PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jay Glazer: Rex Ryan told his team "word on the street" is he is getting fired

PP2 and Andy:
Outsider looking in, it appears you both have a subjective view of what being competitive implies and it is ok imo.
If your peers are the median or even the mean, then you can be considered competitive if you are .500. However, if the goal is to win or be better than those you are competing with, then the Jets cannot be considered competitive.
So PP2 is right in saying that we all have our opinions on what being competitive is. Andy, you are also not wrong in saying the Jets are competitive, perhaps, you deem competition as it should be as a normal curve and provided you are in 1 standard deviation of the mean, you are competitive.

I understand your point, but words do have definitions.
Competitive doesn't have one that includes making fans happy, or a level of eliteness, just that you are competing with average or better results. That is really the definition.
Changing the definition of a word isn't really subjective.

If I were arguing the Patriots were ATROCIOUS since 2005 and used no SB wins as my subjective definition of atrocious, that would be equally wrong.

I understand your point, but words do have definitions.
Competitive doesn't have one that includes making fans happy, or a level of eliteness, just that you are competing with average or better results. That is really the definition.
Changing the definition of a word isn't really subjective.

If I were arguing the Patriots were ATROCIOUS since 2005 and used no SB wins as my subjective definition of atrocious, that would be equally wrong.

Or "be the best at something". It has a lot of meaning depending on the context being used.
Yes, words have definition but when that word when being defined in dictionaries has the word "Or" amid sentences used; then subjectivity arises.
When BB uses competitive, he is thinking like you Andy and sometimes a tad below the average.

Or "be the best at something". It has a lot of meaning depending on the context being used.
Yes, words have definition but when that word when being defined in dictionaries has the word "Or" amid sentences used; then subjectivity arises.
When BB uses competitive, he is thinking like you Andy and sometimes a tad below the average.

But thje definition of competitive does not include 'be the best at something'.
It says be as good or better than your competition.
As good would be .500, better would be over .500.
I just don't see where there is subjectivity in that.
Being somewhere from 8th-11th most successful out of 32 is ironclad competitive by the definition.
Good, outstanding, championship caliber, elite, dominant would be words or phrases that would describe the level the Jets have not attained, but its silly to say they aren't competitive when they win more than an average share of games, make the playoffs more than an average amount of times, and win more than an average amount of playoff games over the stated period.

Look at the converse.
For the last 17 years the Jets have been so bad they haven't even been competitive in the NFL.
Clearly the amount of success they had, while not up to Patriot standards is above average and inconsistent with saying they are not even competitive.

Teams are described as competitive in close losses.
Teams are described as competitve for the playoffs when they are eliminated in the final week.
How can winning more than not and making the playoffs more than average be a team that isn't even competitive.

Perhaps PP2 misunderstands the definition, or has a better word for his feelings, because the Jets certainly have lacked a level of achievement for years, but if the bar is set at competitive, they clearly have been.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back