PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Jerod Mayo" by Jackie MacMullan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I understand it, Vrabel was the only player who had that kind of pull with BB, or, at the very least, the player with the most pull.

Any way you look at it, it's amazing for a player to get that kind of respect from a coach, and speaks volumes about both Vrabes and BB. Tom Cable probably would have thrown a punch at Vrabel for suggesting such a thing. :D

I may be wrong, but I just have good vibes about this defense, with Mayo the glue that holds it all together. I think we'll see some nice things from Brace, Burgess, AD, Guyton, and Meriweather this year, and Butler and Chung will be nipping at their heels before long. I'll always revere what Bruschi, Vrabel and Harrison brought to this team, but I'm excited to see how the young dogs develop.

Now, if only we had managed to somehow snag Connor Barwin too. Sigh.

Sigh is right.

Seriously, if they saw themselves moving away from the 3-4 and more towards a 4-3, wouldn't he have made even more sense? :confused:

Sigh is right.

Seriously, if they saw themselves moving away from the 3-4 and more towards a 4-3, wouldn't he have made even more sense? :confused:

Yes.

However, I could also make an argument that Ron Brace's development and promise was a major factor in enabling the Seymour trade. In which case you could argue that we started with #23, 34, 47 and 58 and ended up with 4 probably starters and possible future stars in Chung, Brace, Butler and Vollmer, plus 2 extra number 2's in 2010, plus an extra (possibly top 10) 2011 1st round pick for Seymour. Plus Brandon Tate, who might have been a 1st round pick (at least a likely 1st day pick) if he hadn't injured his ACL. Amazing.

Yeah, if I had to grade the draft now, prior to the season, I'd call it great. Now we wait 30ish hours to see...

Yes.

However, I could also make an argument that Ron Brace's development and promise was a major factor in enabling the Seymour trade. In which case you could argue that we started with #23, 34, 47 and 58 and ended up with 4 probably starters and possible future stars in Chung, Brace, Butler and Vollmer, plus 2 extra number 2's in 2010, plus an extra (possibly top 10) 2011 1st round pick for Seymour. Plus Brandon Tate, who might have been a 1st round pick (at least a likely 1st day pick) if he hadn't injured his ACL. Amazing.

Plus Brandon Tate, who might have been a 1st round pick (at least a likely 1st day pick) if he hadn't injured his ACL. Amazing.

It also didn't help that he had a (+) by his name. . . .

Excellent sports journalism! Definitely makes you miss Vrabes. I think he still has a year or two left in the tank. Mayo will end up being one of the great ones. Wonderful kid!

I ain't gonna lie......... That article makes my leg tinkle like Chris Matthews. :eek:

Vinegar will get the smell out. I assume that you meant tingle.

Agreed, great article. The fact that he wasn't on the injury list despite his shoulder injury stuck out to me too. Waiting for the other shoe to drop on that one.

The fact that he wasn't on the injury list despite his shoulder injury stuck out to me too. Waiting for the other shoe to drop on that one.

Isn't that because the article also states he never pressed his status with the team on the shoulder and therefore was likely never limited in practice.

*sniff* Stop that.

Yeah, you have to tip your cap to this draft class so far, very impressive. On top of the big four, Pryor and Edelman look like the best late-round finds in a while.

But...even though I liked Chung then and I like him now, and even though reports of his attitude suggest a future field and lockerroom leader...I'd still take Barwin instead, just as I would have on draft day.

Great Article, thanks for posting!

*sniff* Stop that.

But...even though I liked Chung then and I like him now, and even though reports of his attitude suggest a future field and lockerroom leader...I'd still take Barwin instead, just as I would have on draft day.

Amen.

Yeah, you have to tip your cap to this draft class so far, very impressive. On top of the big four, Pryor and Edelman look like the best late-round finds in a while.

Since, I dunno. . . .
matt-cassel.jpg

Big hopes for Hoyer too. Liked BB's little tip of the cap to him in the locker room after the Oakland game (as seen on all-access).

Any way you look at it, it's amazing for a player to get that kind of respect from a coach, and speaks volumes about both Vrabes and BB. Tom Cable probably would have thrown a punch at Vrabel for suggesting such a thing. :D

I may be wrong, but I just have good vibes about this defense, with Mayo the glue that holds it all together. I think we'll see some nice things from Brace, Burgess, AD, Guyton, and Meriweather this year, and Butler and Chung will be nipping at their heels before long. I'll always revere what Bruschi, Vrabel and Harrison brought to this team, but I'm excited to see how the young dogs develop.

Normally I come from the school of 'prove it to me and I will believe the hype' but this whole defense is my binkie this year, and I am not one to have binkies ever since Klecko left town. :D

I thought the pastriots weren't supposed to talk to members of the press? They get a pass because they're retired (some of them)...mayo isn't though so he shouldn't have said anything.

I don't like MacMullen.

Great article. The combination of the skills and attitude is breathtaking.

I always thought Mayo was the whole package at WILB - size, speed, smart, savvy, great attitude, good instincts. I think he emerges this year as a perennial All Pro ILB/MLB for the AFC.

I also thought it was intereting that Bruschi gave credit to James Sanders for being a really hard worker and film student.

James Sanders has always been a hard worker. He is not as naturally gifted as others but his work ethic frequently gets overlooked. Our superbowl defenses were all based on blue collar guys that worked hard.

Isn't that because the article also states he never pressed his status with the team on the shoulder and therefore was likely never limited in practice.

I'm not saying that anyone should make a big deal about it but I suspect that one or more of the Patriots haters will...particularly given the recent Favre/Jets articles.

i dont have to say how good this article is....its quite apparent by everyone else's remarks....

however, i wanna point this out:

"“He was just so fast,’’ Harrison said. “I hadn’t seen anyone play linebacker like that since Ray Lewis.’’"

its one thing when a media guy or a fan compares mayo to lewis....but harrison doing it? man ohhh man, mayo has something to live up to....

also the part about Vrabel.....im sure BB knew there was a reason for saying put someone else in there, but its just not something i expected to hear a player would say to BB, the most respected coach in the NFL....

most interesting tidbit is the injury....i cant believe that he was injured so early, and yet it wasn't even a question if he would play.....if he was injured last year, i wanna see this kid play a season without an injury.....what would he do then?

The part when Vrabes was quoted, "I'm with you" gave me chills. I'm such a dork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back