PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jermichael Finley may affect how the Pats deal with Hernandez in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like the Packers may end up franchising Jermichael Finley. If they do, he is expected to file a grievance with the league to get himself classified as a WR rather than a TE because he lines up in the slot and outside more than he does in a traditional TE position.

This is significant to the Pats because the Pats use Aaron Hernadez pretty much in the same way. If an arbitrator determines that Finley is classified as a WR and gets that franchise tender, it will mean that Hernandez will likely get that same classification. That means that not only would Hernandez be franchised at a much higher tender, but he might seek WR dollars rather than TE dollars.

I know this is two years away and we have far more important things to think about this weekend, but it is an issue that the Pats are likely to keep a close eye on over the next month.

Packers' Finley still in waiting - JSOnline

Should be interesting if he wins. I see Hernandez as a receiver. He's not really a TE. Just a tremendous receiver. I'm glad the new tv contract kicks in for that 2014 season. Because, Chico and The Man(Gronk...and I'm showing my age) are going to command a lot of money. Especially, since they have only been getting paid as 2nd and 4th rounders. Not going to be any hometown discount.

So what, it is only money......

I think the NFl has shown in the last couple years that they will find ways to make pee-poor cap management irrelevant. (cap free year; jesters debt forgiveness etc. etc.)

While I used to admired BB's superb cap management and assumed it would be a key component of buildiing a long dynasty; it didnt work out that way. We all liked to make fun of the Dolts, jesters etc who were blowing out the cap and wasting too much of it on prima donna marquee players. In the end they didn't get hurt as bad as they should have due to NFL-league under Goodell essentially breaking all the promises of fair handed play when it comes to the finance side.

I think there will be room to reward him within the cap structure either as a TE or a WR. And if he is performing as he is; or even more like Gronk in 2-years... just amortize his cost per TD and it will make you feel a lot better.

Also I think BB has been looking for this 2 TE set for over 10 years; look at how many he kept drafting back in the Graham days. I dont think he would feel bound by the avg TE salary across the league to pay a top performer and keep his dream attack in place.

He will set his own pay mark of what a TE is worth at that position and what Pats are willing to pay. Everyone makes lots of noise about those guys who the Pats $ limit is under what they think they are woth (Hello WRs); but nobody talks about when BB is willing to pay MORE THAN what other teams would - VETS in particular, some DL, and the guys at 40-63 of the depth chart. ( How many PS players for Pats have made MORE than some 1st year starters on other teams?? I think I recall more than 2. )

i dont think he has a chance at this

if he didn't want to be a TE, he should have changed his position LONG ago

Don't fall in love with Hernandez too much cause the Pats won't be able to keep both when its pay day.

Terrell Suggs had this happen with being tagged as an OLB vs DE a few years back. I believe the Ravens and Suggs split the difference on the two tags while they worked on a long term deal. There's a much bigger difference between WR to TE than DE to OLB. I believe at the time DE to OLB was about 3M different and TE to WR now if probably double that. Don't quote my numbers this is all off of memory.

There is a major problem with Finley claiming that, by lining up in the slot, he's lining up as a WR. The slot is an area that TEs have lined up in on a regular basis. Tony Gonzalez and Antonia Gates have made careers out of doing it. The fact is that lining up in the slot is a normal area for a TE. He's going to have to prove that he lines up MORE outside than he does in the slot on next to the OT.

It won't affect Hernandez because he also lines up more on the line than he does outside. And the fact that he lines up in the backfield dilutes the stats..

Don't fall in love with Hernandez too much cause the Pats won't be able to keep both when its pay day.

We should be able to. Look at other teams, they have star players signed over and over the years, we too often let good players leave because of money.

We should be able to. Look at other teams, they have star players signed over and over the years, we too often let good players leave because of money.

Who do you have in mind?

The usual candidates are Deion Branch, Richard Seymour, Asante Samuel, and Jabar Gaffney.

Anybody else? David Givens? Lonie Paxton? Mike Vrabel? Ty Warren? Lawyer Milloy?

Or is it just some of the first four?

Last edited:
Hernandez = H back?

What good players did we let go because of money, excluding those that were past their prime?

I agree with the felgerism "cap is crap." The Pats keep who they want to keep. We can say they can't afford to keep both but one thing they have shown is that if they want to keep someone they get it done.

Mankins was a great example. They identified him as a player they were going to keep. Even with all the crap they went through with him.

It looks like the Packers may end up franchising Jermichael Finley. If they do, he is expected to file a grievance with the league to get himself classified as a WR rather than a TE because he lines up in the slot and outside more than he does in a traditional TE position.

This is significant to the Pats because the Pats use Aaron Hernadez pretty much in the same way. If an arbitrator determines that Finley is classified as a WR and gets that franchise tender, it will mean that Hernandez will likely get that same classification. That means that not only would Hernandez be franchised at a much higher tender, but he might seek WR dollars rather than TE dollars.

I know this is two years away and we have far more important things to think about this weekend, but it is an issue that the Pats are likely to keep a close eye on over the next month.

Packers' Finley still in waiting - JSOnline

And now that they're using him as a RB too.... His situation is definitely curious, but this can't be the first time this issue has arisen? Has this not already been addressed to some degree w/ a Dallas Clark or someone else?

P.S. Now this is the Rob I remember - great info, great informative thread in a myraid of shat. Stay away from those "I'm a better fan than you because I'm a half full & you're a half empty person" arguments, they're so fu--ing boring.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this a lot, and I strongly believe Belichick will do what it takes to keep both Hernandez and Gronkowski in New England for a 2nd contract.

The cap is going up thanks to the new TV contracts, the franchise tag will be available, and the two of them mean everything to this offense.

The only thing that could change between now and then is Belichick finding another player similar to Hernandez in the draft, but I would be surprised if that happens. We all know there isn't going to be another Gronkowski.

So what, it is only money......

I think the NFl has shown in the last couple years that they will find ways to make pee-poor cap management irrelevant. (cap free year; jesters debt forgiveness etc. etc.)

While I used to admired BB's superb cap management and assumed it would be a key component of buildiing a long dynasty; it didnt work out that way. We all liked to make fun of the Dolts, jesters etc who were blowing out the cap and wasting too much of it on prima donna marquee players. In the end they didn't get hurt as bad as they should have due to NFL-league under Goodell essentially breaking all the promises of fair handed play when it comes to the finance side.

You think Goodell would bend the rules to help us if we got in cap hell!?

I sure don't! Fair and balanced he ain't.

I think the Patriots will let Hernandez walk and sign Gronk to the largest TE deal in history.

Deion Branch and Asante Samuel.

The Pats didn't let Deion Branch go. It's amazing how people try to re-write history. The Pats tried on 3 separate occasions to get Branch signed to a deal before his final season. He then proceeded to lie to everyone saying that he was a man of his word and he'd play out his contract. Less than 3 weeks after the draft, where the Pats could have added someone, Branch reneges on his deal and decides to hold out. Then, he didn't bother to actually try to negotiate with the Pats. He shot his way out of town.

As for Samuel, he wasn't worth the money that would have been required to keep him. And I believe that he's proven that during his time in Philly.

But it dont want herndandez to go...:(

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I strongly believe Belichick will do what it takes to keep both Hernandez and Gronkowski in New England for a 2nd contract.

The cap is going up thanks to the new TV contracts, the franchise tag will be available, and the two of them mean everything to this offense.

The only thing that could change between now and then is Belichick finding another player similar to Hernandez in the draft, but I would be surprised if that happens. We all know there isn't going to be another Gronkowski.

If anything we're going to try hard to find another similar TE. We all see how much these two TEs mean to our offense. And we don't have a backup?

We need one more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye