 4th down conversion attempt he broke up stood out in my mind as the biggest play. The receiver was open and caught the ball and Mayo just creamed him and dislodged it. That was a 1st down all the way and Mayo took it away.

He played great, I just want to add that he did his homework well, before the game, he showed Curren what the Bills liked to do in the middle with Johnson and Jackson. He said the Pats were ready for that this time and boy was he right. The Bills receivers started to avoid the middle and started hearing footsteps. That is how the middle is supposed to be. Another thing to note is the difference between Page and Sanders. Page was there before or with the ball, he communicated well with the LBs, handoffs were done seamlessly. Going forward, I would like to see what they will do with Page. Granted we were playing a Bills team that had nothing to play off, but they had been playing tough. I think our defense is the only team to hold them under 6 points. :eek:

People sometimes forget how much players can change over the course of the season, and not just from season to season. Several Pats' players have grown by leaps the second half of the season.

I honestly don't remember a game where Mayo was clocking people like that. We know him as a tackling machine and all that, but he was more than that yesterday. He was an enforcer . . . an intimidator. I would not have gone over the middle if I was in a different colored jersey yesterday. He was on another level.

I remember talk that he would never emerge as a playmaker earlier during preseason. Well, we're watching it happen. There are a few players on the team, in fact, that are growing up right before our eyes.

People sometimes forget how much players can change over the course of the season, and not just from season to season. Several Pats' players have grown by leaps the second half of the season.
Maybe an appreciation for the change is what we are looking at (with a mix of surprise of how well he timed the hits).

However, this seemed to be a new wrnkle put in by the defense and maybe not the player. Perhaps part of preparation for the playoffs where we try to put this in the mind of opposing teams. Before today we typiclly looked very soft over the middle. This felt like going from a light rain to booming thinder with lightning striking (ganted part of that is the difference from a safety hitting a player to a linebaker).

That was some nasty hit he put on the players, legally. I think If the defense play like they did yesterday in the playoffs...very slim chance for any team to win in Foxborough.

I thought it was his best game as a Patriot. Not a good team for sure but thats what good players should do against lesser teams, dominate them.

His rookie season I saw him do that a few times.. Last year he was hurt so he was just average. You can see this defense growing up.. it just looks like there so much more confident and kudo's to Butler.. he played a good game yesterday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye