PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Demps says no to the NFL, yes to a track career (linK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palm Beach Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
He could have perhaps run the fastest 40 yard dash ever, before being picked too high by the Raiders!

Instead he's running Spring track, training for the Olympics, and planning a pro track career.

Florida Gators' Jeff Demps to skip NFL Draft and make a run for the London Olympics instead

He might have been the most attractive prospect coming out of Florida this year. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper had him going no later than the fourth round...

"Football is done for now," he said. "Maybe down the road I might want to come back to it, but for now I'm just focusing on running."

To get an idea of how much Demps, 22, may have missed by not entering the NFL Draft, three running backs taken in the fourth round last year all received four-year, $2.5 million contracts.

Chris rainey was just as fast imo

article on the fastest 40s ever for football players:

It has been said consistently that Darrell Green recorded a time of 4.09 at the Washington Redskins’ training camp in 1986. That’s a hard time to swallow but Green’s obvious speed has been put on display many times while he was in the NFL. Green ran down from significant distances two of the fastest running backs to play in the NFL (Tony Dorsett and Eric ****erson). Green has said in interviews that the fastest time he has ever been aware of running is 4.15. To his credit, Green does have a verifiable and official time of 10.08 in the 100 meters while he was a college student at Texas A&I University. If anyone could run a sub 4.1 forty, it was Darrell Green.

Many sources report a 4.12 forty yard dash time for Bo Jackson and if you watched him turn the corner and run down the sidelines in 1987 versus the Seattle Seahawks, you would not doubt any time reported by this freak of nature. Repetition does not make it a fact but if enough sources have reported this time to make me believe it. Jackson has an official 10.39 time in the 100 meter dash in college.

Deion Sanders has the closest thing of the three as a verifiable 40 yard dash time. Sanders ran a 4.21 forty yard dash at the 1989 NFL combine...

One player that is not on the list is Bob Hayes of the Dallas Cowboys. No doubt, Hayes was one of the fastest men, if not the fastest man to put on an NFL uniform. However, as it relates to the 40 yard dash, I could find no time recorded for this Olympic Gold medalist. Hayes has the fastest 100 meter time for an NFL player at 10.05. Should current Florida Gator Jeffery Demps make it to the NFL for any significant amount of time, he will own the fastest time at 10.01. Demps ran this as a high schooler and owns the national prep record for the event...

The Official Unofficial Sub 4.3 Forty Yard Dash List at Gridironstuds.com
1 Bo Jackson Auburn Tigers 4.12
2 Michael Bennett Minnesota Vikings 4.13
3 Alexander Wright Dallas Cowboys 4.14
4 Darrell Green Washington Redskins 4.15
5 Ahman Green Nebraska Cornhuskers 4.17
6 Joey Galloway Ohio St. Buckeyes 4.18
7 Henry Neal Blinn JC 4.2
8 Deion Sanders Florida St. Seminoles 4.21
9 Kevin Curtis Utah Utes 4.21
10 Don Beebe Buffalo Bills 4.21
11 Donte Stallworth Tennessee Volunteers 4.22
12 Willie Parker North Carolina Tar Heels 4.23
13 Clayton Holmes Dallas Cowboys 4.23
14 Rondel Melendez Eastern Kentucky 4.24
15 Chris Johnson East Carolina Pirates 4.24
16 Taylor Mays USC 4.24
17 Ike Taylor Pittsburgh Steelers 4.25
18 Randy Moss Marshall University 4.25
19 Michael Vick Virginia Tech Hokies 4.25
20 Jerome Mathis Hampton 4.25
21 Sam Shields University of Miami (Packers) 4.25

The Fastest 40 Yard Dash Ever | Gridironstuds.com Blog

Many sources report a 4.12 forty yard dash time for Bo Jackson and if you watched him turn the corner and run down the sidelines in 1987 versus the Seattle Seahawks...
Right here...

Bo Jackson NFL highlights - YouTube

:eek:

LOL, that does seem like something out of Madden.

Last edited:
Good decision by Demps imo. I don't think he would have made it in the NFL. I think he does well on the track.

10.01 ? That's not even gonna beat that 21 year old white guy from france.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back