PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Jerod Mayo" by Jackie MacMullan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed this article. Mayo had an amazing rookie season, and I can't wait to see how he does with a year of NFL experience, fully (I assume) healed.

On a side note, ***THANK GOD THE SEASON IS FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!***
:D :rocker: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :rocker: :D

*sniff* Stop that.

Yeah, you have to tip your cap to this draft class so far, very impressive. On top of the big four, Pryor and Edelman look like the best late-round finds in a while.

But...even though I liked Chung then and I like him now, and even though reports of his attitude suggest a future field and lockerroom leader...I'd still take Barwin instead, just as I would have on draft day.

Sorry. My Barwinitis is usually in remission, but it flares up every now and again.

I love Pat Chung. I'm very happy with Pat Chung. But I can't wonder if we wouldn't have been better off taking Barwin at 34 and Chip Vaughn in the late 3rd/early 4th round (he went 115 to New Orleans, and is currently on IR with a minor injury, despite claiming that he was recovering quickly and would be ready to play).

Mayo is going to better as time go on.Vets are really high on him.The sky is the limit for 51.GO PATS!!!!

Now, if only we had managed to somehow snag Connor Barwin too. Sigh.

You're STILL talking about Barwin?

I know you love Vrabel and think Barwin is a Vrabel clone, but all the hype over Barwin is completely ridiculous; the guy is going to be a non-factor in this league. He's a workout warrior with little experience, the LB version of Ben Watson.

What a great article. Love this kid!! He is the future of our D -- and I couldn't be happier. Hope Guyton follows his example.

Great article, but:

The injury not only lingered, it worsened every time he made contact with another football player, which was at least a couple dozen times a day.

Although he was in his first year in the NFL, Mayo knew what was expected. He played on, even though he couldn’t raise his arm above his head, even when the pain was so intense he knew he needed surgery. All the while, there was no mention of his shoulder on the team’s injury report.

fine coming?

And this part surprises me:

The rookie’s respite lasted only seconds before coach Bill Belichick pulled off his headset and called out, “Mayo! Let’s go. Special teams.’’ Mayo jammed his helmet back on, steeling himself for another round of jarring hits. As he sprinted onto the field, Vrabel’s urgent voice stopped him in his tracks. “No!’’ Vrabel barked at Belichick. “Put someone else in for Mayo.’’

Later, when the rookie replayed the scene in his head, he couldn’t decide what was more stunning: that Vrabel overruled the coach or that Belichick actually listened and subbed in another player.

Last edited:
And this part surprises me:

As I said upthread, it doesn't surprise me.

Vrabel knew (A) he could do it, and (B) it would help the team and Mayo in the long run.

Ahhh the real reason Vrabel got traded.

just wait now for media to ignore the actual article and ask why mayo was not on the injury report ..

Interestingly enough, the injury report rules don't require you to report an injury. Earlier in the week they require you to report whether someone missed all or part of practice due to an injury. Later in the week they require you to report someone who may not play that week due to an injury.

Mayo never fell into either of those categories - probably because BB didn't want to advertise his injury to other teams.

What I find amazing is that the seasoned veterans were telling him it's his defense. Wow.

To the critics of the Globe and its business model (charging for content): please remember this article the next time you get out your pen. This kind of journalism simply doesn't exist in an all-internet, all free content world. If we want stuff like this, we need to pay the people who create it.

Be interesting to see what Barwin does. Reminds me of the guy from N. Michigan or something Jason Babin...did nothing.

I dno't like MacMullen at all. Heard her on a talk show and she's just a harpy.

I don't understand how you play linebacker with an arm you can't lift over your head. I know "tough it up" or something, what did he have? Torn rotator cuff? Torn muscle? Not sure how one "toughs" it out when you are functionally disabled and in a lot of pain...plus you might make the situation worse.

To the critics of the Globe and its business model (charging for content): please remember this article the next time you get out your pen. This kind of journalism simply doesn't exist in an all-internet, all free content world. If we want stuff like this, we need to pay the people who create it.

It's not as if it comes very often in the Globe, either.

MacMullan writes about once every three months for them.

Anyone who would pay for the Globe gets 25 Tony "What's a First Down?" Masserotti columns for every Jackie Mac piece.

Last edited:
Great read, I can't wait to see how Mayo has progressed this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots