PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Reardon -- arrested for armed robbery

dryheat44 said:

I saw that article on the CNN website and was shocked. I really do believe him about the medication as this seems so out of character. I wasn't aware of him losing his son, tragic. I used to watch him pitch for Cotuit in the Cape League. He married a girl that lived down the street from me. She was a babe.

The knee jerk reaction of the Antidepressants made me do it makes me sick, shut the f... up and let your atty do the talking in the meantime get in a program and take responsibility for your behavior.

GJAJ15 said:
The knee jerk reaction of the Antidepressants made me do it makes me sick, shut the f... up and let your atty do the talking in the meantime get in a program and take responsibility for your behavior.
Where did it imply he wasn't taking responsibility for his actions? His lawyer gave a couple of reasons for his behavior. He was on medication due to a heart condition and a antidepressant prescription given by a doctor. I know I wasn't the only one that said 'WTF' when I saw the article. Please give any other explanation on why this person would rob a jewerly store. The reasoning sounds pretty solid to me. If he doesn't give a reason this story is not going away. Secondly, how do you know he isn't already seeing a Dr. for treatment. Just a little too critical on your part.

Bottom line if you walk into a jewelry store and try to rob it, you are a dumb ass and nothing justifies what you do. Just because he is a guy who should not need to do it does not justify what he did. Bet you somehow he gets by on this and winds up in some type of treatment, somehow a poor folk who would do this would just go to jail. His behavior is criminal and should be treated as such, there is no excuse for his behavior. He is a criminal pure and simple, just shut up and take what is coming to you.

GJAJ15 said:
Bottom line if you walk into a jewelry store and try to rob it, you are a dumb ass and nothing justifies what you do. Just because he is a guy who should not need to do it does not justify what he did. Bet you somehow he gets by on this and winds up in some type of treatment, somehow a poor folk who would do this would just go to jail. His behavior is criminal and should be treated as such, there is no excuse for his behavior. He is a criminal pure and simple, just shut up and take what is coming to you.

So, what your saying is that he should do jail time? How that would help anyone? He is not a danger to society. No justice would be served for him serving time. He will get some type of probation, and rightly so.

Well

scout said:
So, what your saying is that he should do jail time? How that would help anyone? He is not a danger to society. No justice would be served for him serving time. He will get some type of probation, and rightly so.

While i buy his excuse and feel for the guy--I would get him help. However he still needs to be prosicuted for the crime none the less. Just becuase he was off his meds, not in his behavior, ect... is not a defense for him. He committed the crime and needs to pay for it, no matter what drove him to do that. I mean i don't drink, so if i go out tonight and have a few drinks (which is out of character for me) and then on the way home i hit and kill someone---does that mean that i should be put into a program instead of being prosictuted for DUI and Homicide? The bottom line is you are responsible for your own actions and he should be sentenced accordingly. No one made him rob that store, and no one made him either take or not take those drugs!

mtbykr said:
While i buy his excuse and feel for the guy--I would get him help. However he still needs to be prosicuted for the crime none the less. Just becuase he was off his meds, not in his behavior, ect... is not a defense for him. He committed the crime and needs to pay for it, no matter what drove him to do that. I mean i don't drink, so if i go out tonight and have a few drinks (which is out of character for me) and then on the way home i hit and kill someone---does that mean that i should be put into a program instead of being prosictuted for DUI and Homicide? The bottom line is you are responsible for your own actions and he should be sentenced accordingly. No one made him rob that store, and no one made him either take or not take those drugs!

Taking your example into account, if he shot and killed someone he would need to serve time. He needs treatment, not jail time.

Well

scout said:
Taking your example into account, if he shot and killed someone he would need to serve time. He needs treatment, not jail time.

I am not saying he doesn't need help, becuase he does. However I believe he still needs to be prosicuted for the crime despite him "needing help". There are a lot of people that "need help" but we should not bend the rules and laws of our country to get them that help. We get them the help, yes---but they still have to live by the same set of rules that everyone else does. Becuase if it happens the way you want--there will be a rash of people robbing places and committing other crimes - and then if they get caught they will just use the "needed help, meds, ect... excuse" becuase that's all it is---an excuse!!

While I agree with the premise of him needing help, our prisons are filled with people who have addictions issues that have gone afoul of the law. If there were sufficient, proven addictions programs available then I could agree, however these treatment programs are usually not equally spread amongst all economic classes and usually not avaible. Jeff Reardon should get treatment for his addictions and should be held responsible for his behavior. Armed Robbery is a very serious offense and needs to be treated as such. My issue is his response to the premise that the addictions made me do it, sickens me because somewhere during that day he had to think about it and he had to walk in the store and do what he did. There is no difference what he did than someone who is drunk, drives and maims someone.

Last edited:
It sounds like he is going to claim that he is manic due to taking a newish group of anti-depressants called SSRIs (selective seretonin re-uptake inhibitors, which boost the levels of seretonin in the brain). A few of them, such as Prozac and what we in the UK call Seroxat (Paroxetine), have been shown in some cases to cause mania in otherwise depressed people.
I agree with GJA, though, that there seems to be some sympathy towards this guy when anyone else would be dealt with by the prison system. If he really has become "manic", then he can be treated accordingly. They will soon work out if he is lying, though.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back