PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo fined $21k for hit on Early Doucet

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does the rule say?

The rule book defines a defenceless player as a number of things. One of them is a receiver who hasn't got into stride and had the chance to defend himself. The rules state you can't hit that player from the neck or above however, you can hit him anywhere below that.

If mayo had just tackled the way you're supposed to, then it wouldn't be being discussed.

The Gregory fine was a total joke. Yes he hit him out of bounds but the guy was running for extra yards. He got a penalty. That's where it ends.

Gregory's hit was definitely fine worthy.

Maybe they should play this like 2 hand touch to stop the play. The players can then roll random dice with modifiers based on the relative position and abilities for both payers to make a determination if the receiver drops the ball.

When I saw the hit live, I laughed because it kind of looked like Mayo shoved him down. Don't get this fine, especially not such a big one.

You can almost compare this one to basketball and the defender having established "position." Mayo was practically just standing there and barely had to take a step to unload on the receiver. It was a clean, hard hit. There is NO FREAKING WAY he should be fined for it. I hope there's an appeals process for this kind of thing and that Mayo follows through with it.

Last edited:
UK_Pat37 is absolutely correct, if Mayo would have stayed low and driven through the receiver, no questions asked. The problem is, along with the sensationalistic media, the fact that these are hits that have become ingrained in the NFL defensive landscape. This was a Ronnie Lott type hit that has been glorified since, well, the Ronnie Lott days. Mr. Goodell is trying to retrain a league of aggressive minded defensive players to tackle with your head up,keep your feet on the ground, drive through the ball, and wrap them up.
This is after having them go through a balls to the walls college system that is as crooked as Hitler's chiropractor, where the idea is to hit, hit, and hit some more.

The initial contact was in the neck area of what the new rule book defines as a defenceless receiver. Had he hit him lower, it would have been legal.

You're just a homer. Go read the rules.

While my being called a homer always amuses, being called that doesn't make the hit suddenly not a clean one.

It was a clean hit.

Just Goodell doing what he does best...fining these guys for nothing. Personally if it doesn't get a flag...I see no grounds for a fine.

Word will spread across the league that Mayo is a dirty player and might be put under a microscope by the refs. He needs to challenge this
I want word to spread that Mayo is mean, therefore I like that he's getting fined, fare warning to the rest of the league. I want people to fear him like they fear Lewis and Wills.

So shoulder to shoulder hits are now illegal?

Maybe they should play this like 2 hand touch to stop the play. The players can then roll random dice with modifiers based on the relative position and abilities for both payers to make a determination if the receiver drops the ball.

But then people would whine that the Patriots dice are loaded :D

I wonder if this hit had anything to do with the fine... like Goodell feeling as though he got away with one the first game in his eyes since Nate got hurt on the play.
bilde

Jerod+Mayo+New+England+Patriots+v+Tennessee+hVqRBUxHDltl.jpg

Last edited:
The initial contact was in the neck area of what the new rule book defines as a defenceless receiver. Had he hit him lower, it would have been legal.

Does the rule actually say "neck area"? If so what an absolutely horrible rule...

Mayo should appeal the fine because he'd win. Mayo led with his arms and shoulder and hit Doucet in the shoulder. Any contact with the head (which I still don't believe there was) was incidental at best.

All I'll say is this...tackle the way you're supposed to and this won't happen. I don't like it as much as anyone but you make a rod for your own back. The hit was high enough to be around the neck area of what is deemed a defenceless player by rule. Therefore he got fined.

You can make big hits by tackling the way people teach you from HIGH SCHOOL. Why playes choose to forget this through college and the NFL is beyond me. I mean...what the hell do they teach these guys to make them forget the most basic fundamentals?

Go low and it isn't not a problem...just like you're supposed to. I never teach players I've coached to go that high...ever.

Clearly, you don't know what you are talking about. The initial contact was with Doucet's SHOULDER. You clearly don't know the difference between a shoulder and the neck.

Do yourself a favor and learn the difference between the body parts before quoting rules you clearly don't understand.

Mayo's hit was TEXTBOOK correct and your ignorance on the subject won't change that fact.

Deus isn't a homer. YOU are blind. The initial contact was in the shoulder area, not the neck. Telling others to go read the rules when you clearly don't understand them yourself is the epitome of irony.

BTW, Here is the rulebook for you. Go read it. Let us know everything you don't understand so it can be explained to you in a way you might actually comprehend..

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2012 - Rule Book.pdf

Rule 12, Section 2 Article 7 (b)

If you actually read the rule, there is a note that says that INCIDENTAL contact is not prohibited. ANd, at best, that is what happened. Incidental contact.

Last edited:
UK_Pat37 is absolutely correct, if Mayo would have stayed low and driven through the receiver, no questions asked. The problem is, along with the sensationalistic media, the fact that these are hits that have become ingrained in the NFL defensive landscape. This was a Ronnie Lott type hit that has been glorified since, well, the Ronnie Lott days. Mr. Goodell is trying to retrain a league of aggressive minded defensive players to tackle with your head up,keep your feet on the ground, drive through the ball, and wrap them up.
This is after having them go through a balls to the walls college system that is as crooked as Hitler's chiropractor, where the idea is to hit, hit, and hit some more.

Another person who doesn't know what he's talking about. Mayo did NOT go high. Mayo barely moved. Not to mention that he hit Doucet in the shoulder. SHOULDER. That is BELOW the neck. It's why it wasn't penalized on the field.

And yes, I've watched the play a few times on my DVR. That's how I know that it was the shoulder that Mayo contacted first and not the neck.

League should've fine Kolb for trying to kill his WR.

So shoulder to shoulder hits are now illegal?

It's not the physical hit, Goodell determined that Mayo made helmet to helmet contact with Doucet's pride.

It's a crime that good, clean hits like this get lumped into the same category as hits like Harrisons on McCoy or Meriweather's on Heap. Next time, just set up inconveniently placed rakes all over the field and hope that one of those takes out your receiver, okay Mayo?

This hit actually reminded me of the Ray Lewis hit on Keller. Did Lewis get fined for that one?

That's a bad fine. NFL Rewind shows two slow-motion views, and it looks like either arms to shoulder or arms to chest. That "neck area" must be awfully big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back