PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Demps returning to Track

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I was clearly "misinformed", and his track and field foray really impacts the season, I find. myself a little pissed about the money he accepted last season. It smacks a little of accepting the money under false pretenses, and while $500,000 (IIRC) is not much relative to the NFL, its still a half a million dollars.

Too bad, I would have liked to have seen that kind of speed on display. Well we have a opening for a RB now, and my guess is that it might be more of a "big RB". A GL/SY guy who might make 3rd and 2, no longer a passing down. Peyton Hillis signed yet?

Well since I was clearly "misinformed", and his track and field foray really impacts the season, I find. myself a little pissed about the money he accepted last season. It smacks a little of accepting the money under false pretenses, and while $500,000 (IIRC) is not much relative to the NFL, its still a half a million dollars.

Too bad, I would have liked to have seen that kind of speed on display. Well we have a opening for a RB now, and my guess is that it might be more of a "big RB". A GL/SY guy who might make 3rd and 2, no longer a passing down. Peyton Hillis signed yet?

Ridley, Bolden, Vereen, and Washington. I think that should cover it. They probably will bring in a couple URFA but I doubt they bring anybody else in. Four on the roster should be good.

I was being nice in my opinion of Demps -- if you love something so much you're willing to give up the real chance of being a multi millionaire, all the power to you.

But you have a point. He's the only track star that has 500k in earned income behind him making it so much easier to choose that path than really trying to earn that salary from the company that paid him.

I find myself a little pissed about the money he accepted last season. It smacks a little of accepting the money under false pretenses, and while $500,000 (IIRC) is not much relative to the NFL, its still a half a million dollars.

Yep.

1 ~ At best, he's a pathetic FlipFlopper ~ Track!! No!! FootBall!! No!! Track!! :rolleyes:

2 ~ At worst, he's a scumbag who put on an act to cash a cool $500,000 or so.

He's pretty glib about it, too. My Gut is telling me it's "2". :mad:

1 ~ Living your Dream is one thing ~ no decent Person would begrudge a guy that.

2 ~ Deliberately screwing over the Patriots and their Fans is quite another, thank you.

"Thanks for the $500,000, Babe...But now that I think about it..." :rolleyes:

After watching that video, I'm hoping the Patriots part ways with him.

I don't see a reason to spend 500k on the 4th/5th rb on the depth chart that I'm now doubtful of will improve to be a factor.

If his plan is really 'focus on track, then i'll be ready for football by game 3,4,5 of the season' -- he won't be able to improve strength / football-conditioning wise to make that impact.

Plus he obviously hasn't been around the team enough to pick up on the Patriots way of answering that question.

It was easier for Bo Jackson because he Bo was a freak athlete (which Demps is not); and he could go thru football conditioning exercises during the baseball season as it doesn't conflict with his baseball ability. And he made it clear to the nfl that was his plan before signing with any team.

Whereas for Demps, he can't do that if his only goal for the next 5 months is to maximize straight line speed.

If the Pats aren't willing to let him do track on top of football (which very likely might be the case), he'll be back in football eventually. His heart may be with track, but unless you're Usain Bolt or another superstar (which Demps is not), there's not a whole lot of money coming in from endorsements and things of that nature.

Bye Bye and Good Luck.............

I'd like to extend my well wishes for a speedy recovery to BB who strained his rib muscles laughing Demps' clueless musings. BB will make Flash Gordon look like a one legged sloth in the speed he cuts Demps.

I'm not giving up on Demps, and the Pats shouldn't either. The NFL season is a long one, and the possibility of adding someone with Demps' speed might be a good shot in the arm come November.

I'd like to extend my well wishes for a speedy recovery to BB who strained his rib muscles laughing Demps' clueless musings. BB will make Flash Gordon look like a one legged sloth in the speed he cuts Demps.

He won't cut him if he's smart. As someone else mentioned, he'll just put him on the DID NOT REPORT list and stash him away.

He won't cut him if he's smart. As someone else mentioned, he'll just put him on the DID NOT REPORT list and stash him away.

But if he reports "mid season" 5-6 games in as he claims he will, BB will need to either put him on the 53 or cut him. Could put him on the PS and hope nobody signs him to their 53. Unlikely he'd cooperate to go to IR with a vicious hangnail injury like a baseball player.

Since when does Bill let a player dictate as to what THEY want to do and when they want to play?....Demps is screwing with the wrong team and the wrong coach who expects his players to live and breath and think football solely as thier main venture until they are no longer a Patriot.

I know Demps is an interesting athlete but I can't see Bill saying "o.k. You can join the team whenever you want or get a chance"

Demps is 95% already cut IMO

Maybe this will change the teams contract terms in relation to athletes who pursuit and participate in multiple sports.

But if he reports "mid season" 5-6 games in as he claims he will, BB will need to either put him on the 53 or cut him. Could put him on the PS and hope nobody signs him to their 53. Unlikely he'd cooperate to go to IR with a vicious hangnail injury like a baseball player.

Personally, I wouldn't cut him. Let him do track then add him to the 53. Especially in this offense, with his speed, he could be a valuable weapon.

Demps could show up when the Pats RB corp is injury free and productive, so you cut him then. Why do it now? You already have a year and $500k invested in the player. Let the situation play itself out because you might very well be in need of a player with his talent when he's ready to report.

wellbye2.jpg

Ridley, Bolden, Vereen, and Washington. I think that should cover it. They probably will bring in a couple URFA but I doubt they bring anybody else in. Four on the roster should be good.
Nah, Nun, I still would like to see a big banger back there. Someone in the ASmith mold who you can count on the GL and SY. And even though he scored a lot of TD's last season, I didn't sense that from Ridley last season. The kind of back you feel can get that yard or two even when there is nothing there.

Is there anyone out there in FA outside of Hillis who fits that description and could also double as a true FB? Cedric Benson?

Personally, I wouldn't cut him. Let him do track then add him to the 53. Especially in this offense, with his speed, he could be a valuable weapon.
You don't cut him, you don't pay him, BUT you don't want him to wind up playing for another team. Not after you paid him all that money to sit on the sideline last year and get paid rehab. If he doesn't show up for some mandatory activity you throw him on some "did not report list". That way he doesn't count to the cap, or the roster, yet you still control his rights.....at least for this year.

I know. Maybe we should start a thread where we speculate that we can trade him to Cleveland for their 3rd round pick, or better yet their FIRST round pick. Yeah...right...THAT's the ticket....yeah (in my best John Lovett voice) :D

Bummer, I wanted to see what they could do with the guy with those unique skills.

I like the suggestion of practice squad player with a chance for a call up - but I am not sure the Pats would even do that. maybe they cut him and bring him in in week 5 or 6 for the practice squad for a late late season call up if and when injuries crop up.

easy come easy go

buh bye......enjoy your NFL career on the DNR list

Can't they PUP him if he doesn't do any activities in TC etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes