Welcome to PatsFans.com

Jeremy Jarmon

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by WhiZa, Jun 15, 2009.

1. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

He's an interesting case. Supplemental draft players usually have a lot of blemishes, but Jarmon is by all accounts an exemplary student-athlete and a team leader admired by his coaching staff. (He lost his eligibility by taking an OTC weight-loss supplement for a couple of weeks, foolishly not checking the approved list.)

Oddly, I've seen different analysts say that his future lies as a 3-4 OLB, and as a 3-4 DE! That must make him a 4-3 DE, right? ;)

3. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

pretty much! If he's trying to lose weight, maybe he can make it as an OLB.

4. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +498 / 43 / -48

#50 Jersey

Why would he have to lose weight? McGinest played in the 275-285 range as an OLB. Thomas plays at 270 now.

He would be an interesting pick. Especially since the Pats have extra picks in earlier rounds next year.

5. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

If he's trying to lose weight it may be an attempt to get back to his R/Sophomore weight of 268 - that ten pounds may have been the difference between his 13.5 TFL and 9 sacks then, vice 10 TFL and 4.5 sacks last season. He's reading more like a 4-3 DE who might work out as a 3-4 DE once he bulks up.

6. pats_premi

pats_premi On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Assuming that Jeremy Jarmon meets BB's cateria of OLB (6'4, 250+, 4.6). Is he worth investing 2010 - 6th round pick to fill a need ? It appears that most rookie OLB's in the Patriots system need at least one year to develop before they can contribute.

7. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +132 / 4 / -0

If he is - and I'm not considering myself qualified to make that judgment - I would say absolutely. Any pick we make after round 4 is a crapshoot to make our squad, so I'm all for taking fliers on guys.

The only thing is the roster is packed as it is - is there room for another youngster at OLB? You can only carry so many players who are projects and are unlikely to contribute in 2009. I'd need to know that at least one of Crable/Redd is going to make an impact this year before I added a guy like Jarmon to the roster.

8. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +498 / 43 / -48

#50 Jersey

Jarmon is a solid 6'3. He's meets the 250+ and dropping from 278 to the mid 260's should help get his speed to the 4.6 range. What I like about Jarmon is that he knows to get his hands up into the passing lanes. I think that he may have longer than normal arms (haven't been able to confirm this) and that could make up for the 1 inch in height.

While Jarmon could take a year to develop, even the use of a 4th round pick could be worth it, imho. Especially with Thomas aging and no other help at OLB in the wings beyond Crable.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  9. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I think this is a bit pessimistic. BB has been unusually complimentary this Spring when discussing Woods, Crable, and Redd, not to exclude Guyton whom I still expect to crosstrain at OLB even though he's a primary ILB. I'm prepared to give it another season before I panic.

10. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hear you, Box. I just wonder what kinds of impacts these guys will be making in 2-3 years. Will Jarmon be a pass-rushing stud whom we missed, or will Woods-Crable-Redd fulfill increasing expectations from fans (like me, for example)?

Serious doubts that BB will get into the Jarmon lottery. Can't help but think that the position needs some bolstering, though.

11. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +322 / 27 / -15

Why Panic? Please use some perspective. The Pats have recently used a First and two Thirds on a new generation of LBs. That is a pretty high collection of picks and we can reasonably expect another one this next off season as well. That is not mention three young UDFA possible "finds".

WRT Guyton; it was his play at OLB that earned him a non-drafted rating. He was a good ILB, who was unfortunate to be stuck behind a high draft pick, college star in Phil Wheeler, and thus overlooked.;)

12. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Um, who, besides Indy, wanted Phil Wheeler? 14 TT in 2008, impressive ol' Phil was. Gary had 34 TT and 3 PD, which is gratifying because I had him on my shopping list while Wheeler was not. Heck, Vince Redd had 8 TT, a PD, and a FF, and he only played like 15 snaps or so. As for the "panic" remark, please go back and review context.

13. patchick

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

FYI, Jarmon's doing his workout tomorrow (7/9). NFL.com reported that he also worked out at Kentucky's pre-draft pro-day, measuring 6'3" 280 4.76, presumably without the typical intensive workout-specific training. Makes for a kind of interesting test case to see what 3 months of that training can do.

14. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

UK's Jarmon attracts 18 NFL teams to workout | KentuckySports.com

15. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +322 / 27 / -15

Phil Wheeler coming out was ranked as a 2nd-3rd round LB pick. That's where he went to the Clots. Sorry about not recognizing the sarcasm. Some posters say and post the most inane things, so you can't always detect the facetious imitation.:(

16. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +132 / 4 / -0

Any word on if the Pats were represented at the workout? Reiss would know...but he's on vacay

17. BritPat

BritPat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +292 / 4 / -3

#54 Jersey

Jarmon selected in the third round by the Skins I do believe.

18. patchick

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Of course! The 'Skins must have been sitting around saying "dang, we haven't traded away any of our 2010 picks yet! What the heck would we do with a full slate of draft choices???" :rolleyes:

I'd have to say that the supplemental draft worked in Jarmon's favor. Mid third is high for him.

19. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

But he is a good fit for the skins defense. Good luck kid!

20. patchick

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Agreed on both statements.

I assume that a supp pick counts against the future year's rookie cap?