PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JD Drew already in mid season form.

4 teams had 6 or more players play in 140+ games last season. 9 teams had 5 or more players play in 140+ games last season. Half the league didn't even have 4 players play in 140 games. On most teams last year, 140 games would be about average.

And no, that actually wouldn't be my logic. Pitchers giving up runs and hitters slumping are not decided by the manager. Playing time is. As I have already posted, teams like to give their players different numbers of off days, even when that player is perfectly healthy. Case in point, Francona gave Youkilis the day off last week for no reason but to give Sean Casey playing time. Eric Hinske started at 1B 29 times last season for the same reason. That same thing happened several times last season when Pena was given playing time over Drew despite Drew being perfectly healthy without the need for rest.

4 teams had 6 or more players play in 140+ games last season. 9 teams had 5 or more players play in 140+ games last season. Half the league didn't even have 4 players play in 140 games. On most teams last year, 140 games would be about average.

And no, that actually wouldn't be my logic. Pitchers giving up runs and hitters slumping are not decided by the manager. Playing time is. As I have already posted, teams like to give their players different numbers of off days, even when that player is perfectly healthy. Case in point, Francona gave Youkilis the day off last week for no reason but to give Sean Casey playing time. Eric Hinske started at 1B 29 times last season for the same reason. That same thing happened several times last season when Pena was given playing time over Drew despite Drew being perfectly healthy without the need for rest.

Um, Eric Hiske? Sean Casey? Did they get signed to 5 year $70 million contracts? Those guys aren't even platoon players, nevermind starters. Furthermore, we're not just talking about last year here. We're talking about a history of games missed over a career. Why are you such an appologist for Drew? Call a spade a spade. The guy is talented, but he's an overpaid china doll. He your cousin or something? :D

How was I comparing Hinske and Casey to Drew? I was saying that crap like them frequently take the place of guys like Youkilis or Drew because Francona wants them to play, regardless of the health of those they are replacing.

And I'm not a Drew apologist. He's overpaid, I didn't like the signing at the time (and still don't), and don't want him on the team. I just think its absurd that people consider 140 games a low number, when most teams don't have half their team play in that many games. There are plenty of things about Drew to harp on, playing time isn't one of them.

If you're comparing Beckett and Drew, one of these players has a track record of missing games for less-than-severe injuries.. It's hard not to say 'here we go again' with this guy..
beckett was the blister king, had difficulty his 1st season in boston and that was without a child in a cast with hip issues

give drew this season before writing him off

It's a lot when you've played your entire career in the national league. The guy is the epitomy of a china doll.
in the NL there in No DH so he sits completely when given a rest and can't DH, that option would have increased his games played

in the NL there in No DH so he sits completely when given a rest and can't DH, that option would have increased his games played

Pinch hitting for pitchers & double switches.

Red Sox - JD Drew - Josh Beckett = No World Series Championship last Season. If your gonna play post season baseball like those guys did last year, then I say take a few extra games off. So it took Drew some time to get comfortable in red socks, give the guy a break. Hes on fire right now.

J D Drew was picked on last season by a lot of Sox fans and in many cases it was justified.

Somehow I believe that what he is doing now this early in the season is not a fluke and that he will be a major contributor all season long.

'Brandon Moss entered the game in right field in the fourth after J.D. Drew suffered tightness in his left thigh running to first base.'

He's also been suffering from tightness around his throat lately.. I smell a trip to the DL for Nancy.. :D

Drew sucks but lets just over it. There is no salary cap. It does not matter. Plus, we all know Drew was signed to butter up his agent and facilitate the signing of Dice-K.

Drew is looking pretty bad right now, batting .301 with 3 homers and 17 rbi's, now he isn't at the moment worth the money, but it is better than having Nixon out there (no offense to Nixon, but he is over the hill). I say give him this year and lets see what he does.

Drew has another 'owie'... left tonight's game with a sprained wrist.. I'm sure we're looking at another week at least..

Drew has another 'owie'... left tonight's game with a sprained wrist.. I'm sure we're looking at another week at least..
im not a big drew guy but he bent his rist pretty good. they say its not broken just a sprain.

I'll be shocked if he misses more than 2 games. Assuming its nothing more than a sprain.

Sprain will probably keep him out at least a week.

JD Drew and Lugo are terrible signings talk about a waste of over 20 million a year on those players combined

He misses more time than that with a hang nail. :D
The hangnail joke was already used in this thread. Try something like stubbed toe next time if you want to exaggerate his injuries.

I doubt he'll play tonight, but Drew thinks its a possibility. Doesn't look like he'll miss nearly as much time as ya'll seemed to think.
Drew hyperextended his wrist, and although he was hopeful he could play tonight, his status is far from certain.
Herald

Drew was back in the lineup one day after injury, and he hit a grandslam today!

Last edited:
JD out of the lineup tonight with.... vertigo?? That's a new one.. :eek:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes