PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jax: Abbreviated Break Down

Kickoff: Hobbs from the 11, 18 yd return. Ellis started running east and west when he hit the blocking line - he needed to just punch it into the line and he’d have had another 3-5 yds - if he didn’t skitter through.

1st and 10 NE 29: 3 wide, 2 right, TE left. Play-action pass, Branch, overthrown, incomplete. Deion was in a gap in the zone, and Tommy was trying to lob it to him. Good blocking again. Jax 4-2 nickel.

2nd and 10 NE 29: Shotgun, 3 wide, 2 right, TE flanked left. Pass, Faulk, underneath, 21 yds. Jax was in a 3-3 nickel, the LLB came unblocked - blocking assignment snafu as Watson blew by him and Kaczur doubled the LDE with Mankins. Okay, rewatching in slow motion, Jax sends all three LBs, and Faulk cutting through the line is wide open - for lack of a better name, this looks like a kind of naked screen where you suck all the defenders in on a pass rush, but you don’t have any blockers screening the receiver.

1st and 10 @ 50: No huddle, Shotgun, 3 wide, 2 left, TE flanked right. Strip sack, Tommy recovers, loss of 4 yds. Jax in 3-3 nickel. NE TO - their last.

Now I understand why Gorin is having so much trouble - No.97 for Jax has been the guy driving him back and making life miserable, Reggie Hayward. If I remember right, he had 11 sacks with Denver last season. Poor Brandon is just struggling against a guy who would give anyone fits.

2nd and 14 NE 46: Shotgun, 3 wide, 2 right, TE flanked left. Pass, Branch, post route, incomplete. The infamous disappearing ball play. Watching the ABC replay again, Deion was going to make the end zone if he caught that ball. Trying to lower his re-signing value I guess. Tommy had great protection.

3rd and 14 NE 46: Shotgun, 3 wide, 2 right, TE flanked right. Sacked, 1 yard loss. Jax in a 3-2 dime. Coverage sack, Tommy went down at 5 Mississippi, tackled from behind by the LB whom Faulk picked-up well, he was just thrown off after the LB pushed him back past the edge of the O-line and could manuever.

End of the half.

Last edited:
Bump. Great work, Box.

Bump again. I'm still working on getting the last few drives in the .htm file.

From there, it'll be a blitz on my part to finish up the game. I did the 3rd quarter in the traditional format, as most of the action did take place there.

I'll try to get it done by tomorrow night, and hopefully it can be up by Saturday as an appetizer!

Beisel wasn't quite Ted Johnson splitting helmets, nor Tedy Bruschi sliding by, under, over, and around blockers to fill a hole, nor Mike Vrabel playing a 260 pound power game mixed with a football genius finess game - but I saw elements of all three in what will be a unique playing style we're going to enjoy a lot in the future. Looking back through the break down, I noted three times he plugged hole - twice taking on double teams - and they stayed plugged. His technique, strength, and reads have all improved - I do believe the lad is starting to 'get it'.

Mankins is starting to dominate, he’s quick on his feet and covers a lot of ground. He is very aware of what is happening with Kaczur and twice in the first half passed his block to Hochstein and went to rescue Kaczur. This guy has monster written all over him.

David Givens and Troy Brown blocking upfield, sweet! I saw some good blocking by Bam in the Miami game, if we can only keep Troy another year to work with Bam....we could have a 'Bam Brown' legacy. Now if Davis can learn to block like D-Giv.

Deion Branch looked like Tim Dwight on Faulks 18 yd run - he took off on a hot pattern with the CB running hard to stay with him - by the time the CB knew it was a run play Faulk was ducking by him out of bounds and the safety was plowing over his CB buddy just like someone we used to know.

Watson’s blocking is starting to look like Graham’s - he’s putting people on the ground, painfully. He really surprised me with his blocking in that game, pleasantly for me watching, but there are some Jacksonville players in the ice bath.

In the first series, despite Neal’s holding and obvious nervousness, Stroud, Seymours 6’6†312 lb highly paid pro-bowl buddy, was pancaked once each by Hochstein and Neal. He played a little slower after that. Our interior line is pretty good, I think Neal is having a bit of a sophmore slump (he's really only played two years), get him re-signed and back under Dante's wing - we are going to be able to use Deion at Center because Mankins and Neal will OWN the middle.

Tommy had all day to throw, Jacksonville had good coverage and the sacks came off the coverage. Whatever scheme Jacksonville was using in the secondary, look for Denver to implement something similar to see if Tommy and the receivers have worked on beating that coverage.

Faulk is priceless, his running and receiving we can all see, but his pass blocking and blitz pick-up is the best of the RBs in my opinion. He fought linebackers blitzing in and kept them off Tommy for a 4 Mississippi count each time.

Jacksonville stuck with the nickel package whenever Faulk was in, it allowed him more opportunity to bust one running or receiving. They switched back and forth from the base 4-3 to the nickel when Cory was in, trying to out-guess McDaniels. Cory puts teams off balance.

Dillon isn’t making yards off change of directions or anything that makes him cut, if he picks a hole early and slams into it, the line was getting him 4-5 yds UP THE MIDDLE against the pro-bowl DTs Jacksonville features. Pound him against Denver, give them some pain.

The blocking on the scoring drive was beautiful. :woohoo:

pats1 said:
Bump again. I'm still working on getting the last few drives in the .htm file.

From there, it'll be a blitz on my part to finish up the game. I did the 3rd quarter in the traditional format, as most of the action did take place there.

I'll try to get it done by tomorrow night, and hopefully it can be up by Saturday as an appetizer!
That's the ticket! I could use an appetizer about then, and considering all the good things I saw in the first half when we barely scored, the second should be sweet!

Here, donkey, donkey, donkey, come get the nice carrot..... :eek:

With Watson's blocking:

I haven't seen the same, unfortunately.

1st and 10 NE 19

Result: Run, Dillon, left guard, 1 yd.

Offense: 3 WR, Branch wide right, Givens wide left, Watson left slot, Fauria TE down off LT, Dillon lone RB.

Defense: 4-3, LOLB over Watson in the slot, CBs pressure coverage.

Blocking: Watson aggressively pursues the LOLB, but can’t catch up in time to make a block, however the run is through the line and not towards the unblocked LOLB

Analysis: Dillon had no hole to run through with Henderson basically acting as a traditional nose tackle, and had to just dive through and hope there would be a positive yard gain. With Watson and Gorin unable to block their men on the edge, there was no bounce outside option available.

2nd and 8 NE 38

Result: Run, Dillon, up the middle, 2 yds.

Offense: 3 WR, Davis wide left, Brown left slot, Branch wide right, Watson TE down off LT, Dillon lone RB.

Defense: 3-3-5 nickel, DL shifted weak side, LOLB pressure coverage on Watson, ROLB closer to line than Peterson, over RG, all 3 CBs pressure coverage.

Blocking: Watson can’t get control of Daryl Smith, the LOLB, and allows Smith to make the tackle on Dillon

Analysis: Watson was unable to sustain any type of block on the LOLB in coverage over him, of whom started the tackle. Hochstein was also unable to control the NT after Neal broke off and he himself unable to stop Peterson in time, and along with Gorin’s mishap on the edge, the 4 Jaguars tacklers were able to finish off the tackle Daryl Smith started.

1st and 10 Jax 45

Result: Run, Faulk, right guard, 6 yds.

Offense: 3 WR, Davis wide left, Brown right slot, Branch wide right, Watson TE down off LT, Faulk lone RB.

Defense: 3-3-5 nickel, LOLB pressure coverage over Watson left wing, ROLB closer to line than MLB Peterson, all 3 CBs pressure coverage.

Blocking: Watson can’t get downfield enough to block the LOLB Daryl Smith, with Kaczur in his way as Smith already has Faulk in his grasp

Analysis: Great blocking by the offensive line here, with Watson the rotten apple. Nice 6 yard gain on 2nd down to open things up.

2nd and 4 Jax 39

Result: Run, Faulk, right tackle, 5 yds.

Offense: 3 WR, Davis wide left, Brown right slot, Branch wide right, Watson TE down off LT, Faulk lone RB.

Defense: 3-3-5 nickel, LOLB pressure coverage over Watson left wing, ROLB closer to line than MLB Peterson, all 3 CBs pressure coverage.

Blocking: Watson drives the LOLB downfield, ahead of the play, but will lose control as the tackle was made, with the LOLB ready if Faulk was to beak free

Analysis: Hochstein’s inability to drive the NT wide enough to create any hole presented the need for Faulk to lower his shoulder in order to gain the necessary yardage for the first down, which he did barely despite Neal’s loss of control on the ROLB Ayodele, who made the lead tackle. The left side of the hole also started to collapse with Kaczur’s block dragging inside, and the DE eventually falling on top of Faulk for security. Still a first down due to the gritty running of Kevin Faulk.

There were also a handful of good blocks too, although they were, for the most part, away from the run.

I'm impressed by his receiving skills, though.

Mike, I'll have to watch the second half to see what he was doing differently, what you noted is the kind of stuff we've seen in his earlier games, I was really surprised to see the blocks he made in the first half.

He is going to be a top flight receiver as he gets more seasoning. We are going to be very glad we drafted him.

After a long evening of copying, pasting, and editing, the 1st half is finally done!

Some great Analysis here guys! keep it up

I don't have access to any source ... that can compete with direct, informed, detailed analysis like this ... with the play-by-play serving the role of scholarly footnotes.

Box could be a doctoral candidate in football somewhere ... with skills like he has been developing!

flutie2phelan said:
I don't have access to any source ... that can compete with direct, informed, detailed analysis like this ... with the play-by-play serving the role of scholarly footnotes.

Box could be a doctoral candidate in football somewhere ... with skills like he has been developing!

Holy Homework Batman! :bricks:

Box_O_Rocks said:
JaxD6

4th and 22 Jax 18: 46 yd punt, Dwight 27 yd return. Good blocking, Poteat, Stone, Don Davis, Troy, Izzo all could be seen creating the lane.
I got to see a different angle from NFL Network's Game of the Week program, add TBC to the great block listing - I know there were others, I just couldn't read the numbers - great effort by the punt return team, too bad Dwight wasn't a high hurdler in college or that was a TD.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
I got to see a different angle from NFL Network's Game of the Week program

Yeah, thanks for reminding me. :D

pats1 said:
Yeah, thanks for reminding me. :D
In case you missed it I did it with a straight face. :rolleyes:

3rd quarter is now completely done.

As an interesting tidbit, the Jaguars did not come out of Shotgun 3/4/5 WR sets, and the Patriots did not come out of Nickel/Dime sets the ENTIRE 3rd quarter. Not once.

Hank Poteat

Watching the NFL Network's Game of the Week program, our 5'10" Talisman of Perseverance was shown defending a pass to Jax's 6'4" WR Wilford, who used his height to get the ball, and lost it when he came down and Hank was there to attack his hands and knock the ball away. Sweet play, Hank gives up 31 lbs to Wilford.

Pats1, I'm watching a Dillon run up the middle where Watson lost control of the DE who came in laterally and made the tackle. Disappointing, but he just did a nice job on the MLB 2 plays later - this is when Madden shows everyone the practice pass rush paddles.

Ha, Madden is making a big deal about MLB Mike Peterson, right after Mankins set him on his can the play before. :rofl:

Box_O_Rocks said:
Hank Poteat

Watching the NFL Network's Game of the Week program, our 5'10" Talisman of Perseverance was shown defending a pass to Jax's 6'4" WR Wilford, who used his height to get the ball, and lost it when he came down and Hank was there to attack his hands and knock the ball away. Sweet play, Hank gives up 31 lbs to Wilford.

Pats1, I'm watching a Dillon run up the middle where Watson lost control of the DE who came in laterally and made the tackle. Disappointing, but he just did a nice job on the MLB 2 plays later - this is when Madden shows everyone the practice pass rush paddles.
Thanks Box, for recapping the play Hank made mentioned in the Hank Poteat Fan Club Update!:D

Second Half

Kickoff: Alexis 11 yd. return from Jax 10 to Jax 21
Alexis will get bumped into from behind as the ball comes in by Wimbush, a miscommunication, and Alexis will have to pick up the ball in front of him before Andre’ Davis twirls him down
Defensive Series #3 Punt

Contributor: Box_o_Rocks
Time: 15:00 remaining in the third quarter
Statistics: 4 plays (0 run, 4 pass), 14 yards (0 run, 14 pass), time of possession was 1:05
Breakdown: 3 green plays (0 run, 3 pass) for 0 yds. (0 run, 0 pass), 0 black plays for 0 yds., 1 red play (0 run, 1 pass) for 14 yds. (0 run, 14 pass)

1st and 10 Jax 21

Result: Pass, M. Jones, 15 yard out, 14 yds.
Offense: Shotgun 3 WR, 2 right, 1 left, TE down off RT, RB Taylor to right of Leftwich in shotgun.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, Colvin-Seymour-Wilfork-McGinest line, Vrabel strong side, closer to line than C. Brown, all 3 CBs pressure coverage.
Blocking: Colvin can’t get around the LT and LG on the edge
Seymour can’t spin around the LG and C
Wilfork pushes the RG around but doesn’t get penetration
McGinest is chipped by the TE before engaging with the RT and almost getting lose, but is only able to get an arm up in time
Coverage: Vrabel covers the TE’s drag route from behind
C. Brown picks up Taylor from behind out of the backfield, into a route to the right flat
Poteat has the slot WR covered tightly to the sideline in a short out
Samuel drops back behind M. Jones’ route, but can’t cut quick enough on the cut out and the throw is too wide for Samuel to make a play on, only to dive from behind and push Jones out

Analysis: Perfect throw here from Leftwich, with the big Matt Jones able to sustain his footing with Samuel diving from behind to secure the catch. The coverage wasn’t bad, but Samuel could have been quicker on the cut out.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

1st and 10 Jax 35

Result: Pass, K. Brady, Incomplete, 2 yard desperation shovel under pressure from Colvin.
Offense: Shotgun 3 WR, 2 left, 1 right, TE down off LT, RB Taylor to left of Leftwich in shotgun.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, Colvin-Seymour-Wilfork-McGinest line, all 3 CBs pressure coverage.
Blocking: Colvin won’t be engaged by the TE before faking the LT outside then coming back inside, around Taylor, standing around in the backfield, before chasing down Leftwich from behind, forcing the quick shovel
Seymour beats the LG outside but slides and is pushed to the ground from behind by the LG, behind the play
Wilfork can’t get around the C and RG
McGinest rides the RT outside and can’t follow Leftwich from behind as the RG slides out and blocks McGinest as he doubles back to follow the scramble by Leftwich
Coverage: Vrabel follows the TE lightly from behind, trails K. Brady when the shovel pass falls incomplete
C. Brown follows Taylor, who got caught up in the Seymour slide, out of the backfield underneath
Samuel, Hobbs, and Poteat all bring their men deep (10+ yards), keeping in tight coverage from behind

Analysis: Great penetration on Colvin’s part here, not allowing Brady, Barnes, or Taylor to engage in blocks and then barreling towards Leftwich to force the throw to the only short route, the shovel pass dropping to the ground behind Brady.

2nd and 10 Jax 35

Result: Pass, Pearman, Incomplete, 5 yard out, ball jarred loose by C. Brown.
Offense: Shotgun 3 WR, 2 left, 1 right, TE hands-on-knees left wing, RB Pearman to right of Leftwich in shotgun.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, Colvin-Seymour-Wilfork-McGinest line, all 3 CBs pressure coverage.
Blocking: Colvin won’t bother engaging with the TE, LT, and LG all ready to block
Seymour fakes to the outside of the LG before spinning and beating the LG back inside, but Seymour will once again be pushed/slip and fall to the ground
Wilfork begins to beat the C outside, but only has time to get a hand up, one that came close to tipping the ball
McGinest rides the RT outside, and can only graze Leftwich’s back from behind with fingertips before being pushed away
Coverage: Vrabel will come up almost in a blitz look, but stop and watch the play once he sees the TE blocking Colvin and not coming out in a route
C. Brown drops back and watches Pearman come out, and will come up and slam Pearman to the ground just after ball contact to Pearman’s hands, popping the ball loose in the process
Poteat jostles with the slot WR before following in a short out pattern
Samuel and Hobbscover 10+ yard routes

Analysis: Here’s how things went: 1) Pearman catches the ball with his outstretched arms 2) Chad Brown nails Pearman straight-on a split second later 3) The ball is seen rolling around a few feet away from Pearman once Brown finishes the slam-down.

3rd and 10 Jax 35

Result: Pass, J. Smith, Incomplete, 10 yard post, pass broken up by Samuel.
Offense: Shotgun 3 WR, 2 stack left wing, 1 right, TE hands-on-knees left wing, RB Pearman to right of Leftwich in shotgun.
Defense: 3-3-5 nickel, Seymour-Green-McGinest line, Colvin and Wilson showing blitz left wing, Hawkins will come running up on the snap, blitzing, Samuel pressure coverage before back-stepping to about 5 yards off the line just before the snap, other two CBs 10 yards off the stack.
Blocking: Colvin will blitz but not engage in a block with the readied TE
Wilsoncomes in on a blitz but is picked up by the RB
Vrabel blitzes but is picked up by the LT
Seymour initially chipped around by the LG before slowly stunting behind Green as the pass is thrown
Green can’t get too much penetration on the C
Brown blitzes but is picked up by the RG
Hawkins blitzes unblocked, and forces the hasty throw from Leftwich, with Hawkins’ arms up in Leftwich’s face
McGinest rides the RT outside without any penetration
Coverage: Samuel will continue with the backstep that started pre-snap before following Smith’s tight post, where Samuel gets an arm in Smith’s chest to keep the ball out

Analysis: It’s tough to tell by the replay if Samuel actually tipped the ball down or just hit Smith’s arm to get the ball to drop incomplete, but either way it was great man-to-man coverage with no safety help. All it took was for 1 blitz to be effective here, and that was Hawkins. There were 8 blitzers/rushers on 7 rushers.

4th and 10 Jax 35

Result: Punt, Hanson, to the NE 19, the punt bounces off Dwight’s chest and out of bounds just before he is hammered to the ground by a Jaguar, 46 yd. punt, 0 yd. return.

Score: New England 7 – Jacksonville 3

Offensive Series #7 Touchdown

Contributor: Pats1
Time: 13:55 remaining in the third quarter
Statistics: 12 plays (7 run, 5 pass), 81 yards (30 run, 51 pass), time of possession was 6:42
Breakdown: 7 green plays (3 run, 4 pass) for 76 yds. (24 run, 52 pass), 0 black plays for 0 yds., 5 red plays (4 run, 1 pass) for 6 yds. (6 run, 0 pass)

1st and 10 NE 19

Result: Run, Dillon, left guard, 1 yd.
Offense: 3 WR, Branch wide right, Givens wide left, Watson left slot, Fauria TE down off LT, Dillon lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, LOLB over Watson in the slot, CBs pressure coverage.
Blocking: Watson aggressively pursues the LOLB, but can’t catch up in time to make a block, however the run is through the line and not towards the unblocked LOLB
Fauria chips a DE before coming out and laying a light block on the MLB
Kaczur, while not in full control, is able to keep the DE just wide of Dillon until the tackle is being made
Mankins and Hochstein are able to control Henderson, but with sways left and right, temporarily clogging up Dillon’s hole and forcing the dive through the line for a single yard
Neal holds Stroud, for the most part, away from the run
Gorin simply can’t control the DE on the edge after a quick push, but Dillon is already on the ground on the other side of the line before that DE can get over there

Analysis: Dillon had no hole to run through with Henderson basically acting as a traditional nose tackle, and had to just dive through and hope there would be a positive yard gain. With Watson and Gorin unable to block their men on the edge, there was no bounce outside option available.

2nd and 9 NE 20

Result: Pass, Branch, quick slant, 16 yds.
Offense: Shotgun 5 WR, Branch wide left, Watson left wing, Fauria right wing, Givens right slot, Dillon wide right (in motion from to the right of Brady).
Defense: 4-3, ROLB pressure coverage over Givens in the slot, MLB and LOLB 4 yards over the TEs on the wings, CB on Branch pressure coverage, CB on Dillon 5 yards off the line.
Blocking: Kaczur tries to chop the DE but totally misses, with the DE just pulling around and barreling toward Brady unblocked, with Brady making the throw just before getting smashed down
Mankins has to help Hochstein block Stroud after Henderson stunts behind Stroud, without any penetration from either
Hochstein slides left with Stroud, where Mankins helps out
Neal chips Stroud off the snap before picking up the stunting Henderson and Gorin’s DE
Gorin chops in front of a DE, with the DE just standing still to miss the chop before he’s unblocked, however Brady, under pressure, has already thrown it
Coverage: Branch fakes his CB outside before slanting inside, with the CB dropping off, and Branch catching the quick pass from Brady, stuttering in front of the safeties before diving into them
Watson takes a 10 yard out, drawing coverage from the LOLB and Branch’s CB
Fauria does a 5 yard out, drawing coverage from the MLB
Givens takes a short out, drawing coverage from the ROLB
Dillon takes it down the sideline, drawing coverage from a CB

Analysis: For whatever reason, the CB on Branch dropped back after the fake from Branch, possibly thinking deep, and Branch simply turned into the wide open center of the field to catch the bullet from Brady and scoot it up for an additional 12 yards or so. While Kaczur’s chop was completely ineffective in stopping or even slowing the DE, Brady would have most likely gone with Branch’s quick slant anyway, especially with 2 unblocked rushers on the other side of the line coming in and only Neal ready to stop them.

1st and 10 NE 36

Result: Run, Dillon, right guard, 2 yds.
Offense: 3 WR, Givens wide left, Watson right slot, Branch wide right, Fauria TE down off LT, Dillon lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, LBs shaded towards weak side, ROLB 5 yards off Watson in the slot, CBs pressure coverage
Blocking: Fauria drives a DE inside, towards the linebackers
Kaczur drives Henderson downfield, ahead of the run
Mankins chips Henderson before being pushed back into Dillon by the LOLB, who will help Stroud with the tackle
Hochstein helps Neal drive Stroud right, out of the hole, before riding Peterson, who was coming in, wide of the run
Neal can’t control Stroud after Hochstein’s chip, and will be shed and thrown to the ground ahead of the run, as Stroud wraps up Dillon by the ankles
Gorin holds the edge against a DE
Watson holds a block against the ROLB to the right of the run

Analysis: Neal simply wasn’t able to control Stroud on this play. Dillon had nowhere to run.

2nd and 8 NE 38

Result: Timeout, New England – 2 remaining in second half.
Offense: Shotgun 5 WR, Brown wide left, Dillon left slot (in motion from to the left of Brady), Branch left wing, Watson right wing, Davis wide right.
Defense: 3-3-5 nickel, ROLB pressure coverage on Watson right wing, all 3 CBs pressure coverage.

Analysis: After Dillon went in motion, Brady walked up to make some adjustments, noticed the play clock nearing zero, and called the timeout.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back