PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jermaine Cunningham - BUST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hughes and Graham weren't passed over to take cunningham anyway, they were GONE by that time.

I don't think there's anything special about Hughes...played in a crap conference and isn't that big or strong...big deal. Graham is too short for us too.

I don't think cunningham is necessarily perfect but he's probably pretty good...i'll defer judgement for now.

I suggest you google "Jermaine Cunningham arrested" and see what appears. I know that the incident occured 2-1/2 years ago, but to state that he doesn't come with questions about character concerns is disingenuous.

During my google search, I came upon this link to an earlier thread about him:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...27806-jermaine-cunningham-olb-conversion.html

We expected him to be drafted in the 3rd/4th range, and Bill foolishly over-drafts him with the 53RD OVERALL EFFING PICK? Disgraceful.

He got into an argument and threw a sandwich at someone. Dunlap got arrested for DUI the week of the biggest game of his career. Could you imagine McGinest or Vrabel getting arrested for DUI the week leading up the SB?

Last edited:
Mark my words - Brandon Graham will become a Pro Bowler, and possibly the best Defensive Player taken in the first round besides Suh.

We shouldve given up our first and one of our 2nds to move up and pick him. We're really only a good OLB away from having a great defense. Graham is also a LEADER. Something our defense sorely lacks. Instead we got a little CB and an underrated (ie. non-vocal people are underrated) OLB. Luckily we also took Spikes who I fully expect to start next to Mayo and add some needed leadership.

We couldve even traded next years first. We have so many picks we could have easily moved up while still keeping our 1st rounder this year.

We're in a position to win now. Belichicks arrogance will be our downfall.

And so what if BB had Cunnigham rated higher than ____ ? He also had Maroney rated higher than DeAngelo Williams, and Chad Jackson higher than Greg Jennings.

Mark my words - Brandon Graham will become a Pro Bowler, and possibly the best Defensive Player taken in the first round besides Suh.

We shouldve given up our first and one of our 2nds to move up and pick him. We're really only a good OLB away from having a great defense. Graham is also a LEADER. Something our defense sorely lacks. Instead we got a little CB and an underrated (ie. non-vocal people are underrated) OLB. Luckily we also took Spikes who I fully expect to start next to Mayo and add some needed leadership.

We couldve even traded next years first. We have so many picks we could have easily moved up while still keeping our 1st rounder this year.

And so what if BB had Cunnigham rated higher than ____ ? He also had Maroney rated higher than DeAngelo Williams, and Chad Jackson higher than Greg Jennings.

Whew: I don't know where to start.

The arrogance thing is something that WEEI's D & C cooked up to try to gin up something bad about BB. The weak minded among us actually believe it.

How can you say that your player evaluation (based on a drugstore draft guide) is better BB's? That is arrogance.

Trading up that high in this draft was a bad move because the contracts will be astronomical and the dept was so great later in the draft.

I like Graham a lot, plus I'm a big Michigan guy, so I would have loved to see this happen.

But if we're giving up our first and second to trade up for Graham, you should also include what we got from using those picks to trade down, either the 3rd rounder we used on Taylor Price or the 2nd rounder from Carolina next year. That's a lot to give up for a player who isn't guaranteed to be better than Cunningham.

Graham's a leader, yes. But so are 5 of the other captains we drafted.

And sure, we could trade up next year's picks to get someone this year. But I'm glad we don't mortgage the future. Ask Panther fans how happy they are about that.

I think Graham will be a good player, though I didn't think he'd really fit in here because of his size. But would you really take Graham over a combo of McCourty+Gronk or Cunningham or Spikes (we'd lose one of these)+Taylor Price or 2nd round pick next season?

Watching that you tube video painful. Cunningham and Spikes are so freaking SLOW.

What was BB thinking?

Watching that you tube video painful. Cunningham and Spikes are so freaking SLOW.

What was BB thinking?

The Miss. St. game is a horrible game if you want to evaluate Spikes, and in particular Cunningham. Miss St. is almost exclusively an option team. Against the option, DEs and LBs have to play much differently than they would vs. more conventional offenses. DEs will often have "Quarterback" (Safeties or OLBs have "QB to pitch"), and CBs have the "pitch back") meaning their job vs. option action to their side is to just hit the QB, whether he has the ball or not. So if you Cunningham looks like he has poor instincts, he actually just doing his job. This far different than what Florida and the Patriots often play, where your job to maintain your gap/edge, read & react to the play, and then make the play. Against action away, you can't pursue as hard in pursuit as a DE/OLB normally would because one of the staples of the option game is the reverse off option action. Against the triple option, ILBs like Spikes often have "fullback" meaning their job is to just hit the leadback/fullback whether he has the ball or not.

Jesus, this thread. No wonder MayoClinic split.

most of these plays weren't going in his direction which means they probably gameplanned against him and were not to worried about dunlap

YouTube - Jermaine Cunningham highlights Florida vs Mississippi State

Pats will seriously regret passing on Jerry Hughes and not trading up to get Graham.

Another draft, another year without the OLB we need.

Well here is a hi-light with him at #1

YouTube - Lott Shots top-5 hits from Week 9

Very nice textbook rush using a great takeoff, using some sick little hand move and turning the corner on a dime and laying a explosive hit (which most QB's would fumble away).

The link you posted was defensive cut-ups on a game where they were scheming alot of plays away from him.....at Dunlop actually. I did see some great things in there but some things he has to work on. Considering he just got drafted I think BB and company are going to be able to get some great production out of this guy right away.

Like many people on this board, you fail to realize that players like Graham and Hughes are too short for our two-gap 3-4 scheme, which requires taller, longer OLBs to set the edge in the run game. This is why BB has often spoken in the past about finding the 6'3-6'5 guys who run in the 4.6 range (Cunnigham: 6'3 266 lbs 4.68 40). Hughes and Graham both went to one-gap 4-3 teams. You obviously are too dumb or lazy to realize that successful scouting in the NFL is scheme specific. That or someone is just a wittle cwanky because they didn't get there binkies. wa wa wa.

So why pass up on Dunlop at 6'6"?

Last edited:

Maybe BB is tired of drafting guys with those measurables because we have not been able to get production out of the ones we have on our roster. Crable and Woods are just not producing enough to be starters and TBC was our most productive OLB last year at 6' 2. Maybe he has changed his mind on what measurable he is looking for at OLB.

Well for one 6'6 277lbs is not a 3-4 OLB, he is a 4-3 DE. Period.
Along with his inconsistant motor, work ethic questions and maturity problems.

Equals,

Not even on their draft board.:rolleyes:

What was BB thinking?

You answered your own question. You're evaluating players from a youtube clip. Bill has a complete and thorough scouting system at his disposal.

Last edited:
to be fair to the kid it was one game were it looks like he was on the field a lot cause the DB's did not cover at all.

and u can't call someone a bust if he has never played a down in the NFL it takes 3 years to see what a player realy is

Brandon Meriweather, he's rookie season started 0 games and did not play much at all year 2 started 11 gams and had a good year. he's 3rd season he was all pro. give it time

17025664fc60fefc0fa4a313fb6db08f5cac4e4.gif

Hughes would not have been a fit in our system.

Last edited:
I watched Cunningham in several games - the last couple years, because of the Patriots need, when watching college football I usually end up concentrating on the pass rushers if they are thought to have pro potential. Usually, I'm foolishly optimistic about Patriots' draft choices, even the ones I wasn't impressed with in college, but, I'm afraid, in Cunningham's case, I can find no basis for optimism. I hope I'm wrong, but based on what I saw, I'll be very surprised if he ever becomes even an average starter in the league. Whether it's his pass rush moves (or lack thereof), his ability to hold the edge (or lack thereof), or his effort (or lack thereof), he grades poorly (to me) in all categories.

Definitely, in all my years of following Patriots' drafts (and I can remember playing hooky from high school to listen to the Hannah, Cunningham, Stingley draft on the radio) this was one of their most perplexing and disappointing picks. The good news is, I've been wrong before.

I have to agree with the people against Jermaine. I have now watched about 11 game films of Jermain, and I REALLY don't like what I see. He has very good burst, but he gets hammered against the run and doesn't seem to have the lower body strength to hold up. Graham will dominate at some point in his career, but he was never an option because he was going to go too high. I think we would have had to give up too much to get him.

I have the opposite problem with McCourty. He looks very good on film, but has one twin brother, barring injury, in any sport, completely surpassed another? Please let me know if anyone can think of an example (PLEASE, I so want to be wrong about this). Jason (Devin's twin brother) is not a very good pro. He was a sixth round pick in an average draft. What makes his twin a 1st rounder in the deepest draft in 5 years? Couldn't you just trade for his brother and coach him up? On the flip side, I do love most of the other picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes