PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo fined $21k for hit on Early Doucet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this hit had anything to do with the fine... like Goodell feeling as though he got away with one the first game in his eyes since Nate got hurt on the play.
bilde

Jerod+Mayo+New+England+Patriots+v+Tennessee+hVqRBUxHDltl.jpg

No, that was just the definition of a clean hit. Goodell thinking he 'got away with ome' is a laughable notion fit for the most senile conspiracy theorist!*

Does the rule actually say "neck area"? If so what an absolutely horrible rule...

Is it? Did you see what happen to the Tulane safety Devon Walker? The slightest hit above the neck (friendly fire and it wasn't even hard), he broke his neck, suffered a fully collapsed lung and stopped breathing temporarily.

Your neck breaks, you risk paralysis or death. Yeah..terrible rule, just terrible :rolleyes:

Clearly, you don't know what you are talking about. *The initial contact was with Doucet's SHOULDER. *You clearly don't know the difference between a shoulder and the neck. *

Do yourself a favor and learn the difference between the body parts before quoting rules you clearly don't understand. *

Mayo's hit was TEXTBOOK correct and your ignorance on the subject won't change that fact.

It was millimetres . Had Mayo just gone low, we wouldn't be debating it. His helmet made contact ABOVE. Go look the rule book up and stop being your usually, idiotic and dogmatic self. It's you who has no clue.

That's 'textbook'? I think you'll find NO coach wants his play tackling that high.

Deus isn't a homer. *YOU are blind. *The initial contact was in the shoulder area, not the neck. *Telling others to go read the rules when you clearly don't understand them yourself is the epitome of irony.

BTW, Here is the rulebook for you. *Go read it. *Let us know everything you don't understand so it can be explained to you in a way you might actually comprehend..*

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2012 - Rule Book.pdf

Rule 12, Section 2 Article 7 (b)

If you actually read the rule, there is a note that says that INCIDENTAL contact is not prohibited. *ANd, at best, that is what happened. Incidental contact.

You've given me the same rule book I read, read a piece your deluded mind clicked on, and ignored all the stuff that proved me right. There was contact from Mayo's head/faceguard to the neck area of Doucet who was in a defenceless posture. Fine written all over it.

That was incidental contact? That was a deliberate hit. Incidental contact is when you accidentally run into him, not accidentally hit him from the neck or above :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Clearly, you don't know what you are talking about. The initial contact was with Doucet's SHOULDER. You clearly don't know the difference between a shoulder and the neck.

Do yourself a favor and learn the difference between the body parts before quoting rules you clearly don't understand.

Mayo's hit was TEXTBOOK correct and your ignorance on the subject won't change that fact.

THIS is textbook...

Patriots vs Steelers Patrick Chung big hit - YouTube

You can almost compare this one to basketball and the defender having established "position." Mayo was practically just standing there and barely had to take a step to unload on the receiver. It was a clean, hard hit. There is NO FREAKING WAY he should be fined for it. I hope there's an appeals process for this kind of thing and that Mayo follows through with it.

They didn't fine him for making the hit, or when it occured, they fined him for hitting HIGH.

That's not legal. When Tate runs toward his own end zone like that and approaches Lee from the side, that makes Lee defenseless, so just leading with his helmet is illegal.

I agree any hit at anytime leading with the helmet is illegal, but how can a defender even be 'defenseless'? That makes no sense.

That hit got made illegal in the off-season.

That hit has been illegal for at least 50 years. Its called spearing. If he led with his shoulder,not his head, it would be fine.

Until they start hitting teams with player bans/draft position docking/ win deductions then this stuff really doesn't matter.

Its good that the Patriots D is making players fear going up for the ball or going across the middle - players now know that there is a price to be paid for these catches.

The clip that UK37 shows, with Chung in action, is apples and oranges - Chung has a long time to size up the hit, whereas the Mayo hit is bang/bang - when you have a fraction of a second to react - **** happens.

Until they start hitting teams with player bans/draft position docking/ win deductions then this stuff really doesn't matter.

Its good that the Patriots D is making players fear going up for the ball or going across the middle - players now know that there is a price to be paid for these catches.

The clip that UK37 shows, with Chung in action, is apples and oranges - Chung has a long time to size up the hit, whereas the Mayo hit is bang/bang - when you have a fraction of a second to react - **** happens.

But Mayo didn't have a split second to react. He was covering the receiver.
I'm not ripping the hit, he did his job, if it was a bit too high (which is debatable) for the sake of the fine, oh well.
But to call that correct tackling form is dead wrong. Not that even 20% of the tackles made in the NFL are done the right way, but you cannot defend that as a proper tackle.

That's not legal. When Tate runs toward his own end zone like that and approaches Lee from the side, that makes Lee defenseless, so just leading with his helmet is illegal.

When they refer to running onwards your own end line, thy refer to the one you're defending...therefore that wasn't the issue.

I struggle to see what was wrong with the hit. Initial contact was on the chest plate and Lee should have kept his head on a swivel. Got his head in front. The only dangerous part of that play was him leading with he head...which was more dangerous to himself.

Reading the rules, it looks like they got him on a technicality that he was running to the side which they now constitute as a blind side hit. It ws close...Tate almost got in front and was taking a stride up field...marginal call.

I think that kind of football is fine. IMO I think this was less than a penalty than the Mayo hit.

I agree any hit at anytime leading with the helmet is illegal, but how can a defender even be 'defenseless'? That makes no sense.

If there wasn't that rule, then there'd be no rule against any blocker going head to head on any defender at any time. This just makes it so you can't go helmet to helmet on a defender unless you're running straight at him.

I think it's more applicable on STs (it's the rule that makes this illegal), it's going to happen on broken plays like that on defense, too.

Tate didn't go helmet to helmet. His arms were folded and he went simultaneously with arms to the midsection and the front of his facemask (not the crown of the helmet at all) to the top of the numbers. He then extended his arms to push the defender over.

The defender looked to be shaken up not by the blow from Tate, but from falling on his backside and the back of his helmet bouncing off the turf.

The only reason it was penalized IMO was because it looked bad, and it looked bad because the guy somehow had no clue he was going to get blocked.

If this has been a penalty for 50 years, them every block Hines Ward ever made would have been a penalty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey