PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Jerod Mayo" by Jackie MacMullan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrific background on 51 and how the guys around him came to respect him. Nice way to begin the season and some added emphasis to keep an eye on someone who could go on to be a great, great player.

I ain't gonna lie......... That article makes my leg tinkle like Chris Matthews. :eek:

I remember after that Jets game, my friend, a jets fan, text me simply saying:

'Great game, that Mayo kid is a f**king beast'

That game opened up the leagues eyes to him.

I also like the fact that he thought his injury wasn't an excuse for sub par play, now that is someone who loves what he does, and has heart!

WOW, great article, makes me psyched to see Mayo's improvement, I loved watching him last year, and remember being amazed during that Pats/Jets game.. I just got a Mayo jersey too !

Such a good article! Ugh. Is it Monday yet?

Great article. The combination of the skills and attitude is breathtaking.

I always thought Mayo was the whole package at WILB - size, speed, smart, savvy, great attitude, good instincts. I think he emerges this year as a perennial All Pro ILB/MLB for the AFC.

I also thought it was intereting that Bruschi gave credit to James Sanders for being a really hard worker and film student.

Remember when reading the sports section of the Sunday Globe , for me at least, was pure pleasure. When I lived in NYC in the 80's, I would have the Sunday Globe delivered to my apartment and I would just dissect every word and stat. This was a time when the columnists actually enjoyed sports and didn't care about sensationalizing. Reading Jackie's article made me remember how the Globe used to be the best at its craft. This style of reporting is what newspapers need to get back to. Provide a compelling story without editorializing.
Sure, it helps that former players are able to open up without fear of BIG BROTHER. With Rodney and Teddy now mainstream media guys, we Pats fans should be in for a treat with new insight into this team.

You love the guy's attitude as much as anything else. A player you are happy to root for.

Good article about Seau in the Globe today too. Damn I wish he had played his career with the Pats

Great article. It's awesome to see such motivation and hard work from a young guy. Can't wait to watch him this season.

I remember after that Jets game, my friend, a jets fan, text me simply saying:

'Great game, that Mayo kid is a f**king beast'

That game opened up the leagues eyes to him.

I also like the fact that he thought his injury wasn't an excuse for sub par play, now that is someone who loves what he does, and has heart!

The one description of Jerod's performance that night that always stays with me was Peter King's in his MMQB column - he described it as a 60 minute audition for DROTY.

An absolutely stunning article, full marks to Jackie Mac.

Great article. If this kid stays healthy.....

Great stuff on Vrabes too:

"The rookie’s respite lasted only seconds before coach Bill Belichick pulled off his headset and called out, “Mayo! Let’s go. Special teams.’’ Mayo jammed his helmet back on, steeling himself for another round of jarring hits. As he sprinted onto the field, Vrabel’s urgent voice stopped him in his tracks. “No!’’ Vrabel barked at Belichick. “Put someone else in for Mayo.’’

Later, when the rookie replayed the scene in his head, he couldn’t decide what was more stunning: that Vrabel overruled the coach or that Belichick actually listened and subbed in another player."

I'm gonna miss that guy :(

Great article. If this kid stays healthy.....

Great stuff on Vrabes too:

"The rookie’s respite lasted only seconds before coach Bill Belichick pulled off his headset and called out, “Mayo! Let’s go. Special teams.’’ Mayo jammed his helmet back on, steeling himself for another round of jarring hits. As he sprinted onto the field, Vrabel’s urgent voice stopped him in his tracks. “No!’’ Vrabel barked at Belichick. “Put someone else in for Mayo.’’

Later, when the rookie replayed the scene in his head, he couldn’t decide what was more stunning: that Vrabel overruled the coach or that Belichick actually listened and subbed in another player."

I'm gonna miss that guy :(

That was an amazing story, and speaks for the caliber of veteran leadership we had, and the respect that they got from BB.

We'll all miss Vrabel, Tedy and Rodney. Big shoes for the younguns to fill.

Wasn't it Easterbrook from ESPN.com that said Mayo was the most overrated rookie in the NFL last year....nice Job....apparently he went to the same player evaluation school as Borges...who still maintains his love for David Terrell

awesome piece. Thanks for posting!

Wow. Mike Vrabel on Mayo:

"His passion for the game made you want to pick up your own game a notch."

Seriously, everybody, read this article. It's one of the best football profiles of a football player I've read.

That was an amazing story, and speaks for the caliber of veteran leadership we had, and the respect that they got from BB.

We'll all miss Vrabel, Tedy and Rodney. Big shoes for the younguns to fill.

If you are trying to seed a great locker room, I can't think of anyone better than Vrabes to do it. That said, I think Mayo's can fill some of those shoes. It's really weird, retiring Vrabes and Bruschi's Jersey's the same year I got Mayo's.

The way I understand it, Vrabel was the only player who had that kind of pull with BB, or, at the very least, the player with the most pull.

just wait now for media to ignore the actual article and ask why mayo was not on the injury report ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back