Welcome to PatsFans.com

Jeapardy's top 2 Champs to face IBM supercomputer tonight

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

This sounds really interesting. I might actually tune in. Man versus the machine. With artificial intelligence becoming more and more of a factor in mankinds world, it will be interesting to see how the human mind performs against it.

The 'Jeopardy' Champs' Gameplan for Beating IBM's Supercomputer

By DAWN KAWAMOTO
    Posted 10:00 AM 02/11/11 Technology, Media, IBM

Jeopardy champions Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter know what it takes to win -- against humans. But when the duo go face-to-face with IBM's supercomputer Watson, starting Monday night, they'll be relying on alternative methods.

Jennings holds the title of having the longest run of consecutive games won, while Rutter's $3.2 million purse makes him the largest money winner. Both offered insights into some of their winning strategies going into the three-day, two-game Jeopardy challenge with Big Blue's (IBM) Watson.

Super-Processing vs. Human Cunning

And do they face a challenge, come Feb. 14, 15 and 16. Watson's key developer says the supercomputer with a friendly voice can process the equivalent of 1 million books in three seconds. And the steps Watson takes to parcel that information are very similar to the manner the human brain works out data.

See full article from DailyFinance: The 'Jeopardy' Champs' Gameplan for Beating IBM's Supercomputer - DailyFinance

The 'Jeopardy' Champs' Gameplan for Beating IBM's Supercomputer - DailyFinance

2. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I wonder if this is how SkyNet is first born.

Computer ties human as they square off on 'Jeopardy!'

By John D. Sutter, CNN
    February 15, 2011 7:40 a.m. EST | Filed under: Innovation

[​IMG]
    Watson has the processing power of 2,800 "powerful computers"
    The human-computer battle continues on "Jeopardy!" through Wednesday

(CNN) -- The computers haven't proven to be our trivia overlords just yet.

Give them at least until Wednesday.

An IBM supercomputer named Watson finished one round of the TV show "Jeopardy!" on Monday night tied with one of his human competitors and $3,000 ahead of the other.

The man vs. computer face-off won't be complete, however, until the final rounds of the extended trivia game show are aired on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Computer ties human as they square off on 'Jeopardy!' - CNN.com

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

Thanks for posting this yesterday -- I woudln't have been aware of it in time to record it otherwise. I thought it was interesting on a few levels. Did you watch?

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Saw last night's episode, the first of three.

Its tied between Watson and the guy who isn't Ken Jennings at 5k a piece. Kenny Jennings is rocking 2k at the end of the 1st round.

Watson is ultra fast, you can see in real time how quickly it comes up with answers at the bottom of the screen. It jumped out to an early lead, but missed on a few after the break, and at one point Watson gave an answer that had already been declared wrong. I guess they have yet to give the machine ears. The two contestants are giving it a run for its money.

We will see how the next two nights go, I highly suggest watching it, as it is a very intersting experiment in how our computing power is pretty strong and increasing by the second.

It also made me think we are that much closer to Hal/Skynet

5. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

6. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,003 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I like the comment that if you want a human to win, Final Jeopardy should be a CAPTCHA.

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Unfortunately I didn't. I left my office really late and didn't get home till it was over. I'm going to a warmer place on Friday, and have to get some stuff done before I leave. I was looking for it on Hulu or online last night, and couldn't find it. I think Holy just linked it. I will be watching tonight though.

Man vs machine on an intellectual level really fascinates me. It does so in a number of ways too. For all that AI and technology does, I think there are some potential risks with it as we move forward. Also, I think the more we rely on advancements, the less we tend to do on our own. What will that mean for future generations. I just think of the times when the internet isn't working at home, or in the office. Or times when your power goes out due to a storm. That feeling speaks volumes about how dependent we are on machines, electronics, and all the related technolgies of mankind. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to seeing the show.

Anyone seen this movie?

YouTube - 2010 HAL-2 with Dr. Chandler

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  8. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +1,003 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

My wife and I were just talking about this the other day, how in a "**** hits the fan" type of doomsday scenario, most people would die within a short time because they don't know how to survive without modern trappings. Our technology has given us a lot of benefits, but has also provided us with a false sense of security in our surroundings. Just growing up in urban America and then moving to rural Canada showed me how ignorant I was of basic survival (though, in a weird twist, that area was one of the first in the world with high speed internet in 1996 :confused2:).

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I think of the scene in the movie "the Hunt for Red October" where Alec Baldwin is telling the American captain to signal the Russian sub via morse code, and the captain responds while doing so by saying "It's OK Mr. Ryan. My Morse Code is so rusty I might be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month".

10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

I agree that it's fascinating. That's part of why I enjoyed watching last night. On the one hand, that this computer does what it does is incredible. on the other, it makes it pretty clear how amazing the brain is, when you see the computing power and manpower (in assembling it and developing the algorithms (I guess?)) required just to play Jeopardy.

re. risks of technology, that's true, but I believe most people are pretty adaptible. And it's nothing new, though it's increased over time. (In one of those books/movies where a guy goes back in time, that's why he can't get anybody to believe he's from the future -- he tells them all about cars, TV, etc., but can't create any of these advancements for them or even really explain how they work. and that was probably written several decades ago)

11. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Gawker — Today's gossip is tomorrow's news

the entire computing power that exists on Earth right now is = 1 Human Brain

12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

How did it come up w/Toronto as a guess when the category was US cities?

Not a great ending to a program when they were talking about revolutionizing industries such as medicine ;)

13. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +1,003 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

That puzzled me too. The computer mopped the floor with them in the second round, but I have no idea how it came up with Toronto. I would have thought the category "US Cities" would have caused it to rule Toronto out. Unless it processed "US" as a pronoun, and somehow assumed that Lester B. Pearson was a war hero. While it did well in the second round, that last gaffe is pretty significant. Like you said; it falls short of the standard I would want for medicine.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Talk about mopping the floor with the competition. Sheesh. In the famous words of SkyNet's cyber assasin, the Terminator:

"Hasta la vista, baby"

15. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

Does anybody who ahs watched recall them explaining how the computer "buzzes" in? Because clearly it's beating the other 2 to the draw a lot, and you could see their frustration last night.

16. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah this bothered me, it seemed more a testament to Watson's ability to buzz in faster than the human reflex can possibly do rather than a test of its ability to think. Still very impressive by the computer, and I guess you could say that the fact that it is able to process the answer and ring in so fast is a testament to its computing power.

I'm not going to be 100% impressed until they can fit watson in a box the size of the human brain.

I was really hoping it risked a huge sum in Final Jeopardy when it got the wrong answer.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I wonder if they shouldn't compute the time it takes a human to buzz in, and add that to the moment the computer has determined its answer. Basically the computer is buzzing in at the speed of light once it's come to a conclusion, where which the human contestants think of their answer, and then physically have to buzz. Of course, that might be part of the point in the man vs machine game. That the machine isn't slowed by mankinds physical limitations.

Whats crazy though is that the machine must run all kinds of statistical models and computations to determine the proper wager versus both the players total scores, and the certainty of it's answer. And I thought figuring out when BB should go for 2 in a football game was alot.

18. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +1,003 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I said the same thing to my wife last night. Real World has a great point, though. That's part of the man vs. machine contest.

19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The fascinating thing about Watson isn't the "knowledge" it holds. Just about any computer can hold thousands and thousands of encyclopedias worth of knowledge in its memory.

The fascinating thing about Watson is its ability to understand and comprehend the subtleties of human language. No, this is not a step closer to Skynet - but it is a step closer to Star Trek, where people are able to fully interact with computers based simply on have a normal, ordinary conversation.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is an excellent question. It seems to me that the computer is beating the contestants more on timing than on actual knowledge.