PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jermichael Finley "Gronk and Graham have to show me more"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the talk is cheap. I think these guys are just saying they want to get better and be the best. Every player (and heck people in general) should not accept mediocracy as a goal.

And they point out to our guys as being the top, that's a tip of the hat to our duo which pretty states that they are recognized as beign a top tight end tandem and this will only be their 3rd season.

That's a reasonable way of looking at it. Thanks.

Doesn't it seem like it's always NE setting some kind of trend? It seems like they're always innovating and finding different ways to beat you and then the rest of the league just copies it the next season. I know the NFL is the copycat league, but it seems like it's always NE that's being copied.

Anytime you have one of the best organizations and the best coaching minds in the league, you're going to be copied. It was the same with the 49ers under Bill Walsh. BB does his share of looking at what other teams do and incorporating some of their ideas - there have been suggestions that he has been influenced by the Ravens and Giants on defense and the Saints on offense, for example. But in general, as famous Mike Lombardi quote emphasizes, BB and the Pats are successful because they anticipate change, rather than react to it. So they are usually ahead of the curve.

The other important point is the relationship between scheme and personnel. It's easy to say that having a Gronk and Hernandez at TE creates nightmares for opposing teams. It's a lot less easy to go out and find a Gronk and Hernandez to plug into your team. We've seen some of this with the defensive scheme switches - schemes work a lot better when you have the right personnel, and any scheme works better when you have talent.

The other important point is the relationship between scheme and personnel. It's easy to say that having a Gronk and Hernandez at TE creates nightmares for opposing teams. It's a lot less easy to go out and find a Gronk and Hernandez to plug into your team. We've seen some of this with the defensive scheme switches - schemes work a lot better when you have the right personnel, and any scheme works better when you have talent.

And the amazing thing is it's good luck that Hernandez fell to the Pats in the fourth round, and the Ratbirds didn't move up to grab him. . . .

And the amazing thing is it's good luck that Hernandez fell to the Pats in the fourth round, and the Ratbirds didn't move up to grab him. . . .

Yup. The Pats have had some nice luck, and picked up some potential studs at a discount. Hernandez alone is worth a bunch of failed picks. I still have high expectations of Marcus Cannon, and Ryan Mallett could be a great value pick. And Alfonzo Dennard this year. Again, even if all the other guys flop, hitting on one guy like Hernandez in the 4th round is an coup of epic proportions.

Anytime you have one of the best organizations and the best coaching minds in the league, you're going to be copied. It was the same with the 49ers under Bill Walsh. BB does his share of looking at what other teams do and incorporating some of their ideas - there have been suggestions that he has been influenced by the Ravens and Giants on defense and the Saints on offense, for example. But in general, as famous Mike Lombardi quote emphasizes, BB and the Pats are successful because they anticipate change, rather than react to it. So they are usually ahead of the curve.

This is the truth. The Patriots have arguably the most talented TE duo in NFL history to go along with one of the best quarterbacks of all-time in his prime. Teams can try the TE-offense all they want, but it will only benefit them if they are utilizing two of their best offensive weapons. The Patriots didn't go into this saying "we are going to re-create the two TE-offense". They are just using their personnel to their advantage, with two of their best playmakers being tight ends (although Hernandez is not even a complete tight end and is more of WR/TE hybrid.)

Personally, if I were building a team from scratch and needed to find players to fit a scheme, rather than the other way around, I'd target good receivers. I think a 4 WR offense is easier to build because there are tons of great WRs around the league and most teams don't have 3-4 cornerbacks that can match up. TEs are very hard to find, especially those that can block and catch. TEs like Gronk, well, he's really one of a kind right now, and the only past TEs similar I can remember are Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates (in their primes). As for Hernandez, I'm not sure of many TEs that are faster than most receivers but still big enough to hold their ground. Point being, both Gronk and Hernandez don't really have any equals in exactly what they add to an offense.

Last edited:
This is the truth. The Patriots have arguably the most talented TE duo in NFL history to go along with one of the best quarterbacks of all-time in his prime. Teams can try the TE-offense all they want, but it will only benefit them if they are utilizing two of their best offensive weapons. The Patriots didn't go into this saying "we are going to re-create the two TE-offense". They are just using their personnel to their advantage, with two of their best playmakers being tight ends (although Hernandez is not even a complete tight end and is more of WR/TE hybrid.)

Personally, if I were building a team from scratch and needed to find players to fit a scheme, rather than the other way around, I'd target good receivers. I think a 4 WR offense is easier to build because there are tons of great WRs around the league and most teams don't have 3-4 cornerbacks that can match up. TEs are very hard to find, especially those that can block and catch. TEs like Gronk, well, he's really one of a kind right now, and the only past TEs similar I can remember are Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates (in their primes). As for Hernandez, I'm not sure of many TEs that are faster than most receivers but still big enough to hold their ground. Point being, both Gronk and Hernandez don't really have any equals in exactly what they add to an offense.

Wait till you get a load of Daniel Fells - - -the best #3 tight end in the NFL.

The Patriots are L.O.A.D.E.D.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes