PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Blake/Jay Fielder/somebody else vs. Matt Cassell (Warning: actual football talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I say a year in the system is a year in the system. Thus, Cassell would be a better option to step in than somebody else.

Furthermore, if BB could go to battle with Rohan Davey as a #2, why not Cassell? Therefore, IMHO if we sign a vet QB (remember J. Miller), I think its for the 3rd spot for the scout team.

Last edited:
Hopefully Brady doesn't get hurt and it doesn't become an issue. Because if it ever does become an issue for more than a half during the last game of the season, well... I won't even say anything.

I don't think 2 or 3 matters. They often switch game to game.

I do think we need a healthy vet to go along with a promising but inexperienced Cassel.

I look at it more as any veteran QB v. Bramlet/Mortensen. Cassell is on this team, and I think, regardless of who may be brought in, he wins the backup job. We still need a 3rd string QB, and I'd be much more comfortable with an experienced veteran than either of the other 2 guys. If for nothing else than to help Cassell if *gulp* anything ever happened to #12. I really believe we are going to sign either Blake or Fiedler.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
I say a year in the system is a year in the system. Thus, Cassell would be a better option to step in than somebody else.

Furthermore, if BB could go to battle with Rohan Davey as a #2, why not Cassell? Therefore, IMHO if we sign a vet QB (remember J. Miller), I think its for the 3rd spot for the scout team.

I agree. If the Patriots were going to bring in a veteran to backup Brady, one would have to think they would have done it by now. I think they will bring in a veteran but as the third QB like you said.

Just a side note: Blake signed with the Bears a couple of years ago and couldn't get on the field over Chad Hutchinson. Ouch.

Experienced/Journeymen QBs are also invaluable when running the scout team in order to prepare the defense.

Remember the praise of Huard for his Manning-like impersonations?

Is Jeff George around? I hear the same theme through many of these posts. It all comes down to an insurance policy. I think we must remember that BB is a master insurance salesman. He may not always show his hand, but he has a plan. As to who will be the # 3, it is tough to discern. It would be nice to have a solid passer like a Huard.

I'd like to see Fiedler on the team right now. Having a seasoned vet on the sideline and in practice can only aid in Cassels progression. And I would give him the nod (if both players practice similar) over Cassel.

And just think, if we needed him to play he could just pull his helmet off, flap those ears of his, fly over the defence, and land in the end zone.

Huard won't be available, unless the Chiefs either go with 2 QBs (unlikely) or with 2nd-year Casey Printers.

Digger44 said:
Is Jeff George around? I hear the same theme through many of these posts. It all comes down to an insurance policy. I think we must remember that BB is a master insurance salesman. He may not always show his hand, but he has a plan. As to who will be the # 3, it is tough to discern. It would be nice to have a solid passer like a Huard.

The latest news clip from the Jeff George front is that he tried out for the Lions back in September. Before that, he wasn't retained by the Bears after he was a backup for them in 2004.

Digger44 said:
Is Jeff George around?
Yeah, but why wasste a roster spot. He'll be around all season, along with Vinnie T and a couple others, should we need a vet QB. Use the shadow roster: Bring one or two in for training camp, let them learn the system, then tell them to go home and stay in shape.

I don't think we need one this minute...no rush o bring in avet..ANY vet they bring in can learn the system pretty quick..NOT rocket science..and especially if he's the 3rd and not 2nd.. SO maybe they wait and see how the two rooks look as well as Cassal..If the soph is REALLY ready to be THE backup..then a 3rd string vet is in a different role than if Cassal isn't ready and the team needs a backup. I think that is what they wish to determine BEFORE bringing one in...so TC..4rd week..after maybe one game..BUT one never knows about what they may do.
BB doesn't like 5 in canp and with 4 on the roster...this also may be a factor.
It's not a big deal either..just fine tuning..

pats1 said:
Huard won't be available, unless the Chiefs either go with 2 QBs (unlikely) or with 2nd-year Casey Printers.

i didn't say huard would be available. please go back and actually read what I wrote instead of reading what you want.

I feel that in the (unlikely, unfortunate, heart-breaking) event that Tom goes down, Cassell should go in. The situation would remind me of Bledsoe's injury. Cassell is obviously a talented guy and he's had a year to learn the system. No other step-in quarterback has those credentials.

Of course, it's possible that we may lose a few in the process of putting the polish on Cassell, but such loses would be a good investment in my opinion. Putting in an old vet is no investment at all, and are there any out there we're sure would be better than Cassell?

I believe the team has as good or better a chance of winning games with Cassell as QB than it would with Fiedler.

Digger44 said:
i didn't say huard would be available. please go back and actually read what I wrote instead of reading what you want.

I disagree, the way your post was worded implied Huard also. Maybe choose your wording more carefully next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back