PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Demps returning to Track

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW- its a little scary that after seeing how Florio butchered his analysis of the Brady contract, people here would read some speculation from PFT and immediately treat it as fact. :rolleyes:

It's actually from a Rapoport tweet. In historical PFT fashion, they take another's work, fluff it up and include it in their story. PFT, of course, knows nothing beyond the Rapoport's Tweet.

I assume Demps would need the Patriots permission to compete in the T&F events he is interested in. The question is how will the Patriots react to Demps' 2-sport desire.

I would guess his track training isn't optimal football training.
So in that regards, it's too bad.

But if he loves track so much that he's willing to hurt his chances at making huge footfall money; more power to him

Atleast this means most likely Woody's back. I like the four man rbbc of Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, Bolden anyway.

This may mean, if true, that we may have room to take a flyer on one of Lattimore or FB/H (Harvard's player Kyle Juszczyk).
It also means we need to resign Edelman, something I favored anyway.

I've heard of guys spending their offseasons doing worse things. Throw in an injury "out clause" or some such thing, and it'll all be good.

I've heard of guys spending their offseasons doing worse things.

Exactly. If the headline was "Demps spending offseason with full-time track coach", nobody would think anything of it...but that is essentially what he wants to do.

There is a legit question here though. Demps will have been out of football for the better part of 2 years and the Pats clearly thought he wasn't physically ready to play last year (I seriously doubt he really needed to go on IR). If he has been following a diet and weight training program, he should be noticeably more sturdy during TC. If that is the case, running track is moot.

If Demps reports at 170 lbs, then he really should be sucking protein shakes and tossing medicine balls instead of running in circles (ovals?).

Just for reference, here's Demps' schedule this past summer:

August 10: Runs in preliminary heat of the Olympic 4x100, presumably weighs 175 pounds
August 18: Signed by Pats
August 22: Makes training camp debut, says he's up to 183 pounds
August 24: Plays in preseason game, with three carries, two kick returns, and a punt return (plus a 24-yard punt return called back)
August 29: Six carries, three receptions, one kickoff return, and four punt returns
September 2: Put on IR with an ankle injury

I'm assuming he was 175 on August 10 because he's said that's his racing weight. If he was really 183 on the 22nd, then he put on 8 pounds in twelve days. In theory, it seems like the weight wouldn't be much of an issue.

If Belichick want to use a roster spot for a kick returner then obviously that's fine. Just let's make sure that we sign Woodhead.

The track season ends in August. He just needs to attend one mandatory mini-camp before then. It'll be fine, he can do both.

I have to admit I'm excited about the idea of Demps playing for the Pats to an extent beyond what he would probably actually bring to the table.

Even beyond the genuine value he might bring, kickoffs should be exciting! McCourty tentatively making his way to the 21 isn't exciting.

Just for reference, here's Demps' schedule this past summer:

August 10: Runs in preliminary heat of the Olympic 4x100, presumably weighs 175 pounds
August 18: Signed by Pats
August 22: Makes training camp debut, says he's up to 183 pounds
August 24: Plays in preseason game, with three carries, two kick returns, and a punt return (plus a 24-yard punt return called back)
August 29: Six carries, three receptions, one kickoff return, and four punt returns
September 2: Put on IR with an ankle injury

I'm assuming he was 175 on August 10 because he's said that's his racing weight. If he was really 183 on the 22nd, then he put on 8 pounds in twelve days. In theory, it seems like the weight wouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks for that breakdown. they're obviously looking at him for punt returns, though i found no evidence he did that in college.

Seems to me, he could do kick returns after track training and put on some weight as he grows through the years. It's not like he'll see anything but spot duty in the regular offense.

Thanks for that breakdown. they're obviously looking at him for punt returns, though i found no evidence he did that in college.

Seems to me, he could do kick returns after track training and put on some weight as he grows through the years. It's not like he'll see anything but spot duty in the regular offense.

There's no way to put on 8 pounds of muscle in twelve days. That 0.6 pounds a day of muscle.

Naturally it takes around (20 * your weight in pounds) of calories daily and tons of heavy lifting to get one solid pound of muscle A MONTH. There is an element of being able to regain lost muscle mass faster than putting it on the first time (the increased muscle nuclei are already present), but even being generous (4x) that amounts to a pound a week.

Even with roids that number is absurd.

:confused:

I don't know why people are concluding that he won't be back this season. I see nothing to indicate that being the case. At least this means he'll be staying in shape.

I'm sorry but I don't see a negative here, whats wrong with him running and staying in shape in the offseason? If his passion was playing Rugby or even basketball I'd be worried for injuries but how often does a track star get injured? Could you imagine if he was only in Vegas and doing crazy dances during the offseason....oh wait Gronk already does that.

Can't see BB letting him be a patriot part time. If he does end up leaving the pats, then good luck to him. Can't fault him for wanting to chase his dream. Good luck to you Mr. Demps. Go Team USA and Go Patriots!

Not a good sign. At all. I wonder if he somehow realized over the last few months that pro ball is not for him, because no way he'll make a fraction of the same $$$ in track.

I guess one has to respect his decision to put money secondary to his love of his primary sport.

I'm disappointed as I think he showed plenty of promise.

My expectation is that the Pats address a deep threat WR in free agency - but that they also take a speedy WR in the draft, and try to use him as a returner.

Rookie WRs typically need a few seasons to develop as WRs, and Brady and the Pats are in a "win now" mode, and won't rely on a rookie to fill that missing offensive element at deep WR.

But they still need to develop a guy who can contribute within 3 years and putting such a WR at kick and punt return is a good place to stash them while they acclimate to the NFL.

Can't see BB letting him be a patriot part time. If he does end up leaving the pats, then good luck to him. Can't fault him for wanting to chase his dream. Good luck to you Mr. Demps. Go Team USA and Go Patriots!

Exactly, BB only wants guys who eat, drink and sleep football. That's why I hope the Pats draft Tavon Austin (if he's available). We need receivers, AND someone to replace Demps in the return game.

as others have said this just doesnt work

Sprinters need to be light and lean,

This is not a deion sanders football/baseball situation

Sprinting and football are too different body types. he needs to be fast, yet sturdy if hes going to be returning kicks, and at times running as a third down back, and i just don't see him coming into training camp underweight, after training during the off season to be a sprinter coming in and getting that weight and toning down the speed a bit for shiftyness.

I'm sorry but I don't see a negative here, whats wrong with him running and staying in shape in the offseason? If his passion was playing Rugby or even basketball I'd be worried for injuries but how often does a track star get injured? Could you imagine if he was only in Vegas and doing crazy dances during the offseason....oh wait Gronk already does that.

Hopefully he doesn't pull a hammy or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back