PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jay Glazer: Rex Ryan told his team "word on the street" is he is getting fired

You're assuming that he has GM control like BB does which he doesn't. What he had to do, is contend with a terrible manager in Tannebaum who was removed earlier this year.

Tannebaum is the one who drafted Sanchez and Gholston, and who frequently overruled Ryan on personnel decisions.

He is the HC. He has agreed with the decisions you are calling his excuse for not being accountable to losing.
So, what are we judging him on? Surely not coaching the team, because 5 years of putrid offense is apparently everyone elses fault. So are we judging him on the great defense that is 21st in points allowed over the last 3 years?
Whose fault is the dysfunctional locker room?

Incredibly people also take the fact that the Jets drafted a QB who needed coaching and put no blame on the coaching staff that 5 years later has coached him to being worse than he was as a rookie.

He is the HC. He has agreed with the decisions you are calling his excuse for not being accountable to losing.
So, what are we judging him on? Surely not coaching the team, because 5 years of putrid offense is apparently everyone elses fault. So are we judging him on the great defense that is 21st in points allowed over the last 3 years?
Whose fault is the dysfunctional locker room?

How could he have done better? No matter how good of a HC you are, you are only as good as your players are given. Even BB would not be as good as he is without Brady.

And who's to say that Sanchez getting worse is a product of coaching rather than Sanchez himself? From the tabloids, we've seen plenty of evidence that he doesn't take care of himself in the offseason.

Am I saying he is an awesome coach? No. He has plenty of flaws, but it's silly to pin everything that is wrong with the Jets, on him.

How could he have done better? No matter how good of a HC you are, you are only as good as your players are given. Even BB would not be as good as he is without Brady.
He could have coached Sanchez better.
He could have recognized Sanchez stunk and did something different.
He could have coached in a way that didn't have a mess in the locker room with the offensive players fighting each other.

And who's to say that Sanchez getting worse is a product of coaching rather than Sanchez himself? From the tabloids, we've seen plenty of evidence that he doesn't take care of himself in the offseason.
Then he shouldn't have been on the field.
What you do off the field doesn't prevent you from learning if you are there and attempting to and there is no evidence he was not. He got horrendous coaching, its pretty much not even debatable.

Am I saying he is an awesome coach? No. He has plenty of flaws, but it's silly to pin everything that is wrong with the Jets, on him.

He's the coach. The team has gotten progressively worse.
What are you saying is good that you are giving the credit to him for?
If you can't blame him for the bad you can't give him credit for the good, but really there isn't even any good.

Rexy is not head coaching material, so many of his decisions are based on a need to self-aggrandize. The Jets failure under him is not completely his fault but he does share in the blame as well.

He has no business being a HC at this point, he should go beack to being a coordinator and learn a little humility.

He could have coached Sanchez better.
He could have recognized Sanchez stunk and did something different.
He could have coached in a way that didn't have a mess in the locker room with the offensive players fighting each other.

He probably knew Sanchez stunk, but did he have the power to bench Sanchez (especially after the big contract) and start someone else? That's the big question.

He probably could have done better in the locker room. That's one of his flaws.

Then he shouldn't have been on the field.
What you do off the field doesn't prevent you from learning if you are there and attempting to and there is no evidence he was not. He got horrendous coaching, its pretty much not even debatable.

Give me an example of how he got horrendous coaching? What's the difference between horrendous coaching and horrendous playing or decision-making?

He's the coach. The team has gotten progressively worse.
What are you saying is good that you are giving the credit to him for?
If you can't blame him for the bad you can't give him credit for the good, but really there isn't even any good.

I never said to give him credit for anything. I said that to pin the problems of an entire franchise on the HC is misleading. Having a horrendous GM has something to do with it as well.

He probably knew Sanchez stunk, but did he have the power to bench Sanchez (especially after the big contract) and start someone else? That's the big question.
He was the biggest Sanchez supporter. Of course he could have played a different QB. And if he was being forced to play him against his will you are blind if you think he wouldnt have bellowed from the roof tops about it.
Do you really think Brady would have developed like he did under Ryan, or that the attention BB gave Brady wouldn't have made Sanchez grow at least a little?

He probably could have done better in the locker room. That's one of his flaws.

Probably? It was among the most dysfunctional locker rooms in the NFL, and his blow hard nature caused it.

Give me an example of how he got horrendous coaching? What's the difference between horrendous coaching and horrendous playing or decision-making?
He came into the NFL after one season of college ball, and never improved.
Decision making is coached.

I never said to give him credit for anything. I said that to pin the problems of an entire franchise on the HC is misleading. Having a horrendous GM has something to do with it as well.
He is what his record is. I am not 'pinning' anything on him, I am assessing the job he did, which was poor.
Rather than accepting that you are giving him excuses. I just don't get that. By your standard no NFL HC has ever done a bad job, because it can be blamed on someone else.

Dude, no one here is pinning all the problems of the franchise on the head coach. And no one in this thread did so. It was never mentioned until you actually brought it up and started saying that people here were doing this? Please show me where someone in this thread did this prior to your post.

My comments were restricted to that of the head coach and his duties in said position. Nothing more. Tanny was as dreadful a GM as Rex is a head coach. That is why I was so sad to see him go and why I don't want Rex to get fired.

All I spoke of were head coaching decisions.

1. Undisciplined pay on the field.
2. poor clock management skills
3. Poor in game decision making. (inserting Sanchez into game late in a meaningless pre season game which resulted in the Jets losing their starter and forcing them to rely on a rookie who is in way over his head)

Noe of the above are in the realm of the idiot owner or incompetent GM. Just a bad head coach.

He's been a terrible head coach, and he should have been fired a couple of years ago. That being said, I'd like to register my vote for Marty Mornhinweg as the next Jets head coach. I love what he's been doing with that offense.

Bring him to New England. He'd be a better D-coordinator than Patricia

I want Ryan fired and drummed out of the league. Why are my grand kids exposed to this open deviant degenerate and his sexual fetishes? Why do they have to witness this scumbag's tawdry sex life dragged out in the newspapers and media? Why do they have to ask granddad if mommy and daddy play with mommy's toes at night when the doors are closed to their bedroom? He's a sick **** ,a disgusting human pig of a being, a total coward throwing everyone under the bus for HIS scumbag decisions to cheat (Alosi) and openly profane in public, in front of anyone's children...yours , mine..anybody's....

Rex%2BRyan%2BMiddle%2BFinger.jpg

He was the biggest Sanchez supporter. Of course he could have played a different QB. And if he was being forced to play him against his will you are blind if you think he wouldnt have bellowed from the roof tops about it.
Do you really think Brady would have developed like he did under Ryan, or that the attention BB gave Brady wouldn't have made Sanchez grow at least a little?

What else could he have done? Bench Sanchez against the GM and owner's wishes?

Of course he is going to toe the company line. Bellowing from the rooftops would have gotten him canned.

He came into the NFL after one season of college ball, and never improved.
Decision making is coached.

Decision making is coached, but doesn't mean that it is always executed on the field. I doubt the buttfumble was coached in any way.

He is what his record is. I am not 'pinning' anything on him, I am assessing the job he did, which was poor.
Rather than accepting that you are giving him excuses. I just don't get that. By your standard no NFL HC has ever done a bad job, because it can be blamed on someone else.

How many times have I said it? I am not giving him excuses. I am saying that to pin all the problems of that franchise on him is silly because there was a horrible manager, and an owner that was far more interested in selling PSL's.

Rex wants to win these last games in hopes he'll save his job. So he pulled out the big gun of motivational tactics. Sometimes this works if your players like you enough. We'll see if it does work.

Of course he is going to toe the company line. Bellowing from the rooftops would have gotten him canned.

Decision making is coached, but doesn't mean that it is always executed on the field. I doubt the buttfumble was coached in any way.

How many times have I said it? I am not giving him excuses. I am saying that to pin all the problems of that franchise on him is silly because there was a horrible manager, and an owner that was far more interested in selling PSL's.

Sanchez was Ryan's hand-picked choice.

i want ryan fired and drummed out of the league. Why are my grand kids exposed to this open deviant degenerate and his sexual fetishes? Why do they have to witness this scumbag's tawdry sex life dragged out in the newspapers and media? Why do they have to ask granddad if mommy and daddy play with mommy's toes at night when the doors are closed to their bedroom? He's a sick **** ,a disgusting human pig of a being, a total coward throwing everyone under the bus for his scumbag decisions to cheat (alosi) and openly profane in public, in front of anyone's children...yours , mine..anybody's....

rex%2bryan%2bmiddle%2bfinger.jpg

love this!!!!

Ryan inherited a team that had been 8-3 prior to Favre getting injured. He was handed an improving defense with a young Derelle Revis. He was able to ride that defense to a pair of lucky AFCCG appearances, one happening after he, himself, had written off his team in the regular season.

He's been terrible as a head coach, and we've been lucky to have him there.

You are making that up.
Ryan has been Sanchez' biggest supporter.
Are you telling me that if a coach thinks his QB stinks and tells that to the GM and owner that they will tell him to shut up and be happy with the guy?
This is same GM and owner that have to give Sanchez more money for his ego after they pursued replacing him?

If what you descried was happening, why would he care.
Your argument is now:
Ryan knew Sanchez sucked.
Ryan had no accountability for his lack of development.
Ryan told the owner and GM Sanchez sucked, and they said too bad.
Ryan decided to keep quiet about that because they might fire him.

That just isnt realistic.

I am talking about his 5 year development. There was none, he learned nothing. You reducing that to the butt fumble indicates you understand that and want to get away from the fact.

You are arguing that his record and the dysfunction and failure of the team isn't his fault.
Who is 'blaming all the problems on him'?
Certainly not me. I am saying he sucked. Every coach has problems to deal with and overcome. He didn't have any more than most coaches, and he has failed.

Bring him to New England. He'd be a better D-coordinator than Patricia

No he wouldnt.
Both since he arrived and over the last 3 years, the Jets have allowed more points, had fewer takeaways and fewer sacks than the Patriots defense.
For the last 3 years the Pats 7th in points allowed, and the Jets are 21st.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back