Welcome to PatsFans.com

JC Watts considers supporting Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

Wow, a Republican presidential candidate and former Republicans Sec'y of State are thinking of supporting Obama. I wonder if the white party will continue to remain deaf to issues of race.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/14/black-conservatives-confl_n_107141.html

J.C. Watts, a former Oklahoma congressman who once was part of the GOP House leadership, said he's thinking of voting for Obama. Watts said he's still a Republican, but he criticizes his party for neglecting the black community. Black Republicans, he said, have to concede that while they might not agree with Democrats on issues, at least that party reaches out to them.

"And Obama highlights that even more," Watts said, adding that he expects Obama to take on issues such as poverty and urban policy. "Republicans often seem indifferent to those things."

Likewise, retired Gen. Colin Powell, who became the country's first black secretary of state under President George W. Bush, said both candidates are qualified and that he will not necessarily vote for the Republican.

"I will vote for the individual I think that brings the best set of tools to the problems of 21st-century America and the 21st-century world regardless of party, regardless of anything else other than the most qualified candidate," Powell said Thursday in Vancouver in comments reported by The Globe and Mail in Toronto.
  2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Patters, did you ever read this article? I think I might have mentioned it before...Thomas Sowell on the disconnect between blacks and republicans.
    http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/...epublicans_and_blacks?page=full&comments=true
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

Yes, I did see that a.paul, but the problem for the Republicans is that many Republicans choose to believe there are no issues of race. People like BF, for instance, who says that businessowners should be allowed to discriminate against blacks (and others), represents just one type of Republican blindness to the issues of discrimination in America. Until the mainstream Republicans acknowledge that there's racism in the US, it will be hard for them to fix their problems with the black community.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I'm not going to get into the Black thing but a lot of people will support Obama because it's a virtual forgone conclusion he'll win and people like to support a winner. Why do you think a lot of Wall Street money goes to Obama ? If you think it's because they want him to win, you're smoking something - they just think he'll win and want to get off to a good start with him.
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +282 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I think businesses should be able to hire whoever they want and it should be none of the government's business. Regarding race (sigh) I think Blacks, Whites, Asians, Hispanics are all fully capable but some races more than others don't take getting a good education and getting a good job seriously enough. It starts with the parents who show it to the kids and until all parents take that job equally seriously the races won't be equal even though they have the capability to be - and that's not my fault nor the fault of Republicans; it's just the way it is.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

I think whites are fully capable of comprehending racism, but some races more than others find it more difficult to be sensitive to the plight of others. But whites don't like admitting that the privileges they are born into are partly due to the color of their skin. (If you see how ignorant my generalization is, perhaps you'll begin to realize how ignorant your comment was.)
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Hmmmm....I wonder why they're considering supporting Obama? Anyone know? Sheesh, I just can't figure it out. :confused:
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +282 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I have no problem with generalizations because when you talk about any population you have to do so.

I also agree that Whites in general are born into better situations. Duh. But that doesn't excuse bad marriages, bad parenting, bad efforts in school. Again, generalizations but accurate ones. Look at the Vietnamese boat people. How much did they "get" from the country and how well have they done ? How about Japanese put in internment camps like my father in law. My comments aren't ignorant, yours are. You are responsible for yourself and for making something at least decent out of yourself, whatever you're born into. Maybe someone with poor parents can't get to where my kids might get - but they can still get through high school and get a decent job. We pay close to 1/5 of a million dollars for each kid to go from K-12; how dare they not put forth an effort, whatever race they are.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

BF, IIRC, thinks that a business owner should be able to hire & fire whomever he pleases, since it's his business. Lots of people feel that way. I've got a buddy who's a bartender on the weekends, and has been for well over 10 years. He whines all the time about how he can't get a job in town, at a nightclub, cuz all they hire is women. He's an uber conservative, and says he's being discriminated against. I disagree with him. I think the owner of a pub, bar, or nightclub, should be able to hire as many bimbo, DD, slutty looking blondes as they wish. ;)
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +282 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Right. If I owned a business and didn't want to hire women - or didn't want to provide service to women, that should be my right. Now, I'd probably go out of business as I'd be cutting off more than half of my potential employees or customers but it should still be my business to do with as I wish.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

Comparing the Vietnamese boat people to blacks tells me that you do not understand the fundamental issue. Racism is inherent in our society and, I think, your views. The effects of racism have had hundreds of years to permeate black society and continue to do so by people like you who believe the majority should be allowed to discriminate. Your views are racist, but I really don't think you realize it. When people like JC Watts are considering supporting Obama, and you still don't get it, all I can say is, "My god! Wake up!" I'm coming as close to making a personal attack as you are to making racist comments, so this is all I will say on this subject. I don't know how to get through to you.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

I don't completely agree with you, but I understand the general point.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +282 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

The number of years has no bearing on single parents and unwed mothers. Maybe I don't understand the problem of getting your foot in the door in a business as a black problem. However the problem goes way further back than that to the schools and further back than that to the family structures. And that has nothing to do with racism.
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +187 / 3 / -10

This is one of the best comments I've read since wandering onto this board. I'll just leave it at that. Great insight!
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +187 / 3 / -10

This comment sorely lacks a vision of the big picture. So you believe if you're a landlord, you should be able to rent to only those YOU feel deserve to live in your apartments? So if you wanted to, you could rent to "whites only" hypothetically of course.

Don't you think that could result in some serious disparities on a regional & national scale? In all honesty, your comment is incredibly ridiculous.
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +282 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Whites only; blacks only; males only; females only. Yep.
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +187 / 3 / -10

You obviously can't see the ignorance of your statement, but this is America and you have the right to say it.

But if what you say became reality, you'd set this country back 50 years.

It all boils down to the power of the majority. The United State of America can not allow the majority to control jobs, housing or any other basic necessity in the quest of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness of the individual. Your statement is fine if YOU are a member of the majority, but if you were black and a rational person, you couldn't make that same statement.

Our constitution and our bill of rights are all designed so that the majority can never, ever prevent the minority from having everything the majority has. The reality is, this country MUST ensure that anyone can live or work anywhere they choose to. If you own a company and I'm qualified, then I'm working for you whether you like it or not.

Whites represent over 75% of the US population and probably own or run the companies that employ 90% of the US workforce. So if all these white people wanted to hire whites only...well, I think you can figure out the rest. That will never happen and we should all be thanking God for that.
  18. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +556 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

If only Hillary had been a brother .. I mean a sister ... :p
  19. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Sorry Patters but this crap is ridiculous! "whites" aren't born into "privileges" by default. It pisses me off to read this crap.

I just came back from my brother's boot camp graduation. I PAID for my mother, stepfather, brother, brother and his girlfriend and my graduating brother's girlfriend, plus my wife and kids - trip to Ft Jackson.

Why?

Because my white (poor) mother, white (poor) toothless stepfather,white (poor) liceneless brother (due to DUI's) and my own white wife and silver spooned children couldn't afford it themselves.

And how did I break the chain?

Joined the Army received outstanding training, went to college and busted my ass so that I wasn't like my lazy "white" relatives!!!! But apperently that is only available to us "whites"... Get out of the 60's and join us...TODAY!

Let me ask you this Patters: Why is it that most (if not all) of the black people I work with are against gay marriage...in ANY FORM?

Is it because of the ugly "white people" or...?
  20. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

So if JC said Obama "H" is a terrorist you would support it?

C'mon you are reaching further than I thought you could!