PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jaworski down on Chad Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.ronjaworski.com/free_jaws_bites.php

"I think he is overrated. I studied him and I saw a wide receiver who didn't run routes well, didn't adjust well to coverage, didn't go up and get the ball. He has top-end speed and that's great, but there is a lot more to playing the position. I don't think he's a first-round pick. I didn't see a good hand-eye coordination, and I saw a guy who was looking for contact too much when he ran inside routes."

Even in highlight films Jackson seems to cringe before contact...

PonyExpress said:
http://www.ronjaworski.com/free_jaws_bites.php

"I think he is overrated. I studied him and I saw a wide receiver who didn't run routes well, didn't adjust well to coverage, didn't go up and get the ball. He has top-end speed and that's great, but there is a lot more to playing the position. I don't think he's a first-round pick. I didn't see a good hand-eye coordination, and I saw a guy who was looking for contact too much when he ran inside routes."

Even in highlight films Jackson seems to cringe before contact...

Sounds like a scouting report on Bethel Johnson.

Except Johnson's been in the league 3 years.

Watching him in the gauntlet drill at the Combine that was the impression I came away with as he was weaving to set himself better for the throw, instead of just reacting to the ball like a Hass or Avant. There was a reason Hass and Avant are known as possession WRs, they go get the ball instead of running away from it.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Watching him in the gauntlet drill at the Combine that was the impression I came away with as he was weaving to set himself better for the throw, instead of just reacting to the ball like a Hass or Avant. There was a reason Hass and Avant are known as possession WRs, they go get the ball instead of running away from it.

Nice observation Box! Gonna start calling you the DaTerminator pretty soon!!:D Thanks and keep it coming!

PatsChick87 said:
Nice observation Box!
Actually, it was obvious to anyone watching, especially as Mike Mayock specifically pointed it out :D Something worth knowing for those who couldn't watch though. Avant looked the best in that drilll and Hass looked good too. Unfortunately they didn't show Greg Jennings, unless I missed it so it's tough know how he looked.

BelichickFan said:
Actually, it was obvious to anyone watching, especially as Mike Mayock specifically pointed it out :D Something worth knowing for those who couldn't watch though. Avant looked the best in that drilll and Hass looked good too. Unfortunately they didn't show Greg Jennings, unless I missed it so it's tough know how he looked.
I usually watch with the surround sound on and the TV turned off, I get more out of it that way! :D

I'd have to dig deep in my notes to see if I saw Jennings run, it ticked me off to no end to have all this sideshow host garbage instead of something constructive like an intern off camera identifying the players and reporting the drill's purpose. I wrote them and asked them to record the players drills with interns reading a script and identifying the player for us, and play it overnight so we could tivo the program. It's not like they don't repeat an occasional program overnight....:rolleyes:

Hass won me again that day because he was the only guy to get in trouble (on his second run) and recover to make a strong run. That and his Shrine Game pushed him ahead of Avant and his Senior Bowl.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'd have to dig deep in my notes to see if I saw Jennings run
They showed a bunch of replays of the combine this weekend but they skipped Greg Jennings' 40 and, I'm sure, his other drills too. I would have like to see him run, they showed Adam Jennings, you could hear Greg being announced next then they skipped on to something else :(

BelichickFan said:
They showed a bunch of replays of the combine this weekend but they skipped Greg Jennings' 40 and, I'm sure, his other drills too. I would have like to see him run, they showed Adam Jennings, you could hear Greg being announced next then they skipped on to something else :(

lol what are your thoughts on another Jennings, Kelly from the U?

bakes781 said:
lol what are your thoughts on another Jennings, Kelly from the U?
Among the smallish CB, I like him better than Tye Hill. Although he got smoked at the Senior Bowl practice by Sinorice Moss - NFL Network replayed that this weekend too. Jennings gave him a huge cushion and Moss beat him easily.

Combine rebroadcast...

I watched the replay of ther Combine drills and it reinforced for me that the best WRs in the draft are going to be Hass and Avant.

Avant is slower than Hass but he may haver a better understanding of offenses as a former QB. OTOH, nobody but nobody, can catch a "bad ball" better than Hass. He has the body control to contort his body quickly to get his hands onto the "uncatchable" ball. Once that is accomplished, nobody has surer hands, but Avant comes close.

Too bad they both couldn't run a forty at .03 hundreths of a second faster, to match Jerry Rice's 4.55. (Smirk smirk!) Hass has only done a 4.58 and Avant a 4.61. If they had, they would likely be the top two first round WRs, that PF2 and company are so desperate to acquire.

Why they seem to want a Tony (BJ) Simmons, I have no idea but they do...

AzPatsFan said:
I watched the replay of ther Combine drills and it reinforced for me that the best WRs in the draft are going to be Hass and Avant.

Avant is slower than Hass but he may haver a better understanding of offenses as a former QB. OTOH, nobody but nobody, can catch a "bad ball" better than Hass. He has the body control to contort his body quickly to get his hands onto the "uncatchable" ball. Once that is accomplished, nobody has surer hands, but Avant comes close.

Too bad they both couldn't run a forty at .03 hundreths of a second faster, to match Jerry Rice's 4.55. (Smirk smirk!) Hass has only done a 4.58 and Avant a 4.61. If they had, they would likely be the top two first round WRs, that PF2 and company are so desperate to acquire.

Why they seem to want a Tony (BJ) Simmons, I have no idea but they do...

40 times for WRs are a joke. Anquan Boldin ran as 4.71, Chad Johnson a 4.57 and Givens a 4.59. As long as he's under 4.8, that's cool...

PonyExpress said:
40 times for WRs are a joke. Anquan Boldin ran as 4.71, Chad Johnson a 4.57 and Givens a 4.59. As long as he's under 4.8, that's cool...

Amen brother. Your preaching to the choir!

BelichickFan said:
Among the smallish CB, I like him better than Tye Hill. Although he got smoked at the Senior Bowl practice by Sinorice Moss - NFL Network replayed that this weekend too. Jennings gave him a huge cushion and Moss beat him easily.

Sorry to change the subject but what CB prospect has the ability to play zone? I've been reading up on the top DB prospects & watching the NFL Network as well. It's seems like the best we can hope for is finding a DB that is coachable, as none appear to have experience in zone coverage.

If you watched the draft challenge they had on ESPN (I forget the actual name of it) you will see just how good of an athlete Chad Jackson is. His hands were unbelievable. I think he could become a big time playmaker for us, especially because we like to throw a lot of quick passes/WR screens. Get the ball in his hands and he can make some people miss. There are a lot of things he needs to work on, especially his route running, but he could be a dynamic playmaker for our team. Not necessarily who I want with our 1st rounder, but I definitely see how it could work.

nickw308810 said:
If you watched the draft challenge they had on ESPN (I forget the actual name of it) you will see just how good of an athlete Chad Jackson is. His hands were unbelievable. I think he could become a big time playmaker for us, especially because we like to throw a lot of quick passes/WR screens. Get the ball in his hands and he can make some people miss. There are a lot of things he needs to work on, especially his route running, but he could be a dynamic playmaker for our team. Not necessarily who I want with our 1st rounder, but I definitely see how it could work.

At the same challenge, did you see Jackson doubled over in pain at his finger being hurt afterwards? It turned out there wasn't anything wrong with it. He was just acting out a bit. Combined with the way he seems to cringe a bit before contact, I wonder about his toughness. But I could be crazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes