PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jay Cutler Implications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriplecHamp

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The Bronco's are now taking offers for Jay Cutler. What are the Implications for the Pats and possible tallent now slipping into reach if he is dealt?

I cant post links yet but check ESPN for details.

Josh Daniels next text to Jay Cutler should go something like This pybagtfooh!!! You've been traded BI@#$h!!!

I think this will affect the free agency market more than it would affect the draft.

Teams that make a move on Cutler may have to shed talent to fit him in their cap structure...let's see what shakes from the tree.

Hopefully this pushes all the QB's (Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman) toward the teens, and a team like the Bears,Redskins, Broncos, Jets, Bucs, or Vikings to bite sending a OT, LB, CB Within our Reach.

I think this will affect the free agency market more than it would affect the draft.

Teams that make a move on Cutler may have to shed talent to fit him in their cap structure...let's see what shakes from the tree.

He has a salary of $1.5 million.

Speaking of QBs, there's an outside possibility that McNabb could be traded by draft day. No-not saying it'll happen for certain, but a recent Matt Mosley blog said how he's still angry over his benching last Nov, and rumors have swirled that he gave the FO an ultimatum to give him some playmakers.

Overall-looks like a number of teams could use a QB pretty badly. It wouldn't surprise me if teams like the Jets, Vikings, Browns, etc will trade for a Cutler or McNabb, even if it means giving away the kitchen sink, b/c they're pretty darn desperate.

FOR SALE
Low mileage (non-Ford) Broncho
Moving sale (must move by NFL Draft April 25)
Dependable QB but creaks, rattles and moans abit.
Low cost - 3 years left on original contract warranty
Contact Scott McDaniels in Denver immediately

FOR SALE
Low mileage (non-Ford) Broncho
Moving sale (must move by NFL Draft April 25)
Dependable QB but creaks, rattles and moans abit.
Low cost - 3 years left on original contract warranty
Contact Scott McDaniels in Denver immediately

lol brilliant:D

PERSONAL AD
Single White Male, age 25
Denver area - (Willing to relocate!)
Looking for ‘Fun on the gridiron’ with that special someone(s).

Stable honest relationship
Monogamy

Dislikes:
Dishonesty
Confrontation
partner with a 'roving eye'

You must be:
Male
NFL Head Coach
Not named ‘Josh’
Honest
Sympathetic
Willing to make me feel special
Want to spend your whole NFL career with me

If interested, please contact agent Bus Cook immediately

Last edited:
PERSONAL AD
Single White Male, age 25
Denver area - (Willing to relocate!)
Looking for ‘Fun on the gridiron’ with that special someone(s).

Stable honest relationship
Monogamy

Dislikes:
Dishonesty
Confrontation
partner with a 'roving eye'

You must be:
Male
NFL Head Coach
Not named ‘Josh’
Honest
Sympathetic
Willing to make me feel special
Want to spend your whole NFL career with me

If interested, please contact agent Bus Cook immediately
Willingness to let me run the team, dictate the coaching staff, and kiss my ringless fingers a must. Cash and lots of it also helps. Must not be a results oriented guy.

Actually this might really affect the Patriots.

Denver was the one team that was very likely to pick Maualuga before the Pats. 12 was about the earliest he could go, but Denver badly needs an inside linebacker.

But now you'd have to think Denver takes Sanchez or Stafford if they're there, leaving open the possibility that Maualuga slides.

Actually this might really affect the Patriots.

Denver was the one team that was very likely to pick Maualuga before the Pats. 12 was about the earliest he could go, but Denver badly needs an inside linebacker.

But now you'd have to think Denver takes Sanchez or Stafford if they're there, leaving open the possibility that Maualuga slides.
I can't wait for the USC Pro Day.

There's no implications until there's a trade. If Cutler goes for no QB that changes things one way - if they get Brady Quinn it changes another way. It's totally unknown right now.

I was watching total accsess on NFL network and they were talking about how pretty soon you will have to by tickets to the USC Pro Day.

A couple of interest articles on CNNSI today on the Cutler saga. First, from Andrew Perloff:

Second, from Don Banks re possible destinations for Cutler:

New York Jets, Cleveland Browns most motivated to land Jay Cutler - Don Banks - SI.com

I think the top 4 are the most likely destinations (the Jets, Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Detroit). If Cleveland wants Cutler they have the best ammo to get a deal done, because I think McDaniels would jump at the chance to get rid of Cutler and get Brady Quinn. In a mock earlier today I suggested that Denver trade Cutler and #12 to Cleveland for Quinn, #5, #36 and a 2010 1st rounder. The swap of 1sts would allow Denver to get BJ Raji, and would be worth around 500 points. Assuming Quinn for #36 is reasonable, that would give Denver 500 points + a 2010 1st for Cutler, which is less than they might have gotten for him but reasonable given their need to move him and that they would get a decent QB for McDaniels to develop out of it. Cleveland would still have #36 and 48 to target additional players in the 2nd round.

SF at #10 might be an option as well, though I think Stafford and Sanchez will both go earlier than #10, and I don't see SF as being nearly as motivated to go after Cutler.

Here's another read, from Bill Williamson at ESPN:

Where could Cutler end up? - AFC West - ESPN

Quinn, Shaun Rogers, a 2010 1st and an exchange of the #5 and #12 picks would be an interesting deal. Denver could get Orapko or possibly even Aaron Curry at #5 (KC might be willing to trade back for the #48 pick given their lack of a 2nd rounder) to go along with a QB and a 3-4 DT, plus a 2010 1st. Cleveland might be able to get Ron Brace at #36 to replace Rogers in the middle with the pick they save.

I can see the Jets being mad for Cutler, but they don't have as much to offer. I could only see #17 and a 2010 1st, but that would leave Denver without a good long-term solution at QB.

Here's another read, from Bill Williamson at ESPN:

Where could Cutler end up? - AFC West - ESPN

Quinn, Shaun Rogers, a 2010 1st and an exchange of the #5 and #12 picks would be an interesting deal. Denver could get Orapko or possibly even Aaron Curry at #5 (KC might be willing to trade back for the #48 pick given their lack of a 2nd rounder) to go along with a QB and a 3-4 DT, plus a 2010 1st. Cleveland might be able to get Ron Brace at #36 to replace Rogers in the middle with the pick they save.

I can see the Jets being mad for Cutler, but they don't have as much to offer. I could only see #17 and a 2010 1st, but that would leave Denver without a good long-term solution at QB.

Cousins, listening to the latest, they said Josh really wants Sanchez. Trading with Detroit for #1 would make it happen but who wants #1 (there is something wrong with that!). They say Seattle may go Sanchez at #4. So we go to St.Louis who does not have a dog in that fight or ironically K.C. So Pioli and Josh have to find partners. The Lions have the most ammo. It would be sweet justice to send the crybaby there.

A reasonable trade would be the Lions give up their Cowboy bounty from their fantastic WR trade of Roy Williams #20 and #82 and their own #33 for Cutler.

Josh then trades his Denver #12 and the Lions #33 for the Chiefs #3 to get Sanchez. A first and an early second for dropping down 9 slots in the first round is a Pioli/BB move for K.C. The draft point value number is not the difference it used to be because of crazy top ten dollars.

The Broncos get Sanchez and pick up a third rounder #82 for losing Cutler. Fair?? But they get the guy Josh wants who will not be there at #12.

The Lions keep their #1 and their #65 and get Cutler. So in essence , for Williams and a second rounder they get a Pro Bowl QB.

I think then Seattle now goes for Stafford at #4.

The only caveat is Josh takes #1 off the Lions hands for Cutler and pays Sanchez $30m. He still keeps his #12.

Biggest winner? Pioli. He's then 2 and 0 so far.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes