PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Demps returning to Track

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peyton Hillis signed yet?

Hillis is hot garbage.

Anyway, on the subject of Demps, I don't know that you want to show preferential treatment to a guy who hasn't proven a thing at the NFL level, and I question whether you'd want someone on your team whose first priority isn't football.

Why all the fuss? Leon Washington has already replaced Demps as the kick returner and Washington is one of the league's best. Belichick will start the
meter running when Demps does not report and let the fine money accrue.

I assume if he isn't reporting to camp/OTA/... they can definitely put him on the DNR list, but they can also fine him so he doesn't end up getting paid for the time off (they could negotiate that with Demps)?

I mean if he expects to collect money while riding pine, that's pretty low.

Seems like it's a bad situation to put the patriots in and a worse career choice (though I guess $$$ isn't everything and that's sorta commendable, but this is football not soccer or some second tier sport).

patfanken said:
Well since I was clearly "misinformed", and his track and field foray really impacts the season, I find. myself a little pissed about the money he accepted last season. It smacks a little of accepting the money under false pretenses, and while $500,000 (IIRC) is not much relative to the NFL, its still a half a million dollars.

Too bad, I would have liked to have seen that kind of speed on display. Well we have a opening for a RB now, and my guess is that it might be more of a "big RB". A GL/SY guy who might make 3rd and 2, no longer a passing down. Peyton Hillis signed yet?

Yep.

1 ~ At best, he's a pathetic FlipFlopper ~ Track!! No!! FootBall!! No!! Track!! :rolleyes:

2 ~ At worst, he's a scumbag who put on an act to cash a cool $500,000 or so.

He's pretty glib about it, too. My Gut is telling me it's "2". :mad:

1 ~ Living your Dream is one thing ~ no decent Person would begrudge a guy that.

2 ~ Deliberately screwing over the Patriots and their Fans is quite another, thank you.

"Thanks for the $500,000, Babe...But now that I think about it..." :rolleyes:

I think you guys are being a little harsh on the kid. Its not like he signed his NFL deal and 2 weeks later decided to stay with track. The kid was here for a brief moment last pre-season and got on the field with the team and then one of 2 things happened he either got a legitimate season ending injury and they put him on IR or he got a not so season ending injury and they put him on IR anyway to stash him for the year. Either way he earned whatever salary he was paid last year via the injury.

The Patriots still retain his rights and though it was brief due to the injuries they did have his services available to them last year so its not as if the Patriots paid for nothing.

It sux that the kid wants to go back to track but there had to be some slight concern about that when you signed a kid mere weeks after his olympic track season ended having forgone the NFL draft due to it.

If I were BB, I wouldn't be burning up my bridge with him- I'd just tell him, "go do your track thing but you can't come back midseason. It's 100% commitment or nothing."

Also if he refuses to come back, then there's the possibility of legally recovering that 500k.

Chances are he'll be back when he finds out there's no money in track.

We will cut him very soon, that's my guess. Then he will sign with the Jets, and play the full season. I believe the Jets were hot and heavy for the guy too. Either way, this kid has to go, 100% football, or 0%, no in between. **** him.

Of course his agent is going to tweet this. 20% of an NFL contract is worth something. 20% of race proceeds after expenses is nothing. This guy is not Usain Bolt, for crying out loud.

If this guy is going to show up for the games only, the first time he muffs a kickoff or fumbles a return, he'll get cut before he makes it to the sideline.

Returns past the 20 are nice but turnovers are unacceptable. I hope he takes his part time self to the Jets or some other non-contender.

Demps could show up when the Pats RB corp is injury free and productive, so you cut him then. Why do it now? You already have a year and $500k invested in the player. Let the situation play itself out because you might very well be in need of a player with his talent when he's ready to report.

Who advocates cutting him now? To what purpose? He costs zero now.

It's not like the guy is being an ******* about money. Your tone implies that the guy is a douche bag for not wanting to sacrifice his dream and play in the NFL.

Would you write the same **** about a guy quitting his job at the post office to pursue his dream of becoming a trail guide or something?

The guy is a douche bag. He signed a contract knowing full well what would be expected of him. NOW, he wants the Patriots to accommodate him taking a 2nd job that directly interferes with his first job.

Your analogy is bogus and you know it.

Sacrifice his "DREAM"? Which dream is that? Prior to signing with the Pats, he said his dream was to play professional football. Now, all of a sudden, his dream is to run track while using the money he got from football to sustain himself. You'll forgive me if I don't buy the **** you and he are selling...

No, the patriots should do nothing for now, fine him for each day missed, and cut him with the last cuts. If he hasn't shown up by the last cuts, we could wait until he actually shows up.

Who advocates cutting him now? To what purpose? He costs zero now.

Pats should squat on his rights.

If he doesn't want to play, that's fine. Don't antagonize him, but don't cut him either. It's worth the chance that in two years he'll realize track has no upside.

Pats should squat on his rights.

If he doesn't want to play, that's fine. Don't antagonize him, but don't cut him either. It's worth the chance that in two years he'll realize track has no upside.

Agreed. The Pats control his rights, and for as long as that's worth something, there it is. If he's not willing to commit 100%, then he has no place here, but I have a suspicion that he'll eventually come around.

I wasnt really sure what to make of all that other than even at the high end its still pretty low compared to football money.

However given he already has an olympic medal, plus he has added exposure as at least being a collegiate football player, and at least being signed to the NFL that I think he would or could be in that upper echelon of earners for the sport.

What has this guy done for the Pats to put up with this Bullcrap of when he decides to join the team?

This isn't Corey Dillon in his prime wanting to play baseball until mid October here
...this is a TRACK athlete who has shown NOTHING to glow about in the NFL and was on IR within weeks after signing,did someone see something I didn't in the short time he played in the 2012 preseason to warrant the team holding a roster spot for a player who MAY decide he wants to play football later this year?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back