Welcome to PatsFans.com

Jerod Mayo has big expectations

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOT64, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Concord Monitor - Big expectations

I expect Mayo to go from 0 sacks in 08 to around 10 in 09,I think they use him on the blitz often this year as the outside pressure seems to be in question.

Anyone else see 10 sacks for a bigger,stronger,muscular Mayo?

2. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hell yeah. Go get em, Jerod.

3. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 2 / -4

I expect Mayo to put on a clinic this year. :D Say, 140+ tackles, 8+ sacks, 2+ ints, and a pro bowl spot. He will be the QB of the defense for the next 10 years.

4. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

i dont expect Mayo to post 10 sacks, although 4-6 may be a reasonable goal. I think the INT's should go up. last year at times, Mayo looked a little lost in pass coverage. hopefully he has a full grasp on the Defense this year and is able to make clearer reads and know where to be instead of having to think where he has to be. Im hoping 2-3 picks and 2-4 forced fumbles. hopefully this guy will turn into a playmaker like Bruschi was for us for so many years

5. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +130 / 3 / -8

#51 Jersey

Exactly why i ordered his Patriots Jersey. I can see Mayo being the Next Teddy Bruschi. He was drafted a Patriot and hopefully will retire a Patriot!! I see big things this year for Mayo. Last year he reacted on instinct and this year he understands the defense. I cant wait to see what he could do this year!!

6. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0

From 2003-2004, #54 averaged 3 sacks, 3 INTs, 10 PDs, and about 80 solo tackles. You could make the arguement that during that time, he was one of the top 5 MLBs in football. Last year, Mayo had zero sacks, no INTs, 4 PDs and 1 FF. Pretty good for a rookie, but clearly not even close to top 5 MLB production.

No question Mayo is superior to Bru physically. As we know, the mental aspect as it relates to preperation, recognition and reacting instinctively as opposed to thinking and acting is what made Bru so productive in this prime. With regard to Mayo, BB loves this guy for his work ethic and smarts. That is enough for me to think the sky is the limit for Mayo. I don't see him as a sackmaster, but with 2 TCs and 24 games (inc preseason) in this defense, I expect him to improve expodentially in all areas.

In 2009, I don't think he'll reach Ray Lewis circa 2000 dominance (thats asking for too much), but if he can come close to Bru's production in his prime, I'll take that in a heartbeat.

My .02$

7. PATS68

PATS68 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +29 / 6 / -1

#87 Jersey

I am really looking forward to this year and seeing Mayo take the next step. I am also looking forward to see if Guyton has also taken another step forward. I can't wait until BB trades up in the draft and Spikes is right next to Mayo. Talk about sick!!

I hope they send him more than last year. I think the upgrade in the secondary might open more blitz packages for the front 7.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  8. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +518 / 0 / -3

Mayo, Guyton have solid support system by Andy Vogt of the MetroWest Daily News

9. N.Eman

N.Eman Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Got a point there, since we dont have any pass rush at OLB, they'll be moving Mayo around a lot. Given his explosive ability at the line, they'll have him as a downhill pass rusher, gettin at least 8 maybe 10 sacks. defenately pressure on the QB, forcing bad passes.

10. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 76 / -75

Disable Jersey

This team was in the middle of the NFL pack in sacks despite the loss of A.D., the lack of interior blitzing by either the ILBs or the safeties, the subpar sack numbers of Vrabel and the lack of called blitzes in general.

I expect that the sack total will rise this season, maybe even by quite a bit, and that's regardless of who the 4th linebacker is.

11. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +68 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

With a Jerod and Adalius we are going to have one of the best LB tandems.

12. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +15 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

Maybe, but Thomas has to stay healthy for a whole season and Mayo HAS to make more big plays.

Any LB can make a ton of tackles 4 plus yards downfield. The special ones change game momentum by making BIG plays. Mayo hasn't shown me that yet.

13. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

Great read. Thanks for posting this.

14. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +238 / 22 / -10

No not at all. Tedy was an all-time NCAA pass rush sacker, and he never generated 10 sacks from the ILB position.:eek:

But 3-5 sacks would be reasonable from the ILB positions.:p

15. PatsBoy12

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

I agree. I don't know many ILB's that get that many sacks a year.

16. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0

W/O doing the homework in 2000 Lewis & Urlacher had 6 and 8 sacks each respectively. thats a lot for a MLB.

Common denominator is that both those players had HUGE DTs (Lewis had Siragusa and Adams and Urlacher had old friends Washington and Traylor) in front of them who enveloped blockers and the MLBs were allowed to penetrate gaps.

Certainly with Wilfork and Brace here, there should be a potential for Mayo to make those kinds of blitzes up the middle.

17. Number 2

Number 2 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

With more time in the system, some solid experience under his belt and the added size I think the possibility of a HUGE season is resonable.

18. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +546 / 12 / -5

#51 Jersey

I don't particularly care for the numbers, they'll take care of themselves. All I would like to see is improvement on the field and the rest will follow.

19. eagle eye

eagle eye In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#85 Jersey

We all know Jerod is going to be a superstar but 10 sacks is just too much to ask for. I'm more pumped about Guyton who looks like a beast now and really could be huge for us this season.

20. PatsBoy12

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

Certainly. I hope you didn't think I was saying it was impossible, just not usual. The two players you listed are going to go down as two of the very best ILBs to ever play the game, so the fact that they were able to do it is actually not too surprising. However, I still believe that it really isn't common for many ILBs to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.